advertisement

Hindujas: Four members of Britain's richest family get jail sentences,

The billionaire class show again and again that being a monster is how they get so wealthy, not a result. Obviously not all greedy and empathy free people get rich, but there don't seem to be many rich people who are nice human beings.

In the world of business maybe. But the musicians who get rich are usually pretty decent blokes. They usually come up from the bottom, and as drummer Clifford Jarvis used to say "you meet a better class of people on the bottom".

Prakash Hinduja lives in Switzerland/Monaco. In 2021 was 'investigated' for tax evasion, human trafficking and residency fraud. Posted a CHF125m bond...
Gopichand lives in the UK.
Ashok got to stay in India.
edit Don't worry I'm sure our PM will be interceding for them. When he is not authorising military exports for Israel.

There are very rich people who live small and who act decently. For security-by-obscurity they are quiet and don't flaunt.

This leaves the many prominent bad examples who can't even live their chosen large-footprint lifestyle without gated communities, security etc.

One could choose to view e.g. Britain as a whole as a type of gated community with the border control as security. I think we should be trying to move in the direction of less environmental footprint and more sustainability, as a nation.

They weren't being paid 40p/hr. They were working in Switzerland where it would equate to about 20p/hr in equivalence..

I suspect they were being paid an amount of rupees in India that was probably a lot (in India). They were perhaps promised good working conditions in Switzerland with all their expenses covered. This is very illegal in Switzerland. Companies in Switzerland even have to pay staff the equivalent of a Swiss salary for people who come on business trips.

Not only have the family been given jail sentences, they have also been told to pay 850 000 ChF in compensation.
I was basing the 40p figure on the reported 'as little as £7 for an 18hr shift' = 38.89p/hr. The broader point I was alluding to was the exploitative greed of these people extends to those you'd think they'd have the sense to reward and invest in. They are scum.

So are any of them within reach of the Swiss authorities? Will they actually go to prison?
I have my doubts.....
If they go to a country with a Swiss extradition treaty, yes they will. They are convicted criminals, the border authorities look for such individuals and arrest them if found.

"Four members of Britain's richest family get jail sentences,"​

How rich are they if Itchy Ballsack isnt up there with them:rolleyes:
£37 billion according to the Sunday Times rich list.

“A household budget document entitled “pets” showed the family spent £7,600 a year on their dog, Bertossa said. Staff were paid a salary between £195 and £355 a month, far below what they could expect to earn in Switzerland. Bertossa told the court: “They spent more for one dog than one of their servants.”

“Since the death of SP Hinduja, the family patriarch, last year, it has been led by Prakash’s brother Gopichand, 84. The family assets include the Raffles Hotel at the Old War Office in Whitehall, which opened last year and charges £25,000 a night for a premium suite.”

Over here along Lake Geneva this seems to be customary among the well-off Indian communities. I have heard of many, many such cases over the decades, this is the very first I hear if someone being condemned. As usual, whether someone will really end up in jail is another matter, let alone do the full sentence.

They weren't being paid 40p/hr. They were working in Switzerland where it would equate to about 20p/hr in equivalence..

I suspect they were being paid an amount of rupees in India that was probably a lot (in India). They were perhaps promised good working conditions in Switzerland with all their expenses covered. This is very illegal in Switzerland. Companies in Switzerland even have to pay staff the equivalent of a Swiss salary for people who come on business trips.

Not only have the family been given jail sentences, they have also been told to pay 850 000 ChF in compensation.
£360 a month which is 90% of the wage they should have been paid in Switzerland.

I spent a weekend in Brescia in Switzerland around 2003 and couldn’t believe how expensive it was for run of the mill items, I remember we paid £25 for a bottle of house wine and a meal of pizza for four including said wine was £125.

If they go to a country with a Swiss extradition treaty, yes they will. They are convicted criminals, the border authorities look for such individuals and arrest them if found.

Two of them are in hospital in Switzerland I think the son is in Germany in the jail and the other one is in India I think.

What baffles me is "why?" They are so filthy rich they could pay their servants lavishly, have happy, smiling faces around them, and servants who feel pride in their jobs and work gladly and willingly. Why?

Many equate wealth (and education for that matter) with good character.

Two of them are in hospital in Switzerland I think the son is in Germany in the jail and the other one is in India I think.
so I imagine that the son wil l be going on a one way bus ride to Switzerland, at least. The ones in hospital will I imagine claim "too sick to leave" for as long as possible .

so I imagine that the son wil l be going on a one way bus ride to Switzerland, at least. The ones in hospital will I imagine claim "too sick to leave" for as long as possible .

Doubt any of them will be doing jail time Steve. The older one, Prakash, was done for tax evasion and human trafficking back in 2007.

I mean how much money do some people need?

Colin Weir was an STV cameraman who won £161m on the lottery with his wife back in 2012, the guy died back in 2019, but he handed out about £40m to his family and friends and to his local football club Patrick thistle, he gave them a £1m to enable the supporters to own the club.

That‘s how you treat wealth not horde it the guy had about £40m left , presuming he split the win with his wife, when he died at 71 which is plenty of money to live out the rest of your life he also gave his wife a £3.5million home when they divorced.

“Prakash was convicted in 2007 on similar charges. He faces a separate tax case brought by the Swiss authorities.”

advertisement

Back