advertisement

Has the Squeezebox Touch had its day?

So assuming it did

and

export CPATH=/usr/local/include/openssl
export LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

also completed

I look at this line

Franks-Mac-mini-2:eek:penssl-3.1.4 frankcookson$ sudo /usr/bin/perl -MCPAN -e 'install Net::SSLeay

and note that ' is missing from the line end

so please try again with

Code:
sudo /usr/bin/perl -MCPAN -e 'install Net::SSLeay'

press Enter and wait for it to complete

then enter the next line

Code:
sudo /usr/bin/perl -MCPAN -e 'install IO::Socket::SSL'

press enter

If that completes, type

Code:
sudo reboot

and press enter

If the problems continue, please take it to pm, save clogging up this thread :)

ronnie

I had that 'compilation error' line on four occasions now with an unknown modifier " n" or " b" that I know I haven't typed in. I'm updating to Catalina at the mo and will have another go.
Re the thread, sure but something folk can bare in mind is much as I love the SBT it is subject to occasional bizarre behaviour out of the blue, you don't need to change anything to bring on frustration.

I had that 'compilation error' line on four occasions now with an unknown modifier " n" or " b" that I know I haven't typed in. I'm updating to Catalina at the mo and will have another go.
Re the thread, sure but something folk can bare in mind is much as I love the SBT it is subject to occasional bizarre behaviour out of the blue, you don't need to change anything to bring on frustration.
OK but it would have been nice to solve the problem ;)

With Catalina I think some folk have a problem with the install (go for either 8.3.2 or 8.4.0)

The 8.4.0 branch is a few steps ahead of 8.3.2 but M Herger has been busy with it a lot just recently. I just disable "Automatic Updates" and do a manual one every week or so.

If the OS does not want to install LMS; go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General Tab and "Enable it anyway"

ronnie

This folks is why people choose roon lol.

(to be fair I like getting my hand dirty with this stuff, but lets face it, its a PITA)
I see many, many posts about issues with Roon.
The background stuff on digital is a complete mystery to most of us. The bottom line is that this is a product that remains relevant today, 13 years after launch. Bar the occasional glitch (probably five times since 2010) mine have given unbroken pleasure for all that time. I have other streaming devices too, but sound-wise, into the same DAC, the SBT is as good as any of them.

Yes all software has issues, but when you have to get to the command line to fix, thats 99.9% of the population out. Logitech media server has always been for the geeks and will always remain so. I may have to return to it if roon goes tits up.

Well tbh the frustrations of the past couple of days set me wondering if I should make the jump to Audivanna permanent....but kept remembering I've tried Bluesound node, WiiM pro and the Eversolo A6, on each occasion have found the swap back to the SBT a pleasant sonic relief. I've got a spare Touch and SB3 in case one of them dies.

I have used a Touch since 2010, love the story of its development and the dedicated people who carried on improving LMS after Logitec pulled the plug.
Recently I have been conversing with an expert who thinks that its USB circuit is basic (the EDO app). He thinks that some modern streamers have much better USB implementation.
I would like something with a bigger screen so that I could use Material Skin but I suppose any tablet could be repurposed. Any views on this and recommendations for streamers that support LMS.
Yes, any tablet could be repurposed.
I still have one. Works fine. The only disadvantage of it is the small screen.

USB circuit is basic? What does that mean? Lots of people, even "experts" say lots of stuff about USB and audio. Doesn't mean they are correct. And they don't always agree. Dueling experts.

Does it work as expected and does it sound okay to you?
If it does, ignore "what people say" - it's just feeding audiophilia nervosa.

As far as streamers: the Sonore products and the Stack Audio link II support it. But you can just use a RPi or a NUC, also. Or any miniPC. Add a touch screen.

Elsewhere I use a Raspberry Pi4 running piCorePlayer to feed the DAC with USB, and control it with my computer, phone and tablet.
Yep, I've done that, too. Works great, and you can use a bigger screen than what's on the Touch. At least 7 inch (about twice as big) and I think there are some bigger touch screens that are compatible.
That's really the way to emulate an SBT today. Exactly the same look and functionality, with a bigger screen.

Not sure about the Touch but my three Transporters (an original Slimdevices unit plus two of the "no knob" ones) are as good as the day I got them. I rotate them in and out of my system so they stay "fresh".

Plus have spare displays and power supplies (i.e. the two main things that historically have been issues with Transporters).

Certainly they are the best bang for buck component I have ever purchased and they still do stuff that other "modern" streamers cant do such as a digital output/input loop so you can do hardware based room correction with an external device and LMS has great support for every service you could ever need.

My digital files are all 44.1/16 (dont need no stinkin' hi-rez vodoo) so no issue with supporting my topology, given they max out at 96/24.

They might not see me out (hopefully I have another 30 years before I pop my clogs) but I think they will last a good deal longer.

Peter

advertisement

Back