1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Hifi that gives you "the fizz"

Discussion in 'audio' started by GruntPuppy, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Frankiesays

Frankiesays Rats is life.

What did you think of AN J speakers? I've just acquired the Ks and am finding them a bit toppy, though smooth and easy going apart from that, do they need valves to sound right?

2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

I loved my AN/Js moved them on for some AN/E SPe Signatures. J's were a little light in the bass, AN/Es are definitely not. Oh yes valves IMO are a must with AN speakers.

chris@panteg and Frankiesays like this.
  3. Tim Jones

Tim Jones pfm Member

I was always interested in 47 Labs. How did that sound and in what way did you not like it?

4. GruntPuppy

GruntPuppy pfm Member

Me too. As I understand it, the minimalist class T required rather sensitive speakers, and wasn't too hot in the bass registers. Perfect for Japanese home market listening tastes :)

5. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Looks and sound.
    Are they compatible?
    I am sure Kef LS50s sound good, but I couldn’t live with the look.
    My Harbeth P3-ESRs look good ( to me ) and sound good as well...

Gervais Cote likes this.
  6. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

Were the 135’s giving you the fizz on all kinds of music or mostly on fast rhythmic and rock music ?

7. tuga

tuga European

Rolled-off frequency extremes, not particularly resolving, imaging not particularly focused.
    After the Orgue single-drivers I tried them with a pair of Consonance horns:

[​IMG]

8. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

I like huge paper cone bass drivers, anything that glows (used to like it in blue before some know it all pointed out that it probably meant a damaged valve, so now I like orange best), and real wood. Anywhere and in any order. Oddly that also seems to add up to a nice sound.

and odder, I've just realised that I own none of that at all right now (barring wood spk. cabs). Damn.

9. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Turntables, the original Rega, Michell's Focus, Gyro & Orbe, Nottingham Analogue turntables, Platine Verdier, Linn LP12, Garrads and Thorens in beautiful wood plinths, Brinkmann turntables.
    Tonearms & cartridges , pretty much all of them, I really love tonearms.
    Amps, sometimes minimalist designs like the Naim Nait , Projects 30 watt intergrated from the 90's, Sugdens A21a more quirky designs like the original green Hammerite Alchemist Kraken, Michell Allectos, most valve amps but In particular classics and modern boutique hand made stuff.
    Anything with VU meters, especially Accuphase.
    Top loading CD players, Audiomeca, Pathos, Rega
    Speakers, too many too list.

10. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

ESLs, should I out last Mrs Nobeone (unlikely) I'm getting some.

Colonel_Mad likes this.
  11. chartz

chartz pfm Member

My ESL 57s then.

12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

She'd be ecstatic with electrostatics, no doubt (slight note of cynicism bordering on sarcasm there!) :D

13. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

Apoplectic probably closer to the truth ;)

14. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

I'll get back to you should something unfortunate happen, until then, your 57s are safer with you ...

15. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Oh no, I meant, my ESLs give me "the fizz"!

16. camverton

camverton pfm Member

My lovely neighbours popped in the other day and looked at the Quads I am demoing. I tried to explain that quality of sound more than compensates for their size and position in the room. He nodded sagely, She didn’t seem to understand a word I was saying! Most odd.

I get the impression that most secondhand sales of Quads are from chaps whose ladies have ordered them to get rid of them! Cats are much easier to accommodate, as long as you occasionally play Bach on them (the speaker that is) - strange choice for a cat...

17. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

most unkind, forcing a bark on a cat...

18. mattgbell

mattgbell Help the elderly and unwell!

... best served with a horn in a blue baffle.
    [​IMG]

rough edges, Rockmeister and booja30 like this.
  19. tuga

tuga European

I find this a most beautiful design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. tuga

tuga European

Last one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]