advertisement

Heybrook HB3 originals

Seas still list the model 19TFF 1 on their site; not sure where it's available (Madisound don't have it).

pics: just paste the pic's IMG address/www spiel from its image hosting site (photobucket for eg) into a reply, say here....

Computer/camera problem-can't upload pics from my camera-very frustrating and it's bedtime now...

Sorry chaps, maybe tomorrow.

Bass sounds really fat:D

They have got (or should have) a stunningly tight, extended bass. :) As for the top-end, they are no more toppy than Linn Kans, although I know those are too much for some. When I first heard them in the hifi shop all those years ago I'd also been auditioning the cheaper Kans, and my reaction at the time was that they were like Kans with bass.

Regarding the mids, the SEAS unit is discontinued, but I bought a pair of Vifa C11WG-09 from Wilmslow Audio to try instead. These are the same size and shape, and look virtually identical. Wilmslow reckon they are very close to the original SEAS sound. They only arrived yesterday and I haven't fitted them yet, but when I do I'll post my findings.

Re the bass, I think it will tighten up once I have some suitable stands ( at the moment my JPW Sonatas are doing the job:D).

I'm really starting to enjoy them, especially on the Jazz stuff. Someone made a comment that they are power hungry-well you could have fooled me-I can't get near a quarter volume! The 72/140 is driving them beautifully.

I'm really interested to see what you think of the replacement drivers from Wilmslow; they could potentially be better than the originals...

The only issue I have is getting a good violin/string sound on classical music. It's just too edgy and a touch confused on high stuff. Although I don't have a turntable I'd be fascinated to see what vinyl would sound like through these. I guess they were designed with vinyl in mind.

Apart from a tweeter change are there other mods ie crossover or grills which would take the edge off it?

The original grills are falling to bits and don't even stick to the velcro any more, so I'm thinking of making some proper one piece ones with ply and stretch fabric to improve the somewhat dated look of them.

As soon as the camera is sorted I'll organise some pics.

remember these heybrooks were designed around tt's in the mid 80's, in particular the lp12 if Im not mistaken, so a synergy with tt's they'll defo have.. cdp's may well sound a bit racy and harsh in the treble: its the compromise you have to accept, Imo, with such particular spkrs buying nowadays for cheap.. you won't really change it Im afraid much if at all- but perhaps the silk dome tweeter idea is worth it.

that works mozza- they look mean and beefy, bass drivers minty- what are the cabs like, proper wood veneer? I'd just stick a bit of black gaffa strip on those mid holes if both are just a section each- I happily used my HB1's like so for 6 months!

you see the IMG code under each of your photos? copy all that & paste in a thread for a single pic btw.

I'm a slow learner...

Only one of the mids is damaged. Was thinking maybe a bit of black mastic might do it for the tiny tear and maybe gaffer for the bigger bit. The other option I thought of is a bit of gauze with black mastic.

The only issue I have is getting a good violin/string sound on classical music. It's just too edgy and a touch confused on high stuff. Although I don't have a turntable I'd be fascinated to see what vinyl would sound like through these. I guess they were designed with vinyl in mind.

Apart from a tweeter change are there other mods ie crossover or grills which would take the edge off it?

The original grills are falling to bits and don't even stick to the velcro any more, so I'm thinking of making some proper one piece ones with ply and stretch fabric to improve the somewhat dated look of them.

As soon as the camera is sorted I'll organise some pics.

Is that a Vifa tweeter? My old Energys (and the JPW P1s) use that and I found it anything but harsh. Perhaps the tweeter level is too high - something remedied with a resistor change in the crossover - or the crossover itself needs an overhaul (I'd replace any electrolytic caps with polypro ones, for instance).

Some find setup is crucial to their enjoyment:
http://wduk.worldomain.net/forum/showthread.php?p=61233

It may be that the original HB3 was designed to sound best with grills in place.

Playing with the crossover is a bit outside my comfort zone but would definitely give it a try. How do you set about reducing the tweeter level?

When I put my ears really close to the speakers all the high stuff sems to be coming out of the mids and I can't hear a squeak from the tweeters. Perhaps there might be a problem with the crossovers after all.

no seas 19mm apparantly. recap unneccessary if polyprops, which I bet they are. I tried a few resistor changes- no difference whatsoever to HB1s fwiw.

to be honest just go with some careful gaffa/ mastic tape or whatever, until you find a suitable foam kit thing, even then I bet you'd be hard pressed to hear any difference.

I'm really interested to see what you think of the replacement drivers from Wilmslow; they could potentially be better than the originals...

No, just get the originals refoamed.

Wiring, capacitor upgrades.

The HB3's are quite efficient (unlike the HB2),so a 140 will no trouble kicking them along.

Mozza,

my pair aren't running at all! They have been living in the barn for the last 5 years and prompted by this thread, I went to look for them only to find that a leak in the roof has pushed them beyond salvation I fear. They were a bit rough to begin with - hence their "banishment" - but now they're only good for the skip.

Only one of the mids is damaged. Was thinking maybe a bit of black mastic might do it for the tiny tear and maybe gaffer for the bigger bit. The other option I thought of is a bit of gauze with black mastic.

Mozza
I wouldn’t recommend mastic as its a bit stiff and could effect the subtle movement of the cone. it needs to be a thin neoprene foam.
http://www.speakerbits.com/categories/speakers/list-200.aspx
these do repair kits for the foam surrounds, you may find something to match
http://www.speakerbits.com/products...-repair-kits-refoam-repair-kits/list-155.aspx
this is how to do it

PS I loved the HB3s the bass driver was class.

Alan

I guess they were designed with vinyl in mind.

True. I bought mine in 1981, and I think they'd only just come out then.

The original grills are falling to bits and don't even stick to the velcro any more

My grills fell to bits years ago, and replacements cannot be had. It is not straightforward to replace them, because the drivers protrude from the front of the cabinet, and the original foam grills had machined hollowed out bits to accommodate. I make do with a similar material from Wilmslow, but it touches the drivers, so for serious listening I remove them.

I'll measure my stands tonight. They were designed for the speaker by Heybrook, so it should give you an idea of what height they were designed to be used at.

to be honest just go with some careful gaffa/ mastic tape or whatever, until you find a suitable foam kit thing, even then I bet you'd be hard pressed to hear any difference.[/QUOTE]

Hey, it's not a rusty bloody Cortina!

I'm thinking of changing the look of them slightly by making some one-piece grills from ply and cloth-should look a bit nicer.

advertisement

Back