advertisement

Hi-Fi Racks are no longer in business by the looks of it

I wanted to buy some speaker stands the other day and the website was showing a cloudflare error so just assumed thier side was down or an expired certificate etc.

Would be a shame if they have folded as they made really nice kit.

Spotted their website was down last night when I went to look at replacement legs but I hadn't seen any news of them closing. So I phoned the HiFi Racks number first - standard answerphone message, no indication of an issue. But I then called the business site they operate(d) from - a small business park near Burrough on the Hill - and the sales team there confirmed they've closed down

This is indeed sad news. I was extremely close to ordering a Podium reference on several occasions but I just couldn't justify the price, especially most recently when I needed four of them, which would have set me back over £4k for my preferred finish. I ended up purchasing Monoprice Monilith XL racks as a stop-gap a the ridiculously low price of £90 + shipping per rack. They may not be made of real wood or look anywhere near as attractive as the HiFi Racks but they are very sturdy and have become a permanent fixture in my room. If I had £4k to splurge on the real thing I wouldn't have hesitated, even though the resale value is pretty poor. I have a feeling the s/h prices may be bumped upwards now given the news.

It must have been very hard for them, manufacturing costs rising, raw materials too and serving a small market without much repeat business. Few people seem to change racks with the frequency they change components. Shame.

Cheers BB

Oh, man - I'm in the US and their racks are basically unobtanium here; no real US distribution that I know of, and shipping made them prohibitively expensive. I've seen one or two in the wild and they were absolutely beautiful. I really hoped I'd be able to have one someday. Perhaps that makes me part of the problem. Sad to see them go.

Yes this is a shame. We bought ours from Ceritech in Monmouth, ages ago, but recently ordered set of 'legs' to accommodate a CD player with a phono stage perched on top.

Unlike other respondents I found them quick and efficient.

I loved their model where you could specify precisely what size you needed.

:(

Sad news. They made me a custom turntable shelf recently and I travelled down to them to collect it in person. They seemed busy.

I'm very pleased with the shelf.

That is a real shame, I always did like the look of their racks. Glad I purchased my Podium Reference last summer. I had been considering getting something for the TV to sit on to match it. Seems that is not going to be possible now.

I loved their model where you could specify precisely what size you needed.

This for me too. I use Plinius amps and they are "a little" too long for most stands, but a discussion with the guys and I had a special couple of stages made that had the depth required for these, but a pick up on the top section that interfaced with the "standard" Podium dimensions.

Lovely people to boot. Like @Mike P , I picked up my shelves/legs from their location and enjoyed chatting with them and taking a look over the manufacturing area - a good few years ago now. Hope they're all well and it's "just" a business issue.

Al

I’ve had nothing official to say so but all evidence points to them currently ceasing trade.

I do have various new oak leg lengths in stock as well as a few turntable wall mounts etc.

I’ll post an inventory on my trade thread in case it gets anyone out of a hole.

Really sad news for the industry if true as their products were stunning. We rarely kept racks in stock as they were nearly all custom.

Have to say I always liked the look of their stuff, but I did think it was overly expensive. I got the impression they were trying to set themselves up as the hi end rack suppliers, with prices to match.

P.S. If as it seems they have gone into liquidation.. presumably there will be some sort of sale of existing stock. Be worth enquiring.

but I did think it was overly expensive.

I'm sure that was part of their downfall.

I bought a nice 4 shelf walnut ref rack from them about 15 years ago and it wasn't that expensive. When I contacted them a few years ago (pre covid) for a new shelf the price had gone up by a massive amount.

Sure that the massive wood price increase during covid would have hit them hard as well though.

When I ordered mine at my dealer’s, their website wasn’t very well designed. It turned out you couldn’t order above certain widths, even though the website allowed it. My dealer negotiated with them and they took my order (about £3k). But as mentioned, extras were disproportionately expensive.

advertisement

Back