advertisement

HIFI amps with reasonable cost/W

anjora

pfm Member
personally i plan to build speakers with a total powerhandling of 1800W/channel

The aespeaker woofers seams interesting and has a power handling of 500W/woofer (i think i will go for 2x td12m for each channel), the midranges+tweeter has a total power handling of 800w

My plan is to use a digital XO(mdac2+slave, tanks johnW for your work) and a passive second order XO between the squawker and tweeter. 4x 500W seams to be a good compromise.

2x Emotiva XPR-2 has enough power but i am not satisfied with the noisefloor http://www.audioholics.com/amplifie...amplifier/emotiva-xpr1-amplifier-measurements (emotiva XPR-2 should be slightly worse)

Most high quality amps is to expensive for me to consider buying a new one, i am looking at second hand AMPs and hopefully i will find something good. Generally it is better to be AMP limited than to be limited by your drivers since most amplifiers performs well until a certain voltage(the amount of current usually matters less unless it is very high) where the THD rises rapedly, most speaker drivers start to distort gradualy with increased voltage. Ideally your amp should not clip when the DAC it at volume 0 and the drivers should tolerate the load.

I think i will go for Hypex ucd700 for the subwoofers if/when i get them but i do not plan to use classD for any high frequency drivers

my requirements for the AMPs is
-fully balanced
-over 500W/channel(HD <1%/N² for order N).
-less than £4000 for 4 channels
-S/N ratio over 125dB dBA

-fully balanced

I know you wrote that you don't want class D for mid/high, but I am not sure why. I suggest you have an other look at the Hypex nc400, as it satisfies your criteria pretty well.

I know you wrote that you don't want class D for mid/high, but I am not sure why. I suggest you have an other look at the Hypex nc400, as it satisfies your criteria pretty well.
I do consider a Hypex nc400 to drive each woofer. Still i think i will use classAB for the tweeter+squawker.

You should move this to the DIY room, you'll get much more response in their.

I'd like to hear much more about your speaker design please :)

I do consider a Hypex nc400 to drive each woofer. Still i think i will use classAB for the tweeter+squawker.

Bruno considers that the improvements that the nCore brings are mainly in the high frequencies, so for the woofer, a UcD would probably be just as good.

Why do you want AB for mid/high?

-fully balanced

You might want to take a look at the Merdian 559 only available s/h. They don't on paper seem to meet your s/n but when I press my ear to each of the 8 drivers in my speakers there is zero noise that I can hear.

Each amp is a dual mono block with its own 1.2KVA xformer and power supply components . Will deliver 500W into 4 Ohms or 1600w into 4 Ohms bridged. Two of these will come in at around £2600-3000 for 4 channels @ 500W. These babies can deliver current - short term burst of 150A into 1 Ohm.

An added bonus is that being s/h you can move them on with little if any loss if they don't satisfy.

http://www.meridian-audio.info/show.php?compid=145

I use two 559s each bridged to drive my speakers.

Cheers,

DV

You should move this to the DIY room, you'll get much more response in their.

I'd like to hear much more about your speaker design please :)
I will tell more when they are for sale or if i start a crowdfunding campain(depending on which investments who is needed) Specifications:
-capable of 119dB at 10khz
-capable of 125dB 3khz...1hz (with subwoofers and room gain)
I actually made a matlab script to see how the off-axis frequency response depends on driver size and placement, very interesting(most people forget to factor in the diffraction pattern from the drivers). I think i will start a new thread if i decide to build my own AMP(maybe on faktiskt.se

You might want to take a look at the Merdian 559 only available s/h. They don't on paper seem to meet your s/n but when I press my ear to each of the 8 drivers in my speakers there is zero noise that I can hear.

Each amp is a dual mono block with its own 1.2KVA xformer and power supply components . Will deliver 500W into 4 Ohms or 1600w into 4 Ohms bridged. Two of these will come in at around £2600-3000 for 4 channels @ 500W. These babies can deliver current - short term burst of 150A into 1 Ohm.

An added bonus is that being s/h you can move them on with little if any loss if they don't satisfy.

http://www.meridian-audio.info/show.php?compid=145

I use two 559s each bridged to drive my speakers.
Interesting, i will see if i can find then for a resonable price inkluding shipping. I promise to post measurement results if i buy one(i will go for mdac2 L3)

personally i plan to build speakers with a total powerhandling of 1800W/channel

The aespeaker woofers seams interesting and has a power handling of 500W/woofer (i think i will go for 2x td12m for each channel), the midranges+tweeter has a total power handling of 800w

My plan is to use a digital XO(mdac2+slave, tanks johnW for your work) and a passive second order XO between the squawker and tweeter. 4x 500W seams to be a good compromise.

2x Emotiva XPR-2 has enough power but i am not satisfied with the noisefloor http://www.audioholics.com/amplifie...amplifier/emotiva-xpr1-amplifier-measurements (emotiva XPR-2 should be slightly worse)

Most high quality amps is to expensive for me to consider buying a new one, i am looking at second hand AMPs and hopefully i will find something good. Generally it is better to be AMP limited than to be limited by your drivers since most amplifiers performs well until a certain voltage(the amount of current usually matters less unless it is very high) where the THD rises rapedly, most speaker drivers start to distort gradualy with increased voltage. Ideally your amp should not clip when the DAC it at volume 0 and the drivers should tolerate the load.

I think i will go for Hypex ucd700 for the subwoofers if/when i get them but i do not plan to use classD for any high frequency drivers

Is this for PA ?

I want performance for it own sake, but i have considered a even more powerfull 5-way system(over 2500W/channel without subwoofers) but it would be more expensive and more complicated to build. If the end result is good enough it might be taken into produktion! (depending on demand and production cost)

"DISCLAMER: the 17600W anjora system can result in hearing damage when the distanse to the listening posotion is less than 100m"

QUOTE=ChrisPa;2502038]Another recommendation for nc400 - bass, treble, anywhere[/QUOTE]
I want some measurements first.. i do not trust listening tests when it comes to amplifiers. The specs is very good for the price but i doupt i will use it for the treble, i plan to XO at 350...600 hz with a second order filter.

Generally people seams to like their AMPs even those with high THD+N or bad frequency response.

The nc400 measurements Hypex has published seem to be pretty accurate, based on what I can verify.

advertisement

Back