advertisement

Housing market

What puzzles me is in this housing crisis (one more crisis!? ) why in Norfolk I am surrounded by new houses.

Along new ring roads and outlying villages there are thousands and thousands.

The question is where is the demand?
Perhaps all those priced out of London that now realise they can work from home in a detached house 100 miles away from "the smoke".

Couldn’t believe the construction going on when I was up that way in the summer, totally out of place. It’s the same in Cornwall. Feck all jobs (and infrastructure) but tens of thousands of new houses being built. If you’re down there, you’re not within striking distance of anywhere. No idea what’s driving the demand, even if you’re looking to retire down there, vast new estates are the last places you’d choose to live.

What puzzles me is in this housing crisis (one more crisis!? ) why in Norfolk I am surrounded by new houses.

Along new ring roads and outlying villages there are thousands and thousands.

The question is where is the demand?
Perhaps all those priced out of London that now realise they can work from home in a detached house 100 miles away from "the smoke".

Population growth, in a nutshell. 2011-21, Norwich +8.7%, South Norfolk +14.4%.

Couldn’t believe the construction going on when I was up that way in the summer, totally out of place. It’s the same in Cornwall. Feck all jobs (and infrastructure) but tens of thousands of new houses being built. If you’re down there, you’re not within striking distance of anywhere. No idea what’s driving the demand, even if you’re looking to retire down there, vast new estates are the last places you’d choose to live.
Cornwall or more accurately West Penwith was always a magical place for us. I’ve been visiting since about 69 but latterly less and less and after a gap of about five years went back just before the pandemic. There are still bits of the magic but so much has been built on and yet the locals can’t afford to buy and have been pushed out by second home owners. I always thought West Penrith should have been a national park, that opportunity was missed and it has gone.
I will go back in the winter sometime to say goodbye and thank you.

Cornwall or more accurately West Penwith was always a magical place for us. I’ve been visiting since about 69 but latterly less and less and after a gap of about five years went back just before the pandemic. There are still bits of the magic but so much has been built on and yet the locals can’t afford to buy and have been pushed out by second home owners. I always thought West Penrith should have been a national park, that opportunity was missed and it has gone.
I will go back in the winter sometime to say goodbye and thank you.

Yes, it’s a real shame. Back in the day, a friends parents owned the Gurnards Head. Used to have some brilliant nights in there, music, singing etc. It’s not just second homes though. Take St Agnes further up the coast. Used to be really quite cheap, as it should be for an unremarkable place on the wrong coast. Then the (very well paid for the area) Doctors and consultants from Treliske realised it was within the allowable distance to the hospital so they could surf before their shift and piled in. Try doing that journey now though, it’s total gridlock much of the time, and that’s before an effectively entire new town is built down the road…

You're right. Cornwall is right out on a limb with nothing happening down there. There's no money in the area to pay for all the housing going up.
I live in Devon, we're not quite as isolated but there's still a lot of houses being built but not a huge amount of high enough paid jobs to cover it all. People do like to retire here from other areas of the country but not usually into an overcrowded Bovis estate

You're right. Cornwall is right out on a limb with nothing happening down there. There's no money in the area to pay for all the housing going up.
I live in Devon, we're not quite as isolated but there's still a lot of houses being built but not a huge amount of high enough paid jobs to cover it all. People do like to retire here from other areas of the country but not usually into an overcrowded Bovis estate

The difference with Devon is if you’re within striking distance of Exeter, you can reach places fairly easily (hence the south hams being so desirable). Whenever I drive to Cornwall, I reach Exeter, think I’m nearly there, then realise I’ve got another 100 miles to go FFS!

Suburban sprawl in a world that is going to have to wean itself away from the car and covering good arable land

You’d think building vast estates with little corresponding infrastructure, as well as being reliant on cars, would be a daft thing to do, yet apparently not in much of the country! The challenge of course being brown field sites, whilst often in ‘better’ locations, can be very expensive to build on and can’t be justified in many areas.

Suburban sprawl in a world that is going to have to wean itself away from the car and covering good arable land

Well, what may look like 'sprawl' in some locations may make sense in terms of time and energy efficiency in terms of public transport and the distribution of physical goods, etc. Also can act as 'heat islands' to reduce the heating bills of the homes clustered together. And making use of 'area heating' projects, etc. May also help boost *local* businesses to compete with 'offshore' mega-companies that dodge UK tax, etc.

You’d think building vast estates with little corresponding infrastructure, as well as being reliant on cars, would be a daft thing to do, yet apparently not in much of the country

The daft bit is the "reliance on the car". The real lack many in the 'countryside' feel is the lack of convenient public transport. Again, the result of neo-idiotic dogma that 'privatised' local bus control, etc. One big effect is people who can't easily and cheaply get to and from a job just a few miles away unless they are paid enough to afford a car.

People do like to retire here from other areas of the country but not usually into an overcrowded Bovis estate
Many people like to retire to estates in Pembrokeshire from the East. They are releasing capital to buy new cars and exotic foreign holidays.
Then they get sick and discover that the local health infrastructure is overwhelmed. The only jobs there are as care workers.

Population growth, in a nutshell. 2011-21, Norwich +8.7%, South Norfolk +14.4%.
So the population growth is the result of the availability of housing at prices half that of London.
It figures.

Just as, conversely, my grandparents moved from Lincolnshire to the growing suburbs of South London, with new jobs, at the end of the 19th century.

So the population growth is the result of the availability of housing at prices half that of London.
It figures.

Just as, conversely, my grandparents moved from Lincolnshire to the growing suburbs of South London, with new jobs, at the end of the 19th century.

It's not people moving, it's population growth. Across the entire country over that period it was 3.7m. Birth figures aren't much higher than deaths, so most of that increase is adults and they've got to live somewhere.

It's not people moving, it's population growth.
I was looking at your figures of 8.7% Norwich and South Norfolk 14.4%
Both higher than UK (5.9%) for that period.

Anecdotally I, the OH and most of the people I know, including neighbours, weren't born in this county.

Quite a few retired from London on this estate. Developers included retirement bungalows.
And the new houses ready to live in, appeal to mobile retirees as well.

advertisement

Back