advertisement

Has anyone ditched their CD Player......

I ripped all my cd's. The server is my source now. I newer Stream except the digital concert Hall right now ;-)

Agreed, but as I (and therefore pfm as a business) very much support the music industry and actually have a fair few friends who make their living that way I do need to point this out. The pitance paid to musicians is one reason I am personally very anti-streaming.

Regards the ownership of rips (or lack thereof, once the CD is gone), I'm 100% with you, and find it amazing when folk rip a collection then sell the media. Giving away the media to charity is a difficult one - as there's no financial gain, and the good intent is obvious.

Streaming is here to stay, and the problem is not streaming per se, but the fees/dues structure. Of course part of that problem comes from the fact that folk like me are spreading their listening habits across a lot more titles - most of which are only played once or twice. But, the thing is, I would not have bought all of them in the past, and as a consumer, I don't end up with '000s of pieces of media that in truth I have no ongoing interest in.

Perhaps if the structure changed to only pay out when an individual plays a track for the second time it would reward only the better output?

It's a tricky one, and hopefully the world of music will survive it in a way that encourages and supports good (great) output.

I can't imagine the record companies going after him ;-)

Not a convincing thread of argument. My cds (and dvds) are boxed in the cellar. Nowadays, the shelves in the living room are for vinyl only.

Re copyright: I am still looking for a longterm solution for my downloads (hires and cd). Printing and storing the order confirmations is not really practical.

I have not had a cd player for 9 months. All my CDs are ripped to a Naim Unitiserve. I tend to use this and Tidal plus FM radio. I do still buy CDs and technically, could play them on the US but I just rip them and put them away.

Re copyright: I am still looking for a longterm solution for my downloads (hires and cd). Printing and storing the order confirmations is not really practical.

Surely the services you've purchased from have a record that you can reference?

Ripped my cd' s nearly a year ago, but kept them in storage. I stream them and Tidal/ Spotify. Sold the CD player.
I do miss owning new music, and miss having the cd book to read whilst listening.
I have bought and downloaded some music, but would rather have bought and ripped the cd.

Mand

I sold my Naim CD5i CD play some six years ago with zero regrets, ripped all my CD's but retaining them all as they are the ultimate back up for (multiple) HD failure, should it ever occur when the back up Gods are not smiling down favourably! Music played via Mac Mini into a DAC. I'm on the cusp of moving into streaming my ripped media content though, so another world to explore.

For now I'm still buying lots of CD's as opposed to purchasing albums online, some new some used. There are some cracking charity shop finds if you have the patience to look through the racks.

I have bought and downloaded some music, but would rather have bought and ripped the cd.

Mand

Take a look at Roon. Artist and album info is given, along with lyrics and all sorts of other great options that help you explore your rips/downloads alongside Tidal (if you subscribe).

Both Roon and Tidal have free trials. Perhaps worth a go.

I'm hooked.

I sold my CD player - a Linn CD12 - at least 7 years ago, and haven't missed it for a moment. Ripped all my CDs, played them back initially through a squeezebox Touch into a variety of DACs, and then from a PC via USB. Sound quality is much better, hugely so since I moved to a Chord DAC, and am very much enjoying streaming from Qobuz (which often gives you the booklet to download too). Still buy CDs - sometimes absurdly cheap classical back catalogue, sometimes full price new releases, and sometimes downloads typically from Hyperion or Linn. Music has never been cheaper or better to listen to at home. And if streaming live concerts and gigs takes off it'll get even better. My ideal pricing model would be to pay a modest amount every time I listen, that way the artists I listen to a lot would get more of my money than the ones I don't listen to much.

what are people doing the the cds they have ripped? some seem a bit unclear, do they still have them stored away some where?

Those in standard plastic jewel cases -

taped together in half-dozen bundles, boxed in these

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=121352338735

Bagged up in bin bags with some silica gel inside, then it'll be attic or garage. They're easy to bundle like this because of the standard jewel case size. A bundle of six will always be the same size as any other six.

Anything in a cardboard digipak, special package or box set will remain on a shelf in the music room. These tend to be more variable in size, and are more troublesome to box up neatly.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm amazed that so many people prefer to have intangible music. Can't say I'm a great fan of CD, but it does entertain on occasion with a good disc.

A bit like JOE P, I'm two decades behind the digital curve, and simply cannot see any advantage in streaming for people like me who already have adequate collections of both vinyl and CDs. Besides, and much to my amazement, vinyl transcription just keeps getting better !

I'm amazed that so many people prefer to have intangible music. Can't say I'm a great fan of CD, but it does entertain on occasion with a good disc.

A bit like JOE P, I'm two decades behind the digital curve, and simply cannot see any advantage in streaming for people like me who already have adequate collections of both vinyl and CDs. Besides, and much to my amazement, vinyl transcription just keeps getting better !

Fine if your physical media are all in the room in which you want to listen. Intangible music is great for (for instance) playing the same albums in the study, music room, or any other room, without carrying the physical media between the rooms.

I can only listen to my vinyl in one room, but I can enjoy my digital music pretty much anywhere in the home.

Ditched the CDP quite a few years ago in favour of local network streaming.
Benefits for us are.

CD collection now up the loft so more space.
Easier access, play listing and searching of our music library.
Synchronisation of multiple players in a whole house system.
Sonic improvements became cheaper to achieve in what is now a 100% DIY system.

Never took to Internet streaming with spotify etc as we have an interest in specific versions / production's of CDs but do stream Internet radio for mainly speech.

Still have a Naim CD5 boxed up in the loft for sentimental reasons.

I'm amazed that so many people prefer to have intangible music.

'Intangible' is what music now is. The music, the booklet and container are created and stored as computer files. Because somebody sticks them on a usb to take them home or prints them off as CDs and booklets doesn't change that. These were really just steps for convenience or merchandising which are now unnecessary. I don't want a usb if I can have a zipped file and I certainly don't need plastic and paper crap if I can have a duplicate of the original file.

I am surprised I am the first to say here that I ditched cd and went back to vinyl via a 5 year period with an iPod. About 15 years ago I stopped buying CDs and started loading an iPod with pirated stuff that never really got listened to. I ditched that 6 years ago when I realised I was not really appreciating music any more.

I own no CDs, as I wasn't looking after them like I do vinyl. They were ending up on the car floor like tapes used to.

I ripped everything to the PC and used a Logitech Squeezebox Touch for a few years.

Got tired of it. Maintaining the server, backing up the files, ripping. Turning on my PC to listen to the stereo.

I went back to playing discs and am fine with that.

Why all this mad rush "forward" to a sterile environment?

Are you just OCD minimalist or have you got "fat and psychopathic wives" thrashing you within inches of your life?

Its far too early to ditch cd players. Do you not have a spare shelf or are you all living in bedsits?

wheres your fun? wheres your pile of vintage tuners? :)

If you just want a hard drive and streamer do it, but leave the rest of us to gently let things go when we are ready

I still have my Linn Ikemi, which I think sounds great. Also have a Sonos Connect/Beresford Caiman mk2 which sounds OK ish. Another reason I have the Ikemi
is that I don't really know what to replace it with ,a streamer, transport/dac or very good CDP.?

advertisement

Back