advertisement

help restoring a Connoisseur turntable for my daughter

Looking at the power supply schematic, both the external power supply indicator neon and on deck strobe neon are powered from the 120VAC tap on the primary side of the transformer. As such, the strobe light should illuminate immediately upon switch on of the external supply. Note the voltage divider with 33k resistors either side of the strobe neon which takes the 120VAC down to 60VAC. This could be tested for at the terminal strip within the deck without having to delve into the PS. The relevant terminals will be the two that connect the power supply umbilical to the strobe light box. An unusually low reading will likely be down to one or both of these resistors having drifted off spec. Conversely, 0V at these terminals could be down to the power supply inlet fuse having blown, or one or both resistors having failed open circuit, or a bad connection between supply and terminal strip. All easily traced with a multi-meter.

Notes:
  1. The on-board motor servo control circuit has nothing to do with the operation of the strobe. This is simple electrics, not complicated electronics.
  2. The 250mA fuse at F1 also protects the AC side, so, in addition to the strobe not lighting, if the motor won't turn it is likely that this fuse has blown within the power supply. The line drawing of the PS indicates that this fuse (and the DC side output fuse) are on the PCB within.
BTW, the reason that the feed to the neon is taken off the primary side of the transformer is that a DC current will only light the negatively charged electrode within the bulb. To get both negative and positive electrodes responding at 50Hz between them requires AC in.

connoisseur-bd103-page-09.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a decent shot of the underside of the larger walnut veneered plinth arm-less version BD103 (with an audio-technica AT-1005 II tonearm fitted). The grey insulated cable on the left is the umbilical cord that connects to the external supply. The top two terminals in the strip connect the blue and green 60V AC feed to the strobe box via yellow and brown. The colours may differ, regardless, it is easy to trace these connections back from the strobe. Setting a multi-meter to AC volts and placing a probe on each of these terminals should read circa 55 to 65VAC between them when the supply is on.

Note the novel torsion spring suspension mechanism (with one adjustable rubber foot missing).

4318290-dc6c7ed2-sugden-connoisseur-bd103-turntable-with-audio-technica-at-1005-ii-tonearm.jpg

Last edited:
thank you Craig!! very useful as I don't have the manual. I'll try to open it this evening. The belt seller has not answered me. Any marketplace you recommend for a belt?

thank you Craig!! very useful as I don't have the manual. I'll try to open it this evening. The belt seller has not answered me. Any marketplace you recommend for a belt?
You're welcome.

Malvern Hills Audio claim to have tested their aftermarket belts on actual Sugden Connoiseur decks. Might be worth a try...

BTW, the manual is available here as 12 separate .jpeg images, one per page.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
hello, coming back to the thread after some time. It took me some time to find a belt and then I was busy with other things. I have installed the belt and ran an old record. I could hear clearly the voice directly coming out of the head. I don't have a pre-amp but I I tried to plug the 2 cinches into my receiver but got no sound at all. I was expecting something so I have to check the circuits I guess. Any recommendations for a pre-amp?

hello I have bought a pre amp Behringer PP400. I wonder if I can use such a pre-amp as I've read that for moving coil cartridges special pre-amp is required.
I have an issue with the arm, it sometimes goes straight to the end of the record.
I think I should buy an AT-VM95E it costs less than a replacement stylus for the Satin.

The pre amp will be fine for high output MC.
Also good for a new AT95

A new AT95 is a good choice.

hello I have bought a pre amp Behringer PP400. I wonder if I can use such a pre-amp as I've read that for moving coil cartridges special pre-amp is required.
I have an issue with the arm, it sometimes goes straight to the end of the record.
I think I should buy an AT-VM95E it costs less than a replacement stylus for the Satin.
Arm is fine, stylus is damaged or missing from the cantilever. Get a new cartridge.

Do you have the tools to align it and set tracking force?

advertisement

Back