advertisement

Headway Brain Injury Charity - Records - Mapperley, Nottm.

and another £72 in record sales picked up today! :D
- I had a pleasant conversation with a customer who is digging the Rock & Prog that is in the shop.

for the Mapperley locals - some interesting stuff currently in stock.

IMG-1825.jpg

If that copy of Atem is in decent condition you are way undervalue IMO.

It is VG (maybe +)
definitely undervalued
The point is for stock to shift quickly, rather than sit in the shop for several months.
I thought hard about the price, I want to make it a bargain because it is a charity shop - that copy is from a friend of mine and is Gift-Aided, so the shop will get about £25 in the end -
most of all, the person who gets the bargain will definitely be back in the shop waiting for another diamond to drop in…
I have loads of records like that that I put in at a specifically bargain price - sort of thing that I would like to find myself.

Another issue is that putting a £30+ price on a record makes it very attractive to shoplifters -

The issue I have with Discogs is the bite that they take, along with Paypal on the profit
for example -
I sold a Soul 7” this week on Discogs for £22.98
Customer paid by paypal.
after Discogs & Paypal take a slice, there is £19.53 left - then I sell with postage included in the price - about £3 -
so I have £16.50 to handover to Headway charity…. edit: I usually just make it up to £20 in this case.
if possible, I want to sell in the charity shop and get more of the actual Sale price.:)
With that particular Soul 7” it was unlikely to sell quickly in the shop, especially at its true value - whereas on Discogs I could make it a bargain and take the percentage hit.

The Tangerine Dream album will make someone’s day. I like that. The charity gets a good deal, and the stock has only been in the shop for two weeks. Punter is pleased because they can enjoy it, or even flip it.

I do your point about the ‘true value’ versus ‘what a man with a brain injury thinks it is worth’ but turnover of stock is good.
I know that I already wind up some charity shop diggers by putting a reasonable price on what might have been a £1 mega bargain for the Crate-Digger - I have been subjected to verbal abuse in Headway charity shop several times - always by some 45 year plus Man with a chip on his shoulder about someone getting to something before him, and then that person asking a fair price for a record. heigh ho.

This will be going in the shop when I get around to it - only VG/VG though

Tangerine Dream - Zeit album cover
More images
Label:Ohr – OMM 2/56021, Ohr – OMM 2/56.021
Format:2 x Vinyl, LP, Album, Repress, Stereo, Gatefold
Released:Aug 1972
Genre:Electronic, Rock

picked up a load of empty sleeves to refill with musical treats today.

7” Single sales are increasing.

24 x 7” Singles = £39
2 x 12” Singles = £7
15 x L.P’s = £97
tot. £143 ace.

Picked up a few interesting donations including a Mike Oldfield promo 12” that sells for £50+ nice.

We popped into the Oxfam shop next door to Headway as The Wife collects good childrens book to give to the children that she teaches reading to (a volunteer reading charity)

I was flicking through the records and a chap was already there browsing the vinyl. I asked if he had been next door to check out the records in Headway…
The man then went into a long conversation about how much he liked the Headway records and how he had first found them at what he described was the old Headway shop that I used to stock!
By now I am slightly embarrassed / amused by the situation.
The Wife was standing close by and I knew she was tab-hanging the conversation. I could sense that she was laughing her head off.
After a few minutes I did confess that I was the person he was talking about. He was delighted at some Classical records he had got, so I confirmed that there were a lot more coming - he did say that he was in a music band, but I forgot the name almost immediately (I did tell him that I would forget)
I did recommend pfm to him, and he looked interested but I wasn’t sure what he heard.
Great to get positive feedback from a punter.
Wife did laugh her head off on the journey home.

Last edited:
maybe of interest…

Headway charity, Mapperley have a Brennan B2 500 GB jukebox/c.d. ripper etc. plus speakers in stock.
I was told that the unit is new/unused and is boxed with instructions.
I think they want £300 for it (?) but I ain’t sure.
I don’t know if that is cheap. They might take an offer?

facebook link

the item

Because I have been away, there is a large pile of empty plastic sleeves to refill with graded records for the charity.
I did six hours of this yesterday, just 7” Singles, which I haven’t finished yet.
Doing albums today. Managed 12 so far, in three hours.

Surprising how tiring it is listening to music that one doesn’t necessarily want to listen to… that said, most of it is innocuous Rock or Pop. Several Shakin’ Stevens 7”’s can be a little taxing though.

Only looks like aboot 25 sleeves left. Might be finished by Wednesday.

Finished grading this weeks records for Headway.
Only had to throw away a couple of L.P’s and about 5 7” Singles - they looked playable, but too much surface noise - I can’t sell a record that doesn’t play up to my Music vs. Surface Noise standards.
I bet we all have slightly different viewpoints.
and a scratchy Jimi Hendrix 7” can be tolerated for some associated surface noise far easier than T’Pau ‘China In Your Hands…’
The 7” of Nilsson ‘Without You’ keeps being a regular feature in these dump piles - loud clicks on that long quiet intro ruin the tune.

Also cleaned up 15 or so 7” Singles and a few L.P’s as I have used all my pre-cleaned and ready to grade piles.

Took a while to decide what to do with a 7” The Pink Floyd ‘See Emily Play’ - any better condition and it would be too expensive to go in the shop. Someone will be pleased with it.

I need to clean about a 100 L.P’s and 100 7” Singles this week so I can try and get on the front foot. Knackered today though and my head hurts from the thinking.

advertisement

Back