advertisement

Highway Code Changes

It would be good if rule changes like this were made available to us expats coming in to hire a car. Malaysia has similar but nothing like identical diving rules, so I expect that the accumulation of changes in the 24 years I have been away are significant

Yes, everyone wishing to hire a car should have to pass a short exam on the rules of the road before being allowed to do so (not just expats). The results could be held electronically alongside their covid pass.

Yes, everyone wishing to hire a car should have to pass a short exam on the rules of the road before being allowed to do so (not just expats). The results could be held electronically alongside their covid pass.
I said the same about the council rental bikes, a very simple and quick multiple choice test when signing up to the rental scheme, to give non driving cyclists a bit of knowledge on the rules of the road.

These changes are well meaning but I can see too much ambiguity over such things as priorities at junctions.

How many of the 30 million existing drivers will take on these new rules when most of them don't seem to have remembered what they needed to know for their driving test years ago.

I can see pedestrians also being confused at cars stopping at junctions when they are accustomed to waiting for a clear road before crossing.

One good principle I've mentioned before. It used to be in the Highway Code but I don't think it is now. Applies to ALL road users including pedestrians.
' Never perform any manoeuvre which will oblige another road user to change speed or direction.'

Which of course covers multiple sins such as pulling out in front, changing lanes without warning or due care...stepping out into the carriageway, etc,etc.

Clearly there is one unavoidable exception, in that if you are obliged to slow down or brake hard by 'circumstances',then you hopefully oblige following traffic to do the same, but that is of course their responsibility.

There are far more drivers in charge of motor vehicles than riding bikes; law of averages says you have more idiots who are ultimately in charge of circa 2 tonnes of metal.

It is a well established principle that the bigger vehicle, the more training is required to operate it safely.

I mainly cycle in the Peak District & have become accustomed to close passes & abuse being hurled, it’s very sad but I don’t want it to stop me riding.

I had a really dangerous one in the Hope Valley last week, 60mph close pass with blaring horn, terribly frightening. We actually caught up with him as he dropped off his wife/girlfriend & daughter off at the pool. Fancy behaving I’m such a manner; words were said but you have to be careful with psychopaths.

I think it is just ingrained in our culture now, it’s all about the car & motorists always want more roads, more free parking etc. We need a real shift in culture if we are to make a difference in road etiquette; I am not optimistic.

I think a lot of pedestrians are going to get seriously injured or killed before these odd changes sink in, assuming more than a handful are even aware.

As a pedestrian, if I walk to tesco, don’t stop at the junction where cars turn left into the car park, and I just carry on walking across the road I’m very likely to get splatted by a car. It’s a daft change, imo. I wonder which idiot came up with this one. I also can’t see cyclists giving way to pedestrians, especially in covid capital.

I think a lot of pedestrians are going to get seriously injured or killed before these odd changes sink in, assuming more than a handful are even aware.

As a pedestrian, if I walk to tesco, don’t stop at the junction where cars turn left into the car park, and I just carry on walking across the road I’m very likely to get splatted by a car. It’s a daft change, imo. I wonder which idiot came up with this one. I also can’t see cyclists giving way to pedestrians, especially in covid capital.

They are sensible changes and we just need a bit of communication so people know about it. Even then it will take time to become routine. Like you I won’t be running off the pavement and onto the road at a junction without looking over my shoulder first just yet but I guess in a couple of years when I look a car will be stopped to let me pass. That will be a good thing and society will be a little bit kinder for it.

They are sensible changes and we just need a bit of communication so people know about it. Even then it will take time to become routine. Like you I won’t be running off the pavement and onto the road at a junction without looking over my shoulder first just yet but I guess in a couple of years when I look a car will be stopped to let me pass. That will be a good thing and society will be a little bit kinder for it.
I’m not for or against the changes, it is what it is and I will behave accordingly in my car but I won’t be changing my behaviour as a pedestrian. Too dangerous.

Overall, I see virtually no benefit from this when balanced against the cost of it being almost certain some people are going to be seriously injured or killed during that couple of years you refer to. Whether that is down to lack of comms doesn’t seem that relevant to me when someone is in a box or has life changing injuries. I guess the bottom line is I’m happy for vehicles to have priority at a junction, I’m never in any great rush to cross the road. What is the benefit, exactly?

There are a lot of learner drivers around here. I’ll be watching with interest how they are instructed when I’m waiting at a corner to cross the road.

It will remain the responsibility of all road users to have regard for their own and others’ safety. I really don’t see a problem, unless you previously had no regard for safety.

Give way to pedestrians when turning has alway been expected. Case law in the courts has eroded the pedestrians right of way over a long period, however.

It will remain the responsibility of all road users to have regard for their own and others’ safety. I really don’t see a problem, unless you previously had no regard for safety.
Tony,

I hope that is a general ‘you’ and is not referring to me in that last sentence.

Give way to pedestrians when turning has alway been expected. Case law in the courts has eroded the pedestrians right of way over a long period, however.
If they have started to cross.

See rule 170.

I'm not convinced that stopping for a pedestrian on a pavement will always be wise. What I have in mind is turning off a main road (perhaps with a 60mph or 70mph limit) onto a side street. Depending on visibility at the junction I can foresee situations where the car driver will be required to stop half on the side street and half on the main road (ie across the junction).

The traffic behind the vehicle on the main road should be ready to stop and traveling at a suitable distance behind but if they can't stop they will either overtake at the junction (illegal) or possibly run into the back of the vehicle turning into the side street. The new rule is practical in 30mph zones but when turning off a fast road, possibly a 70mph dual carriageway, stopping on such roads cannot be a good idea.

I'm not convinced that stopping for a pedestrian on a pavement will always be wise. What I have in mind is turning off a main road (perhaps with a 60mph or 70mph limit) onto a side street. Depending on visibility at the junction I can foresee situations where the car driver will be required to stop half on the side street and half on the main road (ie across the junction).

The traffic behind the vehicle on the main road should be ready to stop and traveling at a suitable distance behind but if they can't stop they will either overtake at the junction (illegal) or possibly run into the back of the vehicle turning into the side street. The new rule is practical in 30mph zones but when turning off a fast road, possibly a 70mph dual carriageway, stopping on such roads cannot be a good idea.

I think that if you have slowed down from 70mph to a speed where you can successfully make the turn that you are already at risk. And the road could be blocked by something other than a pedestrian anyway.

I think that if you have slowed down from 70mph to a speed where you can successfully make the turn that you are already at risk. And the road could be blocked by something other than a pedestrian anyway.
We're talking degrees of chance here. Drivers behind mostly try to predict what the car in front will do. If the car starts to turn but then unexpectedly stops risk is increased. Of course, it can happen with or without this new rule but the new rule makes it more likely.

We have a 4-lane 60mph road near us where cars unexpectedly stop in lane 2 to turn across the other 2 lanes to access a garage. There's a bad accident there at least once per year. After a few years people will adapt to the new rule but in the meantime, it'll be messy.

advertisement

Back