advertisement

Headway Brain Injury Charity - Records - Mapperley, Nottm.

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
My small curated charity vinyl/record collection has moved! Now next to Oxfam in Mapperley, Nottingham.
About 175 Albums/12” Records and a similar number of 7” Singles.

IMG-1587.jpg

I have been sorting, grading, cleaning and selling records for Headway brain injury charity for quite a few years now.
Back in 2008 I was taking a break from Oncology/Palliative Care Nursing, so turned my hand to writing for a motorcycle magazine. I had barely started when I had a life changing road/traffic accident. (T-Boned is the term think)
Four years after my accident, all I had was music/hifi to keep me sane. That is when I found pfm and Discogs.
I would frequent the local Headway charity shop, trawling for interesting records. It was easy to recognise that they were practically giving records away rather than getting a fair price for their donations. So I spoke to the manager and offered my time and experience. I have a brain injury, so it makes sense.

I clean and play everything that goes for sale. I wouldn’t feel happy asking for £9 for an album that didn’t play well. Albums and 12” Singles sell for £1 upwards. 7” Singles sell from 50p. upwards

Donate here, or come see what I am selling in Mapperley Nottingham. Loads of parking nearby.
link >

Headway Charity Shop
23a Plains Road Mapperley
Nottingham
NG3 5LG
United Kingdom

more information about Headway charity.

https://www.headway.org.uk/

Graded & priced up a pile of records ready to go to Mapperley next week.

HIGHLIGHTS
Bit of rarely seen Elvis Presley
Duke Ellington L.P. ‘55 (1954)
The Incomparable Ella - great sounding record.
Milt Jackson - Bags’ Opus (1959)
2 new, still sealed Calexico albums (gifted to me by my cousin who works in music p.r.)
James Taylor Quartet white label 12”

Note: if you see a small fish sign on the label, that means that it has beer donated by a fishie 🎵 :cool: 🎶

I popped in quite a variety of records but nothing that took my fancy, I nearly bought the test record but I have one already.

We joined the queue for the new bread shop opposite Sainsbury’s and after about 45 minutes waiting we bought a sourdough loaf and some big cookies, nice but a bit pricey.

Pete

HIGHLIGHTS
Bit of rarely seen Elvis Presley
Duke Ellington L.P. ‘55 (1954)
The Incomparable Ella - great sounding record.
Milt Jackson - Bags’ Opus (1959)
2 new, still sealed Calexico albums (gifted to me by my cousin who works in music p.r.)
James Taylor Quartet white label 12”

These records are now in the shop.

I am pleased to state that after one week, the Mapperley Shop has took about £65 in vinyl record sales. It doesn’t sound much, but that is double what I would take in an average week at the old location.
Manager is pleased. I am pleased.
I now have about 30 sleeves to fill with musical delights.

:D 🎶🎵

spent the day filling sleeves to go to the shop tomorrow.

worth noting -
cheap Elvis Presley!
Jazz Couriers with Ronnie Scott & Tubby Hayes - not mint.. but listenable.
A very clean Peter Frampton live double L.P. that my bro-in-law gave me :D
a Marty Paich reissue - nice.
an early The Tourists 7”
Atomic Rooster 7”
John Foxx 7”
and even a Kate Bush Single.

No idea what has happened re: Sales over the week. When the shop was close, I would visit most days. Now it’s just once a week. Still getting used to that.

A pleasing visit to the shop, apart from the rain.

I picked up 10 x 7” Single sales and 19 x L.P. / 12” Single sales, which added up to £70.
One weeks sales.
This is more than I expected, and over double what I would expect at the previous site.
Ace.

More realistic! This week I have picked up £41 worth of sleeves to fill.

This week there is some interesting stuff new in -
Modern Jazz Quartet
Stan Getz
Cal Tjader
A couple of rare late Disco 12” ers.
Cheap tatty Big Country & Then Jerico
An early King Crimson ‘Starless and Bible Black’. Not mint, but very playable.
A ‘still sealed’ John Carpenter 12” (Fog/Assault Precinct 13)
more Elvis Presley :cool:
Buck Clayton double
Mama Cass
The Police.

The manager looked pleased.
Also picked up a donation of 7” Singles. Mostly boring, but The Kinks and a few others will sell easy. Great condition as well, normally I would expect them sleeveless and ‘tired.’

:D

Good news.
This weeks sales = £99
That is really pleasing, and shows how the area’s differ financially and with footfall.

Sales mostly of L.P’s, but also a few 7” and 12” Singles

I forgot to note the records that have just gone into the shop. Some Jazz, no Elvis is all I can remember.

Now I have about 35 empty plastic sleeves to fill.
I have loads of 7” Singles, so I am going to put some 50p bargains in next time.

More realistic! This week I have picked up £41 worth of sleeves to fill.

This week there is some interesting stuff new in -
Modern Jazz Quartet
Stan Getz
Cal Tjader
A couple of rare late Disco 12” ers.
Cheap tatty Big Country & Then Jerico
An early King Crimson ‘Starless and Bible Black’. Not mint, but very playable.
A ‘still sealed’ John Carpenter 12” (Fog/Assault Precinct 13)
more Elvis Presley :cool:
Buck Clayton double
Mama Cass
The Police.

All these records sold last week!

Hopefully the shop is starting to get noticed as a place to find records so locals will make a point of popping in.

The shop has put up my handmade ‘We Sell Vinyl’ sign and regulars will be noticing that this isn’t a “one off” situation, and the records are being restocked.
I will be putting some of my records in that I don’t play soon as it’s nearly Christmas.

advertisement

Back