advertisement

headphone suggestions

Linnovice

pfm Member
Hi all. I'm at an age now where the hearing isn't all it was and neither is the sleeping. Because of this I've started thinking about buying myself a decent pair of headphones (so when I wake up in the middle of the night I can listen without disturbing the rest of the household!). I have a pair of Grad SR125e's which, having quite a good sound, are not the most comfortable. I find the music is more detailed through the headphones rather than as I remember it listening through the loudspeakers, as it is now. I appreciate that listening to music is subjective and my taste would not necessarily correspond with others I've not bought headphones for many years. It's all a blank canvass these days so I'm wondering what the consensus of members would consider and/or recommend 'good quality' headphones.

My tastes are eclectic but now tend toward classical, especially chamber and piano, choral, I still like to listen to Pink Floyd occasionally, some folky and quite a lot of jazz (smooth). I have a budget of £500 +/-. My system is based around vinyl and reel to reel tape with the odd session of digital (Qobus/Audirvana) through Linn amps and speakers (AV5103/AV5105/Aktiv Kabers) old (read seasoned) but still quite good. I'd prefer closed back and comfort is a must.

So, if any of you knowledgable members out there have opinions and experience of decent headphones I'd be most grateful to hear about them (excuse the pun 😀).

Sennheiser. Whatever of their range is in your budget. I have a pair (HD430) purchased in the 1980s which are still going strong, and for which, until very recently, Sennheiser were still supplying replacement pads and muffs. Excellent after-sales. 40 or so years later, I've just bought my second pair from their range, the HD650 from Gear4music's sale.

It be worth going to get your hearing checked.

I had mine checked years ago. After the check the doctor said my hearing was fine. I said. "But my wife said I couldn't hear her, that's why I had the check." His was reply was, "That's because you weren't listening."
Although that's a true story, it would be worth having your hearing checked. They'll be able to tell you the frequency range you are hearing. There's little point in paying more for headphones that can produce sound outside it.

Not a fan of closed-back headphones, though I do have a pair of Sony noise cancellers that are ideal for travel. I can't stand earbuds.

As for open-backed, I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD600s many years ago and have never felt the urge to replace them. They're a bit like Trigger's Broom, it's easy to replace anything on them.

Thank you all very much, some much needed and valid advice.

Mike Reed . . . good point. I didn't look for a headphone section, doh! Can I move this thread of do I have to start again.

There seems to be a lot of support for Sennheiser. I have a pair of HD 500A's and I confess to not being very impressed by them.

It be worth going to get your hearing checked.

I had mine checked years ago. After the check the doctor said my hearing was fine. I said. "But my wife said I couldn't hear her, that's why I had the check." His was reply was, "That's because you weren't listening."
Although that's a true story, it would be worth having your hearing checked. They'll be able to tell you the frequency range you are hearing. There's little point in paying more for headphones that can produce sound outside it.
Yes, already done that. My hearing has lost the top end slightly plus tinnitus takes it's toll. It's also down more on the left than right. I can though still hear quite near the top end for music. On various test records/CD's I can hear the top cymbals, etc and high hats quite clearly.

I was lucky enough to win a pair of HD650s in an online Hi-Fi forum competition circa 2008...

....used them every day since.

In the last few months replaced the head band, cushions and cable. Like new now...

...with my Beresford Caiman SEG and Dorado PSU enhancer they sound remarkable!

Headphones are such personal things.

Lots of love here for Sennheiser. They wouldn't be my choice, though.

I strongly recommend you find a conveniently close dealer or two and have a listen for yourself to as many makes as you can.

But if you want recommendations, if you can get away with open back, I'd suggest Hifiman Edition XS.

Having tried all sorts of alternatives, I haven't found anything better than my 20 year old Sennheiser HD600's. Take the little foam pads out the inside.

Dunno why, but I have found HD600s and HD650s sound better using a headphone tap off a regular tube or class A or B power amplifier than any dedicated stage I've tried. Might not work off your Linn amps as they're probably class D, which I don't think are happy with headphones and resistors presented to their speaker terminals.

I'm running my Grado headphone on a Little Dot 1+ headphone amp driven from one of the power out pair on the pre amp. There is no headphone socket facility on any of the Linn amps. I couldn't tap off of the power amps as there are three of them. It is an aktiv system.

As has been mentioned, the ideal is to find a dealer with multiple stocks. I have a Sevenoaks HiFi store quite near me. I'll pay them a visit.

I've looked at the DT-1770 online as suggested. They are quoted with mini xlr connection. That would need an adapter to 1/4" jack?

Hi @Linnovice - i am not sure whether it will work with your SR125’s, but I found that the Sennheiser yellow pads for the HD400/414 fitted my Grado SR80’s perfectly and are far more comfortable/less sweaty than the Grado pads.

Well, I've spent 1.5hrs this morning in Sevenoaks HiFi listening to Sennheiser 660s, Focal Elegia and Focal Celestee headphones. I came away with a pair of Focal Elegia's. They fitted my head well and sounded very good with my hearing. The price was fair I think as well at £349.00. My only criticism on getting them home is the length of the lead. It's 1.2m which for home listening is useless. Time they are plugged in and you lean back to listen the phones are very uncomfortable. I rang the store and they enquired from Focal, I was quoted well over £100 (I think he said £140!!!) for a replacement 2m cable! Now on the hunt for a longer cable if anyone can advise? I've found an old 1mm extension cable in my workshop and am using that but would prefer the proper thing.

That's a disgrace.
Personally I'd return the headphones as unfit for purpose and buy from a company who didnt attempt to rip you off.

Or spend £3 on ebay for the extension cable length of your choice.
Honestly, the "proper thing" is just a marketing ploy to extract funds from you.

Personally I'd return the headphones as unfit for purpose and buy from a company who didnt attempt to rip you off.
the length of the lead. It's 1.2m which for home listening is useless
I quite agree, and as I have Elears with 3 metre leads and Utopias with 4m (too long !!!!), I'm very surprised that Focal supply anything that uncomfortably short. As Jandl says, return them if poss., though obv. they're not faulty; simply unusable. Look on eBay for alternative leads with the correct terminations; shouldn't cost much. Surprised 7oaks aren't more accommodating. Who on Earth can cope with h/phone leads the length of standard I'Cs ? Kick up a fuss.

advertisement

Back