advertisement

Has the Squeezebox Touch had its day?

It's been obsolete for a decade.
Not sure everyone would agree with that sweeping statement.
John Darko doesn't for a start
Also see his comparison of the SBT with the WiiM devices everyone is raving about - pretty interesting IMHO.
And various comparisons between LMS and Roon (I know which I prefer).
I have two SBTs on the go plus a spare in the wardrobe if one ever dies and no plans to change. One is coax out to my Devialet D200's internal DAC and the other is RCA out to AudioEngine A5+ on the terrace.
Would like to try a Transporter but they're like gold-plated hen's teeth at the moment and (supposedly) no better SQ than the SBT - they just look super-cool.
Just my ten cents worth of course . . .

Two Touches in daily use here (and a spare tucked away in a drawer for the sad day one of them dies!). Both EDO into Dacs, though the internal dac is very good itself.
See no reason to change, and there still doesn't seem to be much 'competition' around - i.e. a great streamer with a decent sized screen controlled by a remote...

I also had a Duet back in the day, with the display on the remote (aka a mobile) but much prefer a screen on the Touch with a remote, particulalry at my desk.
Couple of Pi's running picoreplayer also, but rarely use them.

Last night I decided to switch back from Mac mini m1 running Audirvanna// benchmark dac2 to my SBT running LMS on an old 2012 mac mini( high sierra) only to find the latest LMS update has buggered everything 'Qobuz' up. The Qobuz plug-in refuses to install when you tick/ apply/ restart server, nor will the Radio Paradise one so three hours of faff last night produced sod all. I'm guessing it may be High Sierra is now too long in the tooth.
iTunes plays fine via LMS/SBT and indeed sounded better than the M1.
.......any help would be appreciated

Last night I decided to switch back from Mac mini m1 running Audirvanna// benchmark dac2 to my SBT running LMS on an old 2012 mac mini( high sierra) only to find the latest LMS update has buggered everything 'Qobuz' up. The Qobuz plug-in refuses to install when you tick/ apply/ restart server, nor will the Radio Paradise one so three hours of faff last night produced sod all. I'm guessing it may be High Sierra is now too long in the tooth.

Which version of LMS ?

ronnie

@ cooky1257

Try this:- it just worked for me ;)

Tick the Qobuz box

Click Apply

Click Restart Later

Go to the LMS Status pane in System preference

Click Stop Server

Wait a minute

Click Start Server

Go back to Settings > Advanced > Qobuz

ronnie

This is possibly a long shot but I have found (RPi installation, though) that adding some waiting time between each installation step can help.

Occasionally (and it has been happening as recently as today), when installing an updated plugin I have to wait a long time (maybe 60 seconds) between clicking on "Apply" and seeing "Restart". After clicking that and "OK" I close all LMS browser windows and it needs another 60-second wait before LMS will respond. If I am impatient somewhere I find the updated plugin does not install.

I don't know why and because it only happens occasionally I wonder if this may be something external happening, such as the plugins repository being very busy.

No joy, BBC Sounds plug-in loaded no problem but Paradise and Qobuz won't....heres a thing once you click apply the qobuz plug in disappears from the list.

I think there are loads of options nowadays.

I’ve had a Touch, a SB+, a Duet and a SB3. It may have been down to my internet, albeit I used them at two different houses. But they just weren’t as stable as the other solutions I have used to date, including a Mac Mini, ATV, Node2i, Sonos and a Wiim Mini. It meant that the rest of the family now use my streaming devices in the house without any hitches as they just work,

No joy, BBC Sounds plug-in loaded no problem but Paradise and Qobuz won't....heres a thing once you click apply the qobuz plug in disappears from the list.
I also have

Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.1 - 1676361197 @ Fri Feb 17 06:31:16 CET 2023

Check in the server log for any messages that may look similar to these

[23-11-30 12:16:37.0163] Slim::Networking::Repositories::__ANON__ (147) Failed to fetch https://github.com/LMS-Community/lms-plugin-repository/raw/master/extensions.xml: Couldn't resolve IP address for: github.com
[23-11-30 12:16:37.0172] Slim::Networking::Repositories::__ANON__ (147) Failed to fetch http://bpa-code.github.io/bpaplugins/repo-playhls-v2-beta.xml: Couldn't resolve IP address for: bpa-code.github.io
[23-11-30 12:16:37.0178] Plugins::RadioParadise::Stations::__ANON__ (70) Failed to look up new channel list: Couldn't resolve IP address for: api.radioparadise.com

The touch was years ahead of its time when it came out, even now not many streamers will play an SD card full of music. Plenty of places to add 3rd party apps still. Try attaching a dood dac to it you may be surprised.

I think it's broke !

[23-11-30 12:50:36.6835] Slim::Utils::pluginDownloader::_downloadError (266) unable to download Qobuz from https://www.herger.net/_data/Qobuz-2.16.10.zip - Connect timed out:
[23-11-30 12:50:51.6500] Slim::Utils::pluginDownloader::_downloadError (266) unable to download Qobuz from https://www.herger.net/_data/Qobuz-2.16.10.zip - Connect timed out: Bad file descriptor
[23-11-30 12:51:00.2916] main::init (377) Starting Logitech Media Server (v8.3.1, 1676361197, Fri Feb 17 06:31:16 CET 2023) perl 5.018002 - darwin-thread-multi-2level
[23-11-30 12:51:01.6441] main::init (377) Starting Logitech Media Server (v8.3.1, 1676361197, Fri Feb 17 06:31:16 CET 2023) perl 5.018002 - darwin-thread-multi-2level
[23-11-30 12:51:01.7520] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1325) Warning: [12:51:01.7517] You're using a rather old version of IO::Socket::SSL (v1.966) - please try to update to at least 2.020 for improved compatibility.
[23-11-30 12:51:02.4205] Slim::Formats::XML::gotErrorViaHTTP (343) Error: getting https://www.mysqueezebox.com/api/sounds/v1/opml
Connect timed out:
[23-11-30 12:51:02.4208] Slim::plugin::Sounds::plugin::_gotSoundsError (82) Error: Unable to cache Sounds & Effects menu from SN: Connect timed out:
[23-11-30 12:51:17.3941] Slim::Formats::XML::gotErrorViaHTTP (343) Error: getting https://www.mysqueezebox.com/api/sounds/v1/opml
Connect timed out: Bad file descriptor
[23-11-30 12:51:17.3946] Slim::plugin::Sounds::plugin::_gotSoundsError (82) Error: Unable to cache Sounds & Effects menu from SN: Connect timed out: Bad file descriptor

I think it's broke !

Not broke; "just restin!"

This is mine

Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.1 - 1676361197 @ Fri Feb 17 06:31:16 CET 2023
Hostname: ronnies-Mac-mini.local
Server IP Address: 192.168.1.138
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: macOS 10.13.6 - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: x86_64
Perl Version: 5.18.2 - darwin-thread-multi-2level
Audio::Scan: 1.05
IO::Socket::SSL: 2.083
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)
Total Players Recognized: 2

I updated this clean install when I compiled it earlier this year

I can look up how I did it if you wish and send you the destructions, it does take a long time and some patience :)

Or you can update the OS to Mojave and reinstall LMS (I would go for v8.3.2). That might work

ronnie

You can try installing v8.3.2 over the top and see if you get the same message.

ronnie

Last edited:
Updated to Mojave 10.14.6 and LMS 8.4.0, tried pauses, restart later etc and still the same problem. Pulling hair out time. Plug-ins will not load.

advertisement

Back