advertisement

Housing market

and yet private landlords are not making a living? I wish I could pay £234 a month and generate 850 revenu e.

On a place of mine, the SVR is 7.49% which is (fortunately) fully offset. The yield is circa 3%. For a landlord with a lumpy debt, you can do the math….

and yet private landlords are not making a living? I wish I could pay £234 a month and generate 850 revenu e.

The rental market here has gone bonkers, it cannot last. Houses come on the market, are sold to landlords out of the area, a quick slap n dash refurb, back on the market weeks later at astronomical rates.

On a place of mine, the SVR is 7.49% which is (fortunately) fully offset. The yield is circa 3%. For a landlord with a lumpy debt, you can do the math….
Yes indeed but you're in the SE where the asset goes up 7% + pa. Buy a street of BTLs in Grimsby for the price of one flat in London, you'll pick up 10% return on every one you let, but 10 years on they'll still be worth 9/10 of fxxk all.
As ever capital growth offsets rental revenue.

Yes indeed but you're in the SE where the asset goes up 7% + pa. Buy a street of BTLs in Grimsby for the price of one flat in London, you'll pick up 10% return on every one you let, but 10 years on they'll still be worth 9/10 of fxxk all.

The cash still needs to be found every month to pay the big mortgages in the SE, that’s the pressure point hurtling down the line for many.

I'd say a row of cheaper stuff with that yield will be the place to be with the crap coming down the line in the over heated markets.

The cash still needs to be found every month to pay the big mortgages in the SE, that’s the pressure point hurtling down the line for many.
Yes, it's a different model and too many people have historically thought that they could rent out a place for £600, mortgage of £500, guaranteed return of £100 a month, until a tenant defaults or leaves, then they don't have any reserve.

Yes, it's a different model and too many people have historically thought that they could rent out a place for £600, mortgage of £500, guaranteed return of £100 a month, until a tenant defaults or leaves, then they don't have any reserve.

Or their mortgage payment doubles….
I currently have a void on a place. It would rent in a matter of hours but it’s my choice because a previous tenant who lived there wants to return. They looked after it very well so happy to suck it up. Better the devil you know and all that.

The reality is that in that situation you just whack the rent up. If T doesn't like it you get rid. It'll take time, but with a level head it's mostly doable. And the more businesslike landlords will have taken out insurance against defaults and will have made sure that they can use an accelerated eviction procedure. The bottom line is that the losers aren't the landlords, or at least, not the sensible ones. It's the low rent tenants -- they'll just have to move to a less expensive part of the world or less salubrious accommodation I guess.

By the way, I know it's not really your point but I just searched for residential lettings for £600 within 20 miles of where I live -- Wimbledon. That radius goes into some not particularly stylish neighbourhoods -- like Tolworth and deepest Croydon. The only things are rooms in HMOs.

The pain with appreciating properties is the 28% CGT though 72% of a gain is still good. Whether it outweighs the risks in the current market is the question. Down to individual situations in reality.

The pain with appreciating properties is the 28% CGT though 28% of a gain is still good. Whether it outweighs the risks in the current market is the question. Down to individual situations in reality.

It'll come down because the country needs private landlords. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down in 2024 before the election.

Trouble is, if they whack it up even further, folks such as me will never, ever sell.
They don't need you to sell if you keep renting it. And you aren't going to stop renting it and let it sit empty while you pick up the charges, are you?

Got choice of 2 to sell next year , it will be the one with less cgt that goes although i dont want to sell anything as folks need homes .one is near a hospital and university with 3 parking spaces !! Very rare

They don't need you to sell if you keep renting it. And you aren't going to stop renting it and let it sit empty while you pick up the charges, are you?

The govt hate small landlords though and are doing everything in their power to make it unattractive, to enter, participate and even exit the market! It will be fascinating to see what labour do, assuming they win. My hunch is whatever they try will be trumped by the law of unintended consequences.

My mrs refuses to buy any btl because of labour ...been saying it for past 4 years remembering back to wilson and rent freeze eras . I just carried on regardless but becoming a bit unstuck with the mortgage rate rises as folks simply cannot afford big rent rises

A friend of my daughter was paying £450 a month last year then in August it increased to £600. She has just been notified by the landlord that it is going up to £750, she will then be homeless as no way can that be afforded. When she complained to them as to affordability the landlords response allegedly was " get out then ".
Dearie me, very sad situation.

A friend of my daughter was paying £450 a month last year then in August it increased to £600. She has just been notified by the landlord that it is going up to £750, she will then be homeless as no way can that be afforded. When she complained to them as to affordability the landlords response allegedly was " get out then ".

That's shocking! Is this type of landlord behaviour normal or rare?

advertisement

Back