advertisement

headphone suggestions

I've now written to Sevenoaks and made a formal complaint. We shall have to see what their response is. I am aware that it possible that Focal consider headphones are mainly sold to people wandering around with cans on their heads. In these days of street crime at epidemic proportions I think it unlikely anyone would walk around with £350 on their heads. A prime target.
I view this as penny-pinching to a ridiculous extent. I appreciate that I could buy an extension lead but I don't feel at this level I should have to. They come double boxed with a plush plastic case (that will never be used). Perhaps they should direct their attention to the usefulness of the product, not just the bling.

Sorry, rant over.

I’m not saying Sevenoaks C S is poor. I’ve only written this afternoon so I’ll give them time to react. I think it’s more from Focal, penny pinching. I think they should offer an alternative form home use. The reviews I’ve now seen comment that cable is too short so Focal must be aware of the problem.

F.w.i.w., My (used) Utopias camew ith its stock 4m cable plus a 1.5 m Polish super-duper one. Okay, 4m versus 1.5m is hardly comparable but the Polish one is clearly superior. The prob. with h'phones and leads is the plethora of different terminations; not just a bit confusing but you can't chop 'n' change (EVEN between Elears and Utopias !!!!) :(

There are dealers asking up to £699 today for the Elegias so Sevenoaks are selling for a great price. I don’t think it’s fair to criticise the dealer for selling a product as it comes from the manufactorer. I have purchased a number of decent quality cables for my Focal Clears on eBay for around £50, they are readily available and can be ordered to suit specific requirements.

See #24. I’m not being unfair. I’m quite happy with them. It’s Focal I have the problem with. I know I’ll finish up buying a longer cable but to be offered 2m for £100+ is taking the mick.

Why not just get the £20 Meze ones I linked that most seem to think is better than the Focal cable anyway and enjoy your new headphones?

Hi all, right. Sevenoaks have come back to me with a deal on an extended Focal lead. It will cost me £80 but that's better than the original quote. I've gone with the Focal one as I know then that all should match up correctly.
I think Sevenoaks have been as helpful as they can in the circumstances so I will not level any criticism at them. So, for the next three days I'll put up with sitting like the Hunchback of Notre Dame and enjoy the music!

Hope you enjoy, I tried so many headphones and never enjoyed any of them prior to getting the Focal Clears. I am hoping to get some closed back Focals for late night use and will be trying the Eligias. Enjoy

Pretty obvious, I s'pose but the can amp is as important as the cans i.m.o., assuming quality source signal is assured. I was very tempted by some mid-priced valved ones a few years back but none had the flexibility of socketry I needed (3 x in; 1 x out + 2 x 6.35 jacks etc.)

Yes, it is I suppose pretty obvious. It’s early days I know but I’m really liking the sound of these Elegia phones. It won’t be long though before I start thinking about upgrading the headphone amp. I’ve already tried coming directly out of a Bluesound Node II and there’s no marked difference between that coming out of the pre into the Little Dot but, eventually I will start thinking it could be better 😁😁

I use a Schiit Magni 2 as bedside amp for HD600 and AKG702, all I need there. Main system has socket on the Yamaha A-S3000 amp (vinyl) and RME DAC (digital) for my Audeze LCD-X.

For a simple set-up the Magni or equivalent might be all you need.

Right now I'm using a Leak Stereo 20 with a headphone tap from a pro AV company. Best sound I have ever had from a pair of cans.

Well, I've spent 1.5hrs this morning in Sevenoaks HiFi listening to Sennheiser 660s, Focal Elegia and Focal Celestee headphones. I came away with a pair of Focal Elegia's. They fitted my head well and sounded very good with my hearing. The price was fair I think as well at £349.00. My only criticism on getting them home is the length of the lead. It's 1.2m which for home listening is useless. Time they are plugged in and you lean back to listen the phones are very uncomfortable. I rang the store and they enquired from Focal, I was quoted well over £100 (I think he said £140!!!) for a replacement 2m cable! Now on the hunt for a longer cable if anyone can advise? I've found an old 1mm extension cable in my workshop and am using that but would prefer the proper thing.
I recently had to shell out ( due to house move and furniture realignment) 95 quid for an extension lead for my Stax headphones. There is no cheap fix.

I recently had to shell out ( due to house move and furniture realignment) 95 quid for an extension lead for my Stax headphones. There is no cheap fix.
Electrostatics have their own specific cable requirements.
Focals are just ordinary dynamic headphones, any standard headphone cable extension would work, from £2 to £140 and beyond.

advertisement

Back