advertisement

Housing market

i am not putting in cavity wall insulation due to all the scare stories i read !!

My own experience would suggest a no-no into those rare old cavity-walled houses (mine was 1870) and if a house with original suspended floors, you need to stick in a lot more air-bricks (my 1960s house) but if original solid floors as per my current 60s house, okay. Cavity wall insulation has been going for so long now that I'd've thought any industry-wide problems would've been identified. Of the 3 materials used (or once used), Rockwool still seems to be favourite.

some houses wont sell due to cavity wall insulation

https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/advice/cavity-wall-insulation-problems

As of 2020 there were an estimated 6 million homes with cavity wall insulation. Of those an estimated 1.5m have problems, according to The Guardian. That means that 75% of those homes are problem free.
What Problems can Occur With Cavity Wall Insulation?

Of the 25% a proportion will have a problem with the installation company rather than the cavity wall insulation itself – things like not clearing up after themselves, not turning up – any of the problems that might be expected with any project.

The rest are likely to have one (or both) of two potential problems; damp penetration or cold spots. They will both be fairly apparent and the first will be the result of something bridging the cavity and the second by a void in the insulation. Both will need to be remedied by getting the installer back to fix it, which is why the guarantee offered by Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency is a good idea.

Cavity wall insulation has been a bit of a bandwagon with a number of less than perfectly qualified people jumping on it to take advantage of grant funding. The numbers of these people has reduced in more recent years but they are still there. A major problem with the cavity wall insulation may mean it has to be removed, and that can be eye-wateringly expensive.

had an epc done today on a nice 70`s terrace . newish boiler and all led lighting . still only scraped a d though , he reckons it will be a minimum C by 2025 which will be very hard to achieve and will take out a lot of properties !!! i am not putting in cavity wall insulation due to all the scare stories i read !!

So if you don't put in wall insulation, what would you have to do?

Do you have double glazing, thermostatic radiator valves, modern boiler, roof insulation to whatever thickness they're looking for . . . ?

yes got all that

FeatureDescriptionRatingWallCavity wall, as built,poor no insulation (assumed)
RoofPitched, 200 mm loft insulation good

WindowFully double glazedAverage

Main heatingBoiler and radiators, mains gasGood
Main heating controlProgrammer, room thermostat and TRVsGood
Hot waterFrom main systemGood
LightingLow energy lighting in all fixed outletsVery good
FloorSuspended, no insulation (assumed)
N/ASecondary heatingRoom heaters, electricN/A

Step 1: Cavity wall insulation
Cavity wall insulation

Typical installation cost
£500 - £1,500
Typical yearly saving
£76
Potential rating after completing step 1
70 | C
Step 2: Floor insulation (suspended floor)
Floor insulation (suspended floor)

£800 - £1,200
Typical yearly saving
£40
Potential rating after completing steps 1 and 2
72 | C
Step 3: Solar water heating
Solar water heating

£4,000 - £6,000
Typical yearly saving
£24
Potential rating after completing steps 1 to 3
73 | C
Step 4: Solar photovoltaic panels, 2.5 kWp
Solar photovoltaic panels

£3,500 - £5,500
Typical yearly saving
£352
Potential rating after completing steps 1 to 4

yes got all that

FeatureDescriptionRatingWallCavity wall, as built,poor no insulation (assumed)
RoofPitched, 200 mm loft insulation good

WindowFully double glazedAverage

Main heatingBoiler and radiators, mains gasGood
Main heating controlProgrammer, room thermostat and TRVsGood
Hot waterFrom main systemGood
LightingLow energy lighting in all fixed outletsVery good
FloorSuspended, no insulation (assumed)
N/ASecondary heatingRoom heaters, electricN/A

Step 1: Cavity wall insulation
Cavity wall insulation

£500 - £1,500
Typical yearly saving
£76
Potential rating after completing step 1
70 | C
Step 2: Floor insulation (suspended floor)
Floor insulation (suspended floor)

£800 - £1,200
Typical yearly saving
£40
Potential rating after completing steps 1 and 2
72 | C
Step 3: Solar water heating
Solar water heating

£4,000 - £6,000
Typical yearly saving
£24
Potential rating after completing steps 1 to 3
73 | C
Step 4: Solar photovoltaic panels, 2.5 kWp
Solar photovoltaic panels

£3,500 - £5,500
Typical yearly saving
£352
Potential rating after completing steps 1 to 4

Are those savings figures based on energy cost before or after the recent eye-watering hikes?

Not sure what you mean by this; of course they do (?).

Except those who downsize, move abroad or to a cheaper part of the property market or into sheltered etc. housing or decide to rent because of job or other personal circumstances. Admittedly, possibly only part of their asset value, but this could be a fair chunk.

As obvious as the nose on your face.

I was told, by my employer they wanted me to move to a (much) more expensive area, they offered me (limited) help but the "on your bike" hint was there. I moved from a 3 bed semi to a 2 bed link detached (band bloody E for council tax). I can't downsize except to a 1 bed, so my only way to release equity is to move away. I'd happily move to be nearer my daughter or old friends but it's a pain in the bum for pensioners.

I bought a house where I am, it's worth exactly what it is.

Not sure what you mean by this; of course they do (?).

Except those who downsize, move abroad or to a cheaper part of the property market or into sheltered etc. housing or decide to rent because of job or other personal circumstances. Admittedly, possibly only part of their asset value, but this could be a fair chunk.

Mike, hi. Sorry, not sure what was hard to read/understand.
Read both of them again please, in addition, I'll spell it out.

The first sentence means that MOST people only own ONE house, not multiple.

In my second quoted sentence, I included the word "typically".
Yes, of course someone can move overseas, but in % terms, the actuality is pretty low.

Mike, hi. Sorry, not sure what was hard to read/understand.

Sorry for the ambiguity and my brain fog. The addition of 'just' or 'only' would have cut through my blinkered understanding. :) An awful lot of people own more than one property nowadays even if it's a beach hut worth a small fortune !;)

Last edited:
I'd happily move to be nearer my daughter or old friends but it's a pain in the bum for pensioners.

21 years ago I moved 175 miles away from my 2 daughters. The third obliged by kindly emigrating to Oz. Both followed me; one as a student and t'other for work. The student later returned to base and the youngest settled with family 14 miles away. It may be a p.i.t.a. to move for you but for me would be nigh on impossible for all the junk I've hoarded over the years as well as age-related inertia. That rustic property in southern France was an enjoyable pipe-dream a decade or more ago but currently rather glad I didn't pull the trigger on that one.

WTF, so not only do you have to bid over asking but people are now sending begging letters?! Jesus wept.

“It’s not always the highest offer,” she says. “A lot of our buyers are putting together CVs, almost like a pitch to sellers … A key thing is that families are going to participate in village life.” She recounts that two buyers who were successful in recent days made a “lifestyle pitch” – sending letters about their families, with photos and promises that the children would go to local schools.

WTF, so not only do you have to bid over asking but people are now sending begging letters?! Jesus wept.

“It’s not always the highest offer,” she says. “A lot of our buyers are putting together CVs, almost like a pitch to sellers … A key thing is that families are going to participate in village life.” She recounts that two buyers who were successful in recent days made a “lifestyle pitch” – sending letters about their families, with photos and promises that the children would go to local schools.

I think this is not a bad idea actually, not a begging letter but just a letter introducing yourself as someone who wants to buy. I’ve seen it done before, several times. Find a street or an area with property you want to buy, write a letter introducing yourself to all the owners saying that you’re interested in buying the flat or house, you’re ready and able to go ahead with the purchase, you are flexible, you love the neighbourhood and the house etc. Explain that you’re not a company making an investment, you’re an individual who actually wants to use it as their home. This could well prompt someone who’s thinking of selling to act. You can only win. At the very least you’ll be one of the first to know the house has come onto the market. At best you can do a private deal with the vendor, cutting out the estate agent - that means no agent’s fees for the seller, and a good price for you. Do it.

Just been sent a video of the appalling roof damage caused by damp in a council flat . The roof has 2 timbers holding the ceiling . Appalling what folks have to put up with . I have sent them solicitor details as council do nothing ....

My thoughts:
The rise of house values has been a great way to make things look good to the average home owner. However, it's not.
The reality is that most people who own their own home, own one. If they move, they're typically going to move to another house and thus never redeem the asset value.

The people who genuinely benefit are those with multiple houses. Firstly, they CAN sell and redeem some of the value increase. More importantly, they can rent it, and the more it's valued at, the more it's rented for. Finally, have enough owners of multiple owners, you can limit down supply.

Put all of the above together, and the reality is that the only group genuinely benefitting at the seriously rich.
The only solution I could see to this is to start limiting multi-house ownership.
But ONLY as long as ALL entities, private and commercial, are limited on the same basis - otherwise big landlord Tory friends, investment firms etc. will simply take more of it. See
I see in the states the big investment firms are hoovering up all the houses left right and centre, some within 15 minutes of being listed and then renting them out. This whole "You'll own nothing and be happy" meme really is playing out.

but just a letter introducing yourself as someone who wants to buy.

Have had a few agents' letters to this effect, quoting a specific buyer (fictitious or genuine; who knows?). Does show the appalling grasp of English that these agents have. My sister has noticed a similar linguistic deficit in agents' letters.

Quick ? - How long on average before a letting agent returns a deposit. Frank Innes said a minimum of 2 weeks and refused to give me a date. I told them it wasn’t acceptable as the keys were returned to the landlords with all parties happy. I also raised the point of them expecting a deposit to be paid immediately and not 2 weeks further down the line? I cannot see a valid reason for them to hold onto my money

Thanks in advance

I'm wondering whether to even bother at all now, the way things are looking by the time I'm in any position to buy or the market cools off I'll very likely still owe on any potential mortgage past retirement. I think I've missed the boat in all honesty.

Quick ? - How long on average before a letting agent returns a deposit. Frank Innes said a minimum of 2 weeks and refused to give me a date. I told them it wasn’t acceptable as the keys were returned to the landlords with all parties happy. I also raised the point of them expecting a deposit to be paid immediately and not 2 weeks further down the line? I cannot see a valid reason for them to hold onto my money

Thanks in advance

They need for it to earn another month's interest in their account before issuing the return.

Yank, in the UK all property rental deposits have to be independently held by one of 2 government approved organisations. Letting agents or landlords don't hold the money and if they want to withhold returning any of the deposit they have to justify it.
Gingerbeard if your letting agent or landlord is holding your deposit you should complain to The Housing Ombudsman.

advertisement

Back