1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Hifi that gives you "the fizz"

Discussion in 'audio' started by GruntPuppy, Nov 9, 2019.

1. GruntPuppy

GruntPuppy Well-Known Member

To partially quote James May, I was thinking about hifi, and what gives me "the fizz."

Basically, I seem to have a real thing about black minimalist audio equipment. I realise that an awful lot of the equipment I've sold off has been silver, but I've been holding back on selling the black stuff.

So, if it's big, black, menacing looking audio, that's my fizz. Thankfully there's plenty of good sounding equipment out there that fits my aesthetic needs. And besides, just like red makes cars go faster, black makes audio equipment sound better ;)

What aesthetics govern your choices of equipment?

Musicraft likes this.
  2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

GruntPuppy likes this.
  3. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

None whatsoever. Music does that, not the nuts and bolts (and valves) that produce it.

I have never been into or remotely impressed with mine is bigger than yours, arguments.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The timeless design classics for me; TD-124, 301, Quad ESL, proper vintage Tannoys, Khorns, Altec, Leak, Yamaha, Marantz, McIntosh, Krell, Naim etc. In the audio world you really can own the equivalent of Concorde, an E-Type, an Eames recliner or whatever, so why wouldn’t you?!

Torris12 and GruntPuppy like this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

For a moment there I thought this was going to be an alternative 'System Pic's' thread, but I'm glad to see that another dimension is creeping in.:D

Wish I had time to work out Flikr or others so that I could post pic's, but I do agree with Vinny inasmuch as it's the 'fizz' of hearing superb transparent and involving music rather than the mish-mash of kit that I have which is the important bit (but there's quite a lot of it!)

6. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Concorde - a magnificent statement of engineering technology at the time. Commercially a total flop until it gained kudos as it neared death. Laughable by today's standards.
    E-Type - another design statement and extension piece that is subject to the very same laws on the road as a Trabbie
    Eames chairs - at least they are comfortable.

GruntPuppy likes this.
  7. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

Not sure I am fully on top of the concept of the fizz but I like high quality sound that is heard but not seen. Speakers built into walls or cupboards, hardware in cupboards or possibly on bookshelves among the books, tablet as controller or possibly phone but less so a computer or TV which I would also wish to hide except when in use. I may have missed the point.

8. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

LLLOL - I think that you hit the nail squarely on the head.

Horses for courses...………………...

GruntPuppy likes this.
  9. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

I was always amazed at the quality of finish that the Japanese manufacturers got on the facia of amps and tuners in the 70’s like Pioneer for example.
    The JR149 was always a looker to me and I strangely really like the white / black baffle and clear polypropylene bass driver look of the Mission 770. The Lecson and Meridian kit always pretty good as well.
    Must admit the narrow tall speakers of today visually leave me cold.

GruntPuppy likes this.
  10. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

I prefer the minimalist style with as less buttons as possible so Naim is okay for me and Sugden even better. The McIntosh and Nagra stuff is impressive but I don’t want those in my living room, I’m not a Christmas tree freak ! :eek:

Old Shatterhand likes this.
  11. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

GruntPuppy and gintonic like this.
  12. Durmbo

Durmbo not French

Looking forward to receiving an Onix OA21 Icon. I've lusted after the original forever, unfortunately practically unavailable in my country.

13. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I kind of miss the valve amp I used to own (Border Patrol). Other than that, it's just a bunch of boringly reliable black boxes.

14. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I had a pre and power amp set in 1990 with no buttons, controls, mains switches anywhere on them. Strictly speaking, the pre and power had solitary a touch sensor on the blank fascia but you wouldn’t know it was there.

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator

15. tuga

tuga European

I don't do vinyl but this one looks prety:

[​IMG]

GruntPuppy likes this.
  16. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Is it Simon Yorke?

Tarzan likes this.
  17. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

18. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

I'm boring...I just want VU meters on my amp, big ones like on the expensive Luxman amps.

booja30 and GruntPuppy like this.
  19. chartz

chartz pfm Member

GruntPuppy likes this.
  20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Think I'd be lost without view meters now; they're not just for looks !