advertisement

Hernia op recovery

There’s a fairly benign med called Tansolosin that relaxes the urinary tubes. I took it when I had kidney stones and also when I needed a level of urinary flow rate to get the optimum treatment for my prostate cancer. My humble ‘7’ flow rate went to a magnificent’14’ - I could piss for England! Just a thought….
I have to say you don’t look too well in your avatar.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...-analysis included,compared with 0.2 mg daily.

I had the covid test yesterday morning at Darenth Valley Hospital fingers crossed for the operation on Friday I have to be at Queen Mary’s Hospital at 7.00am.
How are you feelingTony?

Regards,

Martin

I had the covid test yesterday morning at Darenth Valley Hospital fingers crossed for the operation on Friday I have to be at Queen Mary’s Hospital at 7.00am.
How are you feelingTony?

Regards,

Martin

I’m ok thanks, Martin. This stage of the recovery is slower than I thought it would be. I’m not in pain as long as I don’t do much. I’ve backed right off the painkillers now, just a couple of paracetamol or ibuprofen each day if I need them. Still doing my own impression of Buster Gonad, but I think that swelling has reduced slightly.
It’ll be two weeks tomorrow since surgery, and I feel much better than I thought I ever would, glad I’ve had the op. I’ll go for another walk later today.

One word of advice: work on preventing constipation now. You REALLY don’t want to be sat on the bog most of Sunday, thinking of using a teaspoon as a lever. Keep well hydrated before, plenty of fruit and raw veg, and maybe have some mild laxative as back up (sorry lol).

Hi Tony how’s your recovery going?

I arrived at the hospital yesterday morning at 6.45am went straight to the ward and in the waiting room. About 30mins later a nurse came in to fill a form in a tick box affair, then I saw my consultant marked my stomach up and told me due to the increase in size I would have open surgery instead of keyhole.
8.20am a nurse said I’m taking you down to surgery the previous patient op was cancelled. At about 10.00am had the cannula fitted blood pressure machine strapped on and had been given oxygen. The next thing I New I was up in the recovery ward ! This was about 1.15pm when I woke up given water, tea and biscuits.
I was told that I was able to go home at 4.00pm, I took off my surgical socks off myself I remember you saying ?
I went to the toilet a couple of times feeling a bit woozy ! The nurse took me down to the main entrance where my daughter in law was waiting.
Pain wise I feel ok but trying to sleep on my back I didn’t like but was unable to sleep on my left side, the right side was where the hernia had been. Two dressings the top one can come off in 72 hours and be able to have a shower, the main one to the GP’s nurse in 5 days time I said I’d be lucky to get booked in. I’ve got say the NHS has been exemplary fantastic service.

Will heed your advice on the constipation!

Regards,

Martin

Yeh they are the bottom one is the clear tape type, totally waterproof just don't rinse it off with a direct jet from the shower.

Well, three weeks after my op, I took a one hour drive to the wonderful little Bawdsey Radar Trust museum on the Suffolk coast. Spent about 90 minutes there chatting with the volunteers, then another one hour drive to get home. All ok, been home six hours or so and no extra soreness etc.

I also emailed HR at work today to let them know that barring disaster I’ll be in Monday. We can then sort out what on Earth I’m going to do. They’re a good company for this, so I know they won’t be pushing me into anything, just as they didn’t after I got the hernia last summer.

Hi Tony,

So glad you’re on the mend, it’s a week since my operation the pain from the hernia is minimal only had paracetamol for the first couple of days. The downside the ole gonads took a beating, swollen, bruised and black and blue!
When I saw the nurse at the GP she said it’s not uncommon!

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin,

Yep, my right plum was huge, but now at three weeks since surgery it is somewhere near normal again.

My scar is looking good, less angry each day I think.

I’m still avoiding lifting etc at the moment, but I’m back to work on Monday, and I’ve no idea what they can give me to do. Thankfully the H&S guy went through this himself a few years ago, so he’ll have an appreciation.

Update.

I went to work Monday morning, and that was all I needed to realise that I’m still not ready for it. Had a chat with HR in my return to work interview, and they seemed keen for me to ask for another sick note from my Dr.
Just listening to people talking about the jobs they were about to carry out made me wince, and my nice idea about doing a desk job for a month was a no -starter, no such work going spare.
So I called my GP surgery, explained it to the receptionist, and an hour later I received the sick note on my phone! Another two weeks off, so that covers the bank holiday weekend.

I made a bed this morning, and it may have been a mistake to put the double duvet in its cover…. Oh well.

Update

It’s been fine in recovery but I noticed where the hernia was it’s raised, hard about 80mm long. Trying to take things easy but having to care for my wife is difficult. Luckily I’m spending the week with number son in Canterbury lucky no stairs has been a God send.
I’ve been doing walking so just trying to get some fitness going.

Regards,

Martin

It’s been two and a half weeks since my operation and my neighbour was due to take me to the supermarket yesterday. Unfortunately she hurt her foot and was unable to drive, in my leaflet from the hospital it stated I could drive after two weeks.
Now I only drove 5 miles there and back but the hernia part as soon as I got out of the car was aching as hell! Seems to be easing off a bit this morning I took a couple of paracetamol last night so I had a good sleep.

I think I’ll leave the driving for at least two more weeks!

Regards,

Martin

Five weeks tomorrow since my op. I’m feeling pretty good while doing normal things. Standing, sitting, getting in and out of the car, etc. Yesterday I had to visit my parents. I drove a total of 8.5 hours, and the op site was fine after. Lifted my dad’s wheelchair in and out a few times, no issues. I’ve no soreness this morning at all.

I haven’t lifted anything over about ten kilos for nearly two months now, so I’ll need to build myself up gradually. Cycling will be a big help.

advertisement

Back