advertisement

Have you got your XL on a lead ?

hifinutt

hifinutt
will this strategy stop deaths in 2024 ?? I think these guys offer insurance but curious how much it costs

American bully XL dogs in England and Wales must be kept on a lead and muzzled in public now that a new law has come into effect.
Breeding, selling or abandoning them is also illegal as of New Year's Eve.
Owners who want to keep their bully XL have until midnight on 31 January to apply to do so before an outright ban comes into effect.
The curbs follow a number of attacks, but campaigners insist banning the breed is not the answer.
Environment Secretary Steve Barclay said the government had met a pledge to take "quick and decisive action" following a series of attacks, with one man dying after being attacked by an American bully XL this year.
The breed has been added to the list of dogs banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.
To get a Certificate of Exemption, allowing owners to keep their bully XLs, they need to get insurance, neuter their dog, and pay a fee of £92.40.

but the real question is @hifinutt are yours on a lead? :D

I know of two in my locality, one appears to be well loved, calm and compliant with the new law.

The other whose owner frequents our only town centre pub - allows man vs xl bulky wrestling competitions......who knows.....

anyone seen an XXL bully?

Screenshot-20231231-171730-Google.jpg

apparently ppl are breeding Bullies with great danes

Did you know that XL bullies are only banned in England and Wales and remain legal Scotland? :confused:

"BREEDERS of killer XL Bullys have moved their dogs to Scotland to dodge new laws banning them down south, we can reveal."

We may well soon see Hadrian's Wall topped up with breeze blocks to keep them out.

saw this today on FB group
still very popular !

URGENT Does anyone know of a xl pup that needs a home … two homes wanting to help

Same old story here, 99+% of the time the problem lies with the total prick on the upper end of any lead, not the one wearing the collar.

Can't fully agree with that. I take your point about owners, but the breed itself is inherently dangerous and should imo be unreservedly banned.

Your post echoes the American NRA argument that guns aren't dangerous, only the owners.

the breed itself is inherently dangerous

We had better ban dobes and rotties as well, and quite a few other of the uncommon breeds such as some mastiff breeds, such as Neopolitans.

There are, sadly, dogs of very unsound temprement in all breeds and none - some small breeds have totally foul dispositions as a matter of routine, and humans too. We should not use that to tar all with the same brush. What, 20 years back? tan cockers were afflicted with was was called the rage - inbreeding had flicked some switch in them and they had bouts of being savage, fortunately for adults, they are small, not so yound kids.

Keep well clear of Pulis and quite a few of the other large utility breeds too. How about Russian terriers?

The "problem" with XL bullies is that they are not a breed - they are rag-tag collection of bitsas bred from many and various strains and breeds. Their banning was just a sop to the masses - you cannot ban something that does not really exist. This has been through before when some half-wit volunteered to decree what was and was not a pit-bull - they are not a breed, they have no defining description as such - what was and was not decreed to be one was totally arbitary.

I can cross a rottie and Neopolitan mastiff and teach it to be extremely unpleasant and at several stones in weight it will make a serious mess of an adult male, and worse, let alone a little kid. All perfectly legal until it does the deed. In fact, why would I even cross them?

A Doberman went for my GSD many years ago; it was muzzled but bit straight through that.

Minimal harm done luckily as my arms were substantial then but it could have been nasty.

If XLs are allowed in public places there needs to be some approval scheme for muzzles.

Why one of these dogs? There are plenty of other breeds to choose from.
I'm not a dog lover although I don't wish them any harm. I personally feel a bit uneasy around these things having got close a couple of times. I just wish all the dog lovers would see both sides of the argument.

Why one of these dogs?

For pretty much the same reason as some half-wits want a Krell, or SME, or a horse, or anything else in particular.
There are countless breeds of dog that I would choose to keep and almost as many that I would not, but I am not everyone.

Strange to tell, people's likes, dislikes and such vary.

advertisement

Back