advertisement

Heretical view (a bit of fun)

I couldn't be doing with 'A Love Supreme'. I liked it a lot the first time I listened to it, but never felt the urge to repeat the experience.
‘A love supreme’ is a divisive record, I bought it many years ago & hated it. About 5 years later I dug it out & loved it, however, I really have to be in the mood for its challenges.

Sex Pistols - Never mind the bollocks. how is it rated as an actual album?!

Like most other punk of its type, totally awful when removed from the time/place (even then....)

Good punk exceptions include DK, and some fringe sort of punky Damned/Stanglers etc.

‘A love supreme’ is a divisive record, I bought it many years ago & hated it. About 5 years later I dug it out & loved it, however, I really have to be in the mood for its challenges.

I gave my copy to a charity shop, so someone else could have the benefit of its challenges.

I worked out that DK = Dead Kennedys, and inferred that 'fringe sort of punky' referred to The Stranglers, who were sort of fringe because a) they were older, b) one of them had a beard, and c) they were a bit more melodic/musically inventive with that organ swirling round in the background. But The Damned? They were surely core rather than fringe punk, albeit (good word that) a bit on the comedy side, and if you want comedy punk, Jilted John's yer man, really.

I am not a punk fan but really liked a few of the X-ray Specs songs. Particularly ‘Hey bondage , up yours’ & ‘Identity’.

Hmm well I think Michael Kiwanuka is crap... I've nothing good to say about his music.... yes I've heard a fair bit.. boring. obvious, tuneless.

I can't stand The Fall. Joy Division and New Order are merely "well if there's now't else to play it will have to do" quality.

The Clash are way over rated but kinda not bad.

Hmm well I think Michael Kiwanuka is crap... I've nothing good to say about his music.... yes I've heard a fair bit.. boring. obvious, tuneless.
I can't stand The Fall. Joy Division and New Order are merely "well if there's now't else to play it will have to do" quality.

Agree about MK, disagree re the F, JD.
the clash are crap

How on earth do people get through any Joni Mitchell albums in full? I bought Blue some years ago because I kept seeing it mentioned but had to remove the CD after a couple of tracks. Almost tinnitus-inducing stuff.

I am quite a big Jazz fan but the much-lauded Art Blakey frequently seems to grab attention to himself in a way that detracts from the overall flow of the music.

I agree on The Clash

How on earth do people get through any Joni Mitchell albums in full? I bought Blue some years ago because I kept seeing it mentioned but had to remove the CD after a couple of tracks. Almost tinnitus-inducing stuff.

I am quite a big Jazz fan but the much-lauded Art Blakey frequently seems to grab attention to himself in a way that detracts from the overall flow of the music.
Well, I am trying to get Joni Mitchell, I do like ‘Blue’ but her voice is a little piquant.

You are wrong about Art Blakey in every possible way, he launched the career of many a young artist & it was his band after all;)

advertisement

Back