advertisement

Hifi that gives you "the fizz"

What did you think of AN J speakers? I've just acquired the Ks and am finding them a bit toppy, though smooth and easy going apart from that, do they need valves to sound right?

I loved my AN/Js moved them on for some AN/E SPe Signatures. J's were a little light in the bass, AN/Es are definitely not. Oh yes valves IMO are a must with AN speakers.

I had a lovely piece of kit years ago. I would have kept it but the sound quality just wasn't there...

5lWM8k1.jpg

I was always interested in 47 Labs. How did that sound and in what way did you not like it?

I was always interested in 47 Labs. How did that sound and in what way did you not like it?

Me too. As I understand it, the minimalist class T required rather sensitive speakers, and wasn't too hot in the bass registers. Perfect for Japanese home market listening tastes :)

Looks and sound.
Are they compatible?
I am sure Kef LS50s sound good, but I couldn’t live with the look.
My Harbeth P3-ESRs look good ( to me ) and sound good as well...

Rolled-off frequency extremes, not particularly resolving, imaging not particularly focused.
After the Orgue single-drivers I tried them with a pair of Consonance horns:

2634476752_3084b36dbc_z.jpg

I like huge paper cone bass drivers, anything that glows (used to like it in blue before some know it all pointed out that it probably meant a damaged valve, so now I like orange best), and real wood. Anywhere and in any order. Oddly that also seems to add up to a nice sound.

and odder, I've just realised that I own none of that at all right now (barring wood spk. cabs). Damn.

Turntables, the original Rega, Michell's Focus, Gyro & Orbe, Nottingham Analogue turntables, Platine Verdier, Linn LP12, Garrads and Thorens in beautiful wood plinths, Brinkmann turntables.
Tonearms & cartridges , pretty much all of them, I really love tonearms.
Amps, sometimes minimalist designs like the Naim Nait , Projects 30 watt intergrated from the 90's, Sugdens A21a more quirky designs like the original green Hammerite Alchemist Kraken, Michell Allectos, most valve amps but In particular classics and modern boutique hand made stuff.
Anything with VU meters, especially Accuphase.
Top loading CD players, Audiomeca, Pathos, Rega
Speakers, too many too list.

My lovely neighbours popped in the other day and looked at the Quads I am demoing. I tried to explain that quality of sound more than compensates for their size and position in the room. He nodded sagely, She didn’t seem to understand a word I was saying! Most odd.

I get the impression that most secondhand sales of Quads are from chaps whose ladies have ordered them to get rid of them! Cats are much easier to accommodate, as long as you occasionally play Bach on them (the speaker that is) - strange choice for a cat...

advertisement

Back