advertisement

Help with speakers

chrisnaim

pfm Member
useing a naim cd 5x,nac122x nap150 flatcap2,all bought second hand,useing headphones at momement and a set of monitor audio bx1s.Problem is I live in a top floor flat,need to be standmount.I know the speakers I am useing are not very good!any suggestions thought dynos,naim n sats.Before I moved used to use spendor5s but need a small standmount which can play at lowish vollume,second hand any ideas would be gratefull.

I would count dynaudios out. They are a difficult load and not well suited to lower powered naim gear.

n-Sats are rarely talked about from what I've seen here, but are fab speakers that go for sensible money and I'd look at if I were you.

Spent last evening listening to my mates Nait + Katans, very nice sound IMO.

Its been a long time, but Tukans can be had on a budget?

I would count dynaudios out. They are a difficult load and not well suited to lower powered naim gear.

I would not think that I have listened to a cyrus set up a freind has and it was o k at 40watts,dont forget I was useing spendors

I listen regularly to Katan's, driven by a Nait 2. I really enjoy the visit. Its years since I heard Tukans, so that may be rose tinted glasses, but they were enjoyable.

Original Kans are a Marmite speaker, ruthless and revealing, they need a solid wall behind them too.

OP what is your budget?

I'm using Elac BS244s at the mo, they are rather good at low volume, look very classy, have a ribbon tweeter to die for and are as fast as Kans! Oh, they do nice tight bass too.

useing a naim cd 5x,nac122x nap150 flatcap2,all bought second hand,useing headphones at momement and a set of monitor audio bx1s.Problem is I live in a top floor flat,need to be standmount.I know the speakers I am useing are not very good!any suggestions thought dynos,naim n sats.Before I moved used to use spendor5s but need a small standmount which can play at lowish vollume,second hand any ideas would be gratefull.

Hi Chrisnaim,

We have some Amphion IONs for sale that you are welcome to try reduced from £899 to £450. Otherwise, you could try the Neat Motive 3 (recently replaced by the new SX3), or the ProAc Tablette Anniversary if you can stretched your budget to £800 ex-demo or second-hand.

Regards,
Peter

I know they are not stand mounts but a pair of Royd Minstrels might work. They don't like being driven too hard and create a well balanced sound which won't shake the foundations. You well get a pair for less than 150 quid.

I know they are not stand mounts but a pair of Royd Minstrels might work. They don't like being driven too hard and create a well balanced sound which won't shake the foundations. You well get a pair for less than 150 quid.

There is a lovely Pair of Minstrels on Gumtree, Bristol put on a few days ago, not sure if still available £85.00

+ 1 for the REFGA R1s/ RS1s

Had them myself in my B Kit ... terrific even at low-level listening volume levels, and they are easy to drive

See the review in STEREO TIMES -- The Rega R1 Loudspeaker - A New Budget Reference

http://www.stereotimes.com/speak121305.shtml

" ...The Rega R1 becomes my new budget reference speaker. In addition of its ability to get the fundamentals of music right, it adds clarity and resolution, and an ability to lay out a vivid and coherent 3-dimensional stereo image. In small room applications, what more could you want? ... "

Go audition them yourself.

Loved my R1s, but when I swapped out my B-kit for new gear, I also migrated up to the TANNOY REVOLUTION DC-6s (but also had to get quality stands for them)

IMO try to audition these also ... their dual concentric driver array creates something very special that is difficult to articulate and must be heard in person.

I currently use them with my ARCAM SOLO NEO in my "B" system for classical, jazz and FM listening.

advertisement

Back