advertisement

Has anyone paid more than the asking price?

Yes and they put in the price on Make A Offer, a nice lowball amount which threw me a few times. Just best avoided imo.

I sent a fancy tonearm cable back to the maker for repair recently. I'd managed to pull a multi pin plug off one end and didn't fancy trying to solder it back on. Rather foolishly I didn't discuss price and just expected an invoice when the work was done and before the item was returned, so imagine my surprise when I received an email saying the cable was on its way back to me and there was no charge. Given that I'd bought the cable second hand from someone and the original maker owed me nothing, I thought he was so kind, and his service was so good, I sent him a payment to cover postage and insurance and something for his time. Does that count? It is an excellent cable by the way.

Living in Canada and in a region with a smaller audio market it is common for many sellers to not want to ship out of Ontario or Quebec. I've paid substantially more a couple times to get items that I've desperately wanted and have mostly been successful in changing sellers mind on shipping. The items tended to be mint condition and rare and not over priced initially. I've sold some of the items on after a decade or so and have gotten back what I purchased them for which is somewhat of a minor miracle. I try to break even but am no doubt in the wrong hobby for that to be a realistic goal lol!

Once I’ve decided I’m definitely buying, I ask if there’s a discount? Regardless, I’ll still buy, even if politely told no, as I’ve already made the decision.
It works half the time!…lol

advertisement

Back