advertisement

Hindujas: Four members of Britain's richest family get jail sentences,

This, IMHO, is purely entitled Indian people, traditionally keeping the casting system alive and evil.

I've seen the same in the UK, in business too.

I've seen (and yes, I've reported them) asian run businesses, "employ" what they call "freshes" (I hate this term BTW) and pay them a pittance. They also "employ" members of the same family, sometimes extended families, at their home.
They hold them to ransom with passports. It's slavery.

Sadly, as part of this archaic system, that it's those at "the bottom of the ladder", except it's part of their life and/or have no choice.

I could give several, witnessed examples, but it's truly upsetting.

Is it possible to become a billionaire without someone, somewhere suffering exploitation or worse?
I think it is possible. J.K.Rowling, football players, actors, film directors and producers spring to mind. But even in commerce and finance I'm sure it is possible.
What we are talking about here is a form of gratuitous physical and psychological oppression, so that your servants are no longer human beings like those they serve, but an inferior form of life, which perhaps serves to underline (underpin?) the "superiority" of those served. This family is worth £37 billion! They are not doing it to save money. I'm sure they do not travel "tourist class" or wear ready-made clothes.

It’s just like the good old days of the Raj.
This is sadly the case. It's a power thing and the Indian ruling classes expect it. It's still normal in India to employ servants on very little pay for long hours and have them living on the roof. As Anil says above, it's underpinned by their rigid class system.

Very often massive amounts of money seems to breed (or come with) massive amounts of entitlement, including an implied "permission" to treat everyone else as you please.

Another example: I doubt Jeff Bezos and Amazon would go under if they actually gave their warehouse workers and drivers more decent conditions, but instead he/they choose to spend as much money if not more on union-busting and surveillance tech.

I tend to suspect that being able to extract huge wealth from the people around them tends to push the extractor to wish to believe they are "worth it". That in turn sets out a path to feeling they are inherently superior to most people and can therefore treat poorer people as rubbish. This probably isn't true in all cases. But it is hard to see how someone can justify to themself that they are morally "worth" billions.

The English language examples this in how we are all conditions to use terms like "he is worth" in such cases rather than "he has got". Similar odd use of "earned" meaning "others working for them have enabled extraction".

No one should have that amount of wealth no one needs that amount of wealth their ‘fortune’ should confiscated and redistributed for the good of others, leave them with a few million quid simple as that.

£25,000 a night to stay in their London hotel it’s obscene.

In the gusto with which the media is reporting the story, I wonder if there may not be a touch of "race-revanchism." "Look at these Indian super-billionaires, they may be super-billionaires and send their kids to Westminster or Eton, but at the core they behave like feudal savages."
I wonder if the family had been English or American the story would have had so much attention.

Well done to the swiss but a question, does anyone think that if they lived in the UK this case had been brought, and if it was, that they would have been sentenced to prison. I know what I think.

Well done to the swiss but a question, does anyone think that if they lived in the UK this case had been brought, and if it was, that they would have been sentenced to prison. I know what I think.

Who knows but there’s been similar cases here and people have been jailed.

Wasn‘t there a case recently with a Saudi woman mistreating a maid?

It doesn't get much bigger than this case below apologies for the DM content.

• Murderer Prince Saud bin Abdulaziz bin Nasir flown back to Saudi Arabia
  • He is the grandson of Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah
  • The prince murdered his servant in a London hotel in 2010
Prince Saud bin Abdulaziz bin Nasir, a grandson of Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah, was jailed in 2010 for killing Bandar Abdullah Abdulaziz in a London hotel after subjecting him to a 'sadistic' campaign of violence and sexual abuse.

When I was 16 or 17 and living in Geneva (1969) with a group of friends we went to a house in Cologny. It was a a big house, with lots of wood furniture and panelling, and one of the sons, with whom we went to school and who had invited us, had his own little semi-detached house. Memories are vague, but I remember the house was surrounded by a large but simple garden, with a lawn that stretched for about 50 meters to the edge of the lake. There was also a covered dock, and when it was time to go our host loaded us into a big, beautiful speedboat of varnished wood, probably a Chris Craft or Riva or similar, and "drove" us back to Geneva. He dropped us off just by the Movenpick restaurant, for anyone familiar with Geneva.
I remember thinking: "This is how I want to live when I grow up." But I failed, so far.
The house belonged to the Pauling (Linus Pauling) family. Might be the same house.....

When I was 16 or 17 and living in Geneva (1969) with a group of friends we went to a house in Cologny. It was a a big house, with lots of wood furniture and panelling, and one of the sons, with whom we went to school and who had invited us, had his own little semi-detached house. Memories are vague, but I remember the house was surrounded by a large but simple garden, with a lawn that stretched for about 50 meters to the edge of the lake. There was also a covered dock, and when it was time to go our host loaded us into a big, beautiful speedboat of varnished wood, probably a Chris Craft or Riva or similar, and "drove" us back to Geneva. He dropped us off just by the Movenpick restaurant, for anyone familiar with Geneva.
I remember thinking: "This is how I want to live when I grow up." But I failed, so far.
The house belonged to the Pauling (Linus Pauling) family. Might be the same house.....
Wow. A separate house for kids/grannies/staff that's 50m from the water. That is the way to live.

advertisement

Back