advertisement

Heretical view (a bit of fun)

Woodface

pfm Member
Like many I have probably had more time to think this year than usual, my mind often drifts into flights of fancy, particularly when walking or cycling.

Anyway, I digress, what are your heretical views on certain artist albums? I’ll go first, I think Michael Kiwanuka is a massive talent & believe his eponymous release from 2019 is far better than many ‘in the canon’ including ‘What’s going on’ - ‘Marvin Gaye’.

I doubt many will agree but the latter is rather flaccid offering, an excellent beginning & end but lots of filler in the middle.

Oh, & REM are 3rd greatest band of all time.

I’ll get my coat.

The Stone Roses debut received luke warm reviews on release. I do like it but think they are massively overrated. The Smiths were massively better.

‘This is my truth tell me yours’ is the best album by the Manic Street Preachers. It had rather tepid reviews on release compared to their earlier, more feted, offerings but stands up far better today.

‘This is my truth tell me yours’ is the best album by the Manic Street Preachers. It had rather tepid reviews on release compared to their earlier, more feted, offerings but stands up far better today.
This is my opinion of ‘Up’ by R.E.M.

Never quite got all the fuss surrounding Pet Sounds. Probably because I never heard the whole album when it came out, as an 11 year old it was Revolver for me, along with loads of the great singles around at the time. Only got to hear Pet Sounds in its entirety around 15 years ago, just thought a lot of it was fairly cheesy MOR. I've always loved God Only Knows, though.

Never quite got all the fuss surrounding Pet Sounds. Probably because I never heard the whole album when it came out, as an 11 year old it was Revolver for me, along with loads of the great singles around at the time. Only got to hear Pet Sounds in its entirety around 15 years ago, just thought a lot of it was fairly cheesy MOR. I've always loved God Only Knows, though.
The trouble with hearing albums years after their release, is that any originality is lost. There are those who think Oasis are better than the Beatles!

The first time I heard Pet Sounds I thought it was dreadful, I do quite like it now but I not sure it is ‘great’.

Nirvana. I don't get all the fuss. Sure, Nevermind was half a great album, the rest was filler. And I didn't find anything on the other albums that I wanted to listen to a second time. So there! ( Apologies in advance to Nirvana fans).

Nirvana. I don't get all the fuss. Sure, Nevermind was half a great album, the rest was filler. And I didn't find anything on the other albums that I wanted to listen to a second time. So there! ( Apologies in advance to Nirvana fans).
I endorse this view despite having a soft spot for the MTV unplugged record.

The trouble with hearing albums years after their release, is that any originality is lost. There are those who think Oasis are better than the Beatles!
That's what I put it down to, if I'd heard the whole thing in 1966, I'd have probably thought it was the bee's knees.

I couldn't be doing with 'A Love Supreme'. I liked it a lot the first time I listened to it, but never felt the urge to repeat the experience.

The Beatles White Album - for me a precursor of their indifferent solo careers - I can never understand why it ends up high in those best of all time lists. A great EP at best. A Hard Days Night is way better.

And don't get me started on Sgt Peppers....of it's time but not timeless. Take out A Day In the Life and it's entirely unremarkable.

Keeping things Merseyside, I'd say The Boo Radley's Giant Steps is better than either of them and should figure high up in every best of all time list.

Coat on, heading for the door.

The Beatles White Album - for me a precursor of their indifferent solo careers - I can never understand why it ends up high in those best of all time lists. A great EP at best. A Hard Days Night is way better.

And don't get me started on Sgt Peppers....of it's time but not timeless. Take out A Day In the Life and it's entirely unremarkable.

Keeping things Merseyside, I'd say The Boo Radley's Giant Steps is better than either of them and should figure high up in every best of all time list.

Coat on, heading for the door.
Oof, some true heresy.

I never really liked the Boo Radley’s.

I love SGT pepper & about 3 quarters of the White Album.

advertisement

Back