advertisement

Housing market

Quick ? - How long on average before a letting agent returns a deposit. Frank Innes said a minimum of 2 weeks and refused to give me a date. I told them it wasn’t acceptable as the keys were returned to the landlords with all parties happy. I also raised the point of them expecting a deposit to be paid immediately and not 2 weeks further down the line? I cannot see a valid reason for them to hold onto my money

Thanks in advance

The agent will contact the landlord after you have left and ask him to confirm that he doesn’t have a problem with the state of the property, and that they can return your deposit.

If the situation persists, my advice is that you speak directly to your landlord. Explain the situation to him, check that he has given the agents authorisation to return the money, and if he has, ask him to see if he can ask the agent to expedite things.

I'm wondering whether to even bother at all now, the way things are looking by the time I'm in any position to buy or the market cools off I'll very likely still owe on any potential mortgage past retirement. I think I've missed the boat in all honesty.
Persist, Matt, you'll get there in the end. The feature of renting in the current market is that rents will double every 15 years of so, your mortgage won't. Therefore a typical rent of say £700 a month will be nearer £1500 by 2037. Unless interest rates double plus a bit your mortgage to the same amount won't. You can then pay it off sooner if you want or need to. Likewise most pension plans allow you to take a chunk at the start for precisely this purpose.

Unless interest rates double

They’d still historically be on the floor, could easily treble or more. Of course, if you get a long term fix (10 years is not uncommon) you can mitigate against this.

OP, just keep badgering the agent. Unless the landlord hasn’t yet agreed to return the deposit (are they waiting for a price on any damages?) they should return it asap.

They’d still historically be on the floor, could easily treble or more. Of course, if you get a long term fix (10 years is not uncommon) you can mitigate against this.
They could indeed, especially in the current climate. However as you say you can get a fix, until not long ago you could get a 25 year fix at something like 5%. When rates were half that it seemed like a bad choice, less so now.

Edit - 2 year fix available at just over 2%. 10 years would be a little more, sure, but affordable and secure if you are stretching a bit for a few years.

They could indeed, especially in the current climate. However as you say you can get a fix, until not long ago you could get a 25 year fix at something like 5%. When rates were half that it seemed like a bad choice, less so now.

Edit - 2 year fix available at just over 2%. 10 years would be a little more, sure, but affordable and secure if you are stretching a bit for a few years.

With sterling under pressure, which imports even higher inflation, we could well see fast and multiple rate hikes. I’d have thought the longer the fix the better IMHO. If I wasn’t ‘on the ladder’ about the last thing I’d do right now is buy a house. Sleepwalking into a hurricane springs to mind.

With sterling under pressure, which imports even higher inflation, we could well see fast and multiple rate hikes. I’d have thought the longer the fix the better IMHO. If I wasn’t ‘on the ladder’ about the last thing I’d do right now is buy a house. Sleepwalking into a hurricane springs to mind.
Do you reckon it's another 2008 then? Could be, in certain parts of the country, for sure. Less so the Frozen North, you can still get housing for less than the price of the bricks in reasonable bits of less desirable towns.

Yank, in the UK all property rental deposits have to be independently held by one of 2 government approved organisations. Letting agents or landlords don't hold the money and if they want to withhold returning any of the deposit they have to justify it.
Gingerbeard if your letting agent or landlord is holding your deposit you should complain to The Housing Ombudsman.
I thought Landlords could hold deposits
See
https://www.thedisputeservice.co.uk/ask-tds-can-i-hold-my-tenants-deposit/

Do you reckon it's another 2008 then? Could be, in certain parts of the country, for sure. Less so the Frozen North, you can still get housing for less than the price of the bricks in reasonable bits of less desirable towns.

Nobody knows but there are a lot of folks who have bitten off more than they can chew. 10% inflation, soaring energy and fuel bills and increasing rates are going to wipe out any contingency and resilience of many. Remember, back in 2008 they had room to lower rates. Not now, it’s a perfect storm thanks to their solution of solving a debt problem with more debt. It will largely depend on what the banks do. If we start to see forced sales, prices will tumble but will of course give the next generation a chance (providing the banks will lend otherwise cash buyers will determine the price…).

Nobody knows but there are a lot of folks who have bitten off more than they can chew. 10% inflation, soaring energy and fuel bills and increasing rates are going to wipe out any contingency and resilience of many. Remember, back in 2008 they had room to lower rates. Not now, it’s a perfect storm thanks to their solution of solving a debt problem with more debt. It will largely depend on what the banks do. If we start to see forced sales, prices will tumble but will of course give the next generation a chance (providing the banks will lend otherwise cash buyers will determine the price…).
All true, meanwhile this "crash to end all crashes" has been talked about for 20 years and over this time plenty of people have lived their lives, bought houses, etc. Those houses are mostly now bought and paid for. Even those bought in 2007 have "caught up". As for banks still lending, yes they will, depending on the rate and % of value. Will I lend you £50k on a little semi in Grimsby worth £100k? If course I will. If you default, I'm always getting my money back. There isn't a financial crisis in the world, short of Vlad dropping a nuke on Grimsby, that will mean I can't get £50k back on that. Even if I can't, £400 pcm rent will do nicely thanks. So yes, there's a storm coming. Total destruction of all you can see? Hmm. Nope.

All true, meanwhile this "crash to end all crashes" has been talked about for 20 years and over this time plenty of people have lived their lives, bought houses, etc. Those houses are mostly now bought and paid for. Even those bought in 2007 have "caught up". As for banks still lending, yes they will, depending on the rate and % of value. Will I lend you £50k on a little semi in Grimsby worth £100k? If course I will. If you default, I'm always getting my money back. There isn't a financial crisis in the world, short of Vlad dropping a nuke on Grimsby, that will mean I can't get £50k back on that. Even if I can't, £400 pcm rent will do nicely thanks. So yes, there's a storm coming. Total destruction of all you can see? Hmm. Nope.

It has been talked of for 20+ years except we’ve had a decade of ZIRP to explode debt levels and house prices are set on the margin. Enough forced sales and prices will reduce. For many, monthly energy costs could overtake their mortgage or rent payment and tip them over the edge. A friend with a townhouse in York reckons he’ll be paying £10K a year in gas and electric. Record council tax rises etc. Big old draughty houses will become a liability, who is going to want to heat / run them? It’s interesting to see that nice flats now seem back in demand after nobody wanted them during covid. We do have to remember that successive govts have done everything they can to inflate house prices. When it starts getting wobbly, they’ll do something (which will cost us all in the long run but never mind eh…). However, right now, I see more downside than upside.

It has been talked of for 20+ years except we’ve had a decade of ZIRP to explode debt levels and house prices are set on the margin. Enough forced sales and prices will reduce.
True, as always. Happened in the early 90s, and again in 2008-10. Interestingly, the 88-90 onwards crash preceded 10 years of very cheap housing. In 1995 I bought my first house and went from paying £350 pm for a rente flat to £220 a mnth (ish) for a bigger house. That was a very common story amongst my friends and contemporaries. It didn't happen in 2008, the rise continued after a brief dip.

For many, monthly energy costs could overtake their mortgage or rent payment and tip them over the edge.
For sure, but that's all houses. The poor, as ever, will be hit worst because it doesn't cost twice as much to heat 100sqm as it does 50sqm, mostly because you don't heat the whole place all the time.

It’s interesting to see that nice flats now seem back in demand after nobody wanted them during covid.
That is interesting, however you're forgetting that that will only last until the first time you walk into the building and smell someone else's cooking and your oh-so-snooty "friend" says "Oh this is nice. Yes, I remember when we *had to* live in a flat. Still, it gets you on the ladder, doesn't it?"

We do have to remember that successive govts have done everything they can to inflate house prices. When it starts getting wobbly, they’ll do something.
They will. The UK has a funny relationship with housing. It has nothing to do with rational thinking and everything to do with using it as a barometer for the economy. The British public knows *nothing* about economics but it does think it knows about housing. "Well, it's bricks and mortar, innit? You know where you are with housing. Stanstereason dunnit?" The same public will put up with any degree of financial hardship provided their precious semi goes up more every year than inflation. Because that way they've "made money", haven't they? Well, if they hadn't paid interest on a loan and if everything else hadn't gone up, yes. But in fact not. But that's not the perception. The press reinforce this day in, day out.

So you are absolutely right. It's long overdue that we start living in smaller places. But we won't. Because if you live in a smaller place you are poor. If you live in a newer place, you are poor. If you want to be successful in the UK you need to have a new car and an old house. Erm, what? Well, old houses have character. So old cars don't? Yes but old cars are expensive on fuel. Right, and old houses...aren't? And old cars break down and need fixing. Riiiight, a bit like old houses then?

It makes no bloody sense. House builders advertise "starter homes" with 3 bedrooms "from £250,000". Starter, with 3 beds? Why? If you live on your own, or as a couple, why on earth would you need 3 beds? See above. If you don't have 3 beds, you're poor. Who wants to be poor? It will be a long, long time, and take a LOT of cultural change, before people in the UK will choose to live in a 40 sqm 1 bed flat through choice. I've said here before, there's no (effective) taxation on housing, there's no significant penalty to owning a bigger place, other than actually buying the joint. After that, it's gravy. I know, I moved from a 2 bed rented semi to a 4 bed family house. Did I need to buy anything so big? No. However given that I had the money, I'd be a mug not to.

WTF, so not only do you have to bid over asking but people are now sending begging letters?! Jesus wept.

“It’s not always the highest offer,” she says. “A lot of our buyers are putting together CVs, almost like a pitch to sellers … A key thing is that families are going to participate in village life.” She recounts that two buyers who were successful in recent days made a “lifestyle pitch” – sending letters about their families, with photos and promises that the children would go to local schools.

30 years ago when we bought our house many were trying to buy and some offering bribes to esate agent . we didnt . fortunately the owners wanted someone nice for the neighbours so we got it . no cv though !!!

Quick ? - How long on average before a letting agent returns a deposit. Frank Innes said a minimum of 2 weeks and refused to give me a date. I told them it wasn’t acceptable as the keys were returned to the landlords with all parties happy. I also raised the point of them expecting a deposit to be paid immediately and not 2 weeks further down the line? I cannot see a valid reason for them to hold onto my money

Thanks in advance

i would expect the deposit to be returned within 24 hours of landlord instruct. that would be my expectation . bacs is almost instant these days !!!

I thought Landlords could hold deposits
presumably they have to pay an insurance fee to do that ?? from the looks of that . at the moment its free to use a deposit protection service so i cant see much point holding onto it

All deposits must be held by a registered company/agent. The D.P.S. (Deposit Protection Service) is government run and free; easy to use, too. Accom. agents will, however try to get the landlord to sign up for their fee-paying schemes, of which there are 2 or 3. It can be a one-off upfront fee or an annual service charge.

I believe that if the agent manages rather than just tenant find, they're pretty insistent on holding the deposit. They'll take the deposit from the prospective tenant anyway and have 30 days to return it to the landlord if he wishes to use the D.P.S. All this happened to me over the course of a decade.

presumably they have to pay an insurance fee to do that ?? from the looks of that . at the moment its free to use a deposit protection service so i cant see much point holding onto it

I use Tenancy Deposit Scheme for the deposits I hold and pay a small premium every time I issue a new AST. I didn't realise there was a free way.

I believe that if the agent manages rather than just tenant find, they're pretty insistent on holding the deposit. .

Just say no. Goodfellows wanted to charge me £200 a pop for holding the deposit! Total rip off, it costs about £20 to insure, and the documentation is easy to get to the tenant through email.

advertisement

Back