advertisement

Housing market

The problem with rent caps is they attack symptoms rather than causes. Last time around it resulted in Rachmanism and swathes of seriously degraded properties.

Shock forecast of 20% rent rises in coming months

https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news...rket-to-be-most-competitive-ever-this-summer/

The Conservatives have ruled out a rent cap. There's no knowing what Labour will do if they win next year!

Crikey, I suppose people are just going to have to pay up or move to a cheaper area given the supply / demand levels. Worse case, what will labour do, realistically? I can already see a knife fight in a phone box at the next election when it comes to tax, I sense housing will be another.

Yeah, I never understood that mentality of..."Money's cheap so lets piss it away".
I personally took it for what it was....a once in a century opportunity to knuckle down, go without, pay off my own mortgage and grab some investment properties and pay them off asap too.

Which is great ...if you have sufficient income to buy multiple properties. And presumably enough left over for a Porsche.

Not knocking it. I paid off my mortgage as soon as I could when I was earning decent money. But that's never going to be most people's experience.

Which is great ...if you have sufficient income to buy multiple properties. And presumably enough left over for a Porsche.

Not knocking it. I paid off my mortgage as soon as I could when I was earning decent money. But that's never going to be most people's experience.

Yes, you and I did but alot didn't. They just used it as an excuse to spunk money up the wall...we all know some that did. I worked as hard as I could in the business, ran my cars into the ground, DIY'd everything I could, bought a cheap mobile home that the kids loved instead of shooting off to the continent..just hunkered down with the family as knew it wasn't going to last.

Crikey, I suppose people are just going to have to pay up or move to a cheaper area given the supply / demand levels. Worse case, what will labour do, realistically? I can already see a knife fight in a phone box at the next election when it comes to tax, I sense housing will be another.

Well he’s an agent so it may be best to take it with a bit of a pinch of salt, though I’m very pleased to say that he’s an agent for SW London, which is my manor.

Yep. London rent is expensive because London property is expensive. Only alternative I can see is to replace all the council housing that was sold off under Right To Buy.

On the tube there are posters where Sadiq Kahn says that he’s building more new council flats than at any time since the 1970s. I think he calls it The Golden Age of Council House Building.

This is one in SW19 - I’m not sure whether all the new housing will be social housing. Some of it is already built and occupied.

https://www.myclarionhousing.com/my-community/regeneration-projects/merton-london/high-path

Yes, you and I did but alot didn't. They just used it as an excuse to spunk money up the wall...we all know some that did.

Absolutely - I've worked with a few peeps on six figures who were constantly broke. Mind boggling really.

I just breath a deep sigh when folk in their 20s/30s trying to buy and finding themselves priced out get told it's because they spend too much in Costa.

Not much sympathy with the former. Lots of sympathy for the latter.

On the tube there are posters where Sadiq Kahn says that he’s building more new council flats than at any time since the 1970s. I think he calls it The Golden Age of Council House Building.

This is one in SW19 - I’m not sure whether all the new housing will be social housing. Some of it is already built and occupied.

https://www.myclarionhousing.com/my-community/regeneration-projects/merton-london/high-path

There definitely seem to be efforts to improve things - though my guess is there's still a long way to go.

Funnily enough I read a story yesterday about our neighbouring street. The local council (Greenwich) is planning to demolish a community centre that's used as a creche and build over the only green space in the estate to put up low-rise housing. They're arguing they have no choice to but to build over community spaces like this because they have targets to meet. Seems like a spectacularly thoughtless way to go about it.

Hmm. Lots of reductions coming through in the areas I monitor. Also quite a bit of new stuff coming to the market, I sense the screw is being turned.

There definitely seem to be efforts to improve things - though my guess is there's still a long way to go.

Funnily enough I read a story yesterday about our neighbouring street. The local council (Greenwich) is planning to demolish a community centre that's used as a creche and build over the only green space in the estate to put up low-rise housing. They're arguing they have no choice to but to build over community spaces like this because they have targets to meet. Seems like a spectacularly thoughtless way to go about it.
I imagine that places like Greenwich are between a rock and a hard place in this regard. The old industrial land has been built over years ago because of the massive demand, and there's not much left. Leeds is going the same way in the centre, newer developments are moving further out and into formerly grubby areas and there are fewer and fewer spaces available. Meanwhile Bradford is dying on its arxe because nobody wants to live there. There are dozens of empty wool mills going begging. A few get knocked down and redeveloped, but there are plenty just falling apart and being used as cannabis factories and the like.

I imagine that places like Greenwich are between a rock and a hard place in this regard. The old industrial land has been built over years ago because of the massive demand, and there's not much left.

It's a fair assumption though until recently Greenwich actually had quite a lot of heavy industry, especially by the river. Greenwich peninsula has been extensively redeveloped in recent years but almost exclusively for high-end luxury flats. Pretty much every developer has been allowed to reduce or remove their initial plans for including social housing.

As I've posted once or twice before the relationship between Greenwich council and large property developers is more than cosy. The current leader of the council also works for a firm who lobby the council on behalf of developers. A previous leader left to become a consultant for developers... etc etc

With the result that they build over the community centre and green in an existing estate rather than on prime riverside land.

P.S. OT but engineering nerds might be interested in the history of Enderby Wharf in Greenwich which used to be one of the largest manufacturers of submarine cable in world.

https://atlantic-cable.com/CableCos/EnderbysWharf/index.htm

Since that page was written Enderby House has been converted into a Youngs gastopub.
I imagine that Mr Enderby can trace his ancestors to Mid Lincolnshire, where there are a cluster of villages with the charming names of Wood Enderby, Mavis Enderby and Bag Enderby. They are all Norse names and -by is found all over the East Midlands and Yorkshire.

IMHO, you’re better off taking out a 35 year mortgage at 30 than not. The earlier the better really, over the long term, you’ll be ahead. As long as you don’t default, you’ll own the roof over your head prior to retirement. What would help are very long term fixes to avoid short term rate movements and provide payment stability and predictability.

Agree but it's getting to the point where the payoff takes much longer but then again we are all living longer.

Greenwich Council has a lot of land it could build on but it’s not in central Greenwich or Blackheath.

advertisement

Back