advertisement

Hi-Fi racks - still a thing

I have a Stands Unique rack, with 10mm glass.
Looks great and to swerve it's purpose.

However, I have the following question.
Does anyone have a similar rack, with the extra isolating glass shelf for a turntable? Does it make a difference in effectively isolating the TT?

Thanks

Does anyone have a similar rack, with the extra isolating glass shelf for a turntable? Does it make a difference in effectively isolating the TT?

Thanks
I do… and while I haven’t done A/B comparisons, I’m not convinced it’s actually “isolating” at all. Spikes couple/connect in actual physical terms, they just look like they separate/isolate but it’s a visual trick. It should sound the same, basically.

My extra shelf is currently still installed but I’ve been thinking of removing it and selling it, main reason for being slow is the shipping challenge. If anyone is interested and is going to the Wam Show in Stoke, please PM me. Price tbc but “priced to sell” as they say.

Thanks
I have the older Townshend Audio Seismic sink rack that is suspended by "air" via a inner tube that uses a bicycle pump to inflate. Not done any serious comparisons which I guess is easy as you just let the air out! However I do like the look of the rack. Infact I have two of these. One is much taller than the other to accommodate more/larger pieces of equipment. However it is to tall for my needs & I have been long thinking about shortening the stainless steel legs but this really does look one hell of a job to be precise.

After decades of cramming an LFD amp, CDP, CDR, Innuos Zen Mini/PSU, Michell PSU, EAR 834 all onto the three shelves of an old sound org thingy, ..and having my Orbe on a Target Wall mount of the same style (20mm square tube), directly above.. I finally decided to just get one pretty rack to carry the lot..including the TT.
My system is now 'finished' as far as I'm concerned, so there'll be no significant changes in future.

So, after a chat with the very helpful Dennis Greenaway of Atacama at their stand at Cranage, I decided to go for their 'show discount' and get something.
I ordered a five shelf Evoque 60-40 SE2, with the smallest shelf spacing, as none of my kit is now taller than 115 mm max, except the TT.

Sadly, when I assembled it all, it was just too imposing and I called Dennis for further advice... We decided I should return the 130 mm 'tubes' and.. after measuring twice.. more than once.. I settled on two sets of 100 mm tubes and two sets of 90 mm tubes. The spacing washer, bottom cap and spike assembly add another approx 35 mm to the final shelf spacing.
I also found that the top caps on the top shelf fouled the Orbe's SECure cover at the back, by a couple of MM, so Dennis arranged for me to get two modified top caps to fix that problem.
I received all of this, so that I'm ready to build the rack again tomorrow, and then rebuild my Orbe and plonk it on top. I've acquired some 'Tendercups' from Michell so that the Orbe's spiky feet don't damage the nice new Atacama Bamboo shelves.

There will no doubt be those who raise their hands in horror at a TT being on top of a 'kit rack', but AFAIAC a wall mount on a single breeze block wall, is just as likely to pick up vibrations, as a purpose designed rack on a concrete/asphalt carpeted floor. And any way.. the Orbe's own isolation is pretty damned good.

So.. I'll let you know...:)

Mullardman.. I've got a 3 & 4 tier Evoque. As long as you level everything up as you build it from the base all should be fine and dandy. Once assembled they are very sturdy indeed. My PT Anni is perched on top of one of them and sounds sublime. Good luck with the assembly!

Time for an initial assessment of my new Atacama Evoque 60-40 SE 2

Those familiar with it will know that there is a chart in the assembly instructions recommending placement of the 'tuning weights' on the stud which holds together the top cap, board, spacer washer, leg tube and bottom cap of each leg of this rack. I assume that the theory is that the stud will be in a certain amount of tension and will resonate, a bit like a very short, thick guitar spring, and that the weight is designed to damp such resonances. Either that or it's 'foo'. Whatever, with the new shorter leg tube and studs, and following Atacama's advice to 'follow the curve' re: placement of the weights.. I ended up with them only a few mm from the top of each stud. We'll see.

Otherwise the thing looks 'the business' to these eyes.. which.. if I'm honest, was just as much a consideration as any sonic benefit. I'm trying to finally settle my system (among other domestic stuff), as I rapidly approach my dotage.. I've had enough of 'faffing' and just want to listen to music.

The whole thing goes together easily and only needs to be hand tight. No tools required.

Building it up, as Wine Man says above, is just a levelling exercise. I tried to 'iron out' the initial levelling on the base unit, which has lockable adjustable spikes, but little adjustments were needed here and there.. these achieved by slight adjustments to the spikes under each leg. These nicely shaped brass spikes don't wobble, even if not fully home in their threaded sockets.
Since the rack is modular, it's quite easy to place a shelf, put the relevant kit on it, with leads etc., in place, then move up a level, etc.. Very helpful if like me, you have limited space around your rack.

However.. when it came to my Orbe.. I ran into issues. Certainly not Atacama's fault, or anyone else's for that matter...apart from maybe mine...

I'd sourced three 'tendercups' from Michell, to sit under the Orbe's spiked feet and protect the Bamboo Atacama shelves. They worked well, but I'd forgotten that they would raise the whole Orbe chassis so that it fouled the underneath of the flange on the motor unit. I temporarily raised the motor on a couple of coasters, but that's hardly a permanent fix. I'm talking to Michell about possible solutions and meantime I've put the glass from my redundant Target wall shelf on top of the Atacama and plonked the Orbe on that.

So.. the only music I've tried so far is via my Innuos, and even there I've made a change. I've taken my Benchmark DAC1 out of the system and I'm listening to the Innuos' built in DAC. So far it seems inoffensive, though maybe a little 'soft' sounding. Given the Benchmark's rep for detail, resolution and overall SQ etc.. and cost, which was approaching £1k back in 2006 when I got mine... i.e. pretty much the same as the whole Innuos much later.. it's maybe an unfair comparison. The internal DAC has never been used before and it did seem to open out and get a bit livelier after a couple of hours, but so far, the jury is out. There's room for the Benchmark on the new rack...

I should have the Orbe up and running soon.. which for me, will be the real test of the Atacama 'soundwise'... I'll be back...:cool:

Last edited:
Racks and floor-mounted furniture are out for my TT due to the bouncy floor. I once managed to get a CD player to skip by playing along too energetically ... so wall shelf for TT at least. The rest is on a mix of Ikea bookcases and office cabinets

Indeed.. I'm grateful in some ways that I have a 70s built house, with concrete floor overlaid with asphalt. The only downside is that the spikes sink veeeeeerrrrryy slowly into the asphalt.. I suppose that could be overcome if I could be bothered.
Back in my brief foray into audio distribution, I did a couple of shows, where suspended floors in hotel rooms created havoc with vinyl replay.

having my Orbe on a Target Wall mount

Same here for years. I also had another 5 (or 6?) Target wall shelves for my extensive Naim and other kit. After struggling to get to the back of the kit AND buying a mass t/t, out went all wall shelves. I built a 3 shelf long support fixed to one wall out of 18mm ply, housing 10 pieces of kit . My deck went onto a h/d Target tripod table with spikes into carpeted concrete.

I can now get behind all the kit (which is frequently needed). Even the 18" allowed for this is proving a wee bit narrow for these aging bones. There's no way I could've continued without adequate access to my kit. I've never seen the point in megabucks hifi furniture, which, let's face it, has more to do with aesthetics than support or isolation. Cynical, I know, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I've never seen the point in megabucks hifi furniture, which, let's face it, has more to do with aesthetics than support or isolation.

I see your point in 'not seeing the point'. I said above that aesthetics were a large consideration in my purchase of the Atacama and I'll be happy if it doesn't degrade the sound. It is a pretty much perfect solution in my room, where space/access is limited, and it looks way better than the previous arrangement.

Was it an upgrade in looks, sound or practicality?

Which boxes do you have on it?

it's an upgrade in all respects
Sonically it's a great improvement over glass, which doesn't agree with my equipment notably my streamer.
i have 5 pieces of audio equipment sitting on four levels.

Linn Klimax DS/Organik streamer on top level
Bonnec Timpano pre
Linn Linto /Linn Lingo 4 power supply
Linn Akurate C4200 amplifier

my LP12 sits on a wall shelf

my Quadraspire support SVT is in cherry bamboo and blends in quite nicely in my lounge.

it's an upgrade in all respects
Sonically it's a great improvement over glass, which doesn't agree with my equipment notably my streamer.
i have 5 pieces of audio equipment sitting on four levels.

Linn Klimax DS/Organik streamer on top level
Bonnec Timpano pre
Linn Linto /Linn Lingo 4 power supply
Linn Akurate C4200 amplifier

my LP12 sits on a wall shelf

my Quadraspire support SVT is in cherry bamboo and blends in quite nicely in my lounge.

It sounds like a great choice all round!

I have a dedicated rack from Finite Elemente bought used more than a decade ago. It really works. During that time I was a rather poor audio enthusiast and couldn't afford posh stuff. I wouldn't spend so much on a rack even if I could do so today. However, if I am in the market for a new dedicated rack I would be looking at the Solid Tech Rack of Silence. I love the looks and build quality of it but not sure if it would sound any good though.

advertisement

Back