advertisement

Has anyone ditched their CD Player......

Robby

pfm Member
And gone totally to network based audio?

I have found over the last few months I have been using my CD Player less and less and enjoying the convenience of the Auralic Aries Mini.

Just need to invest in a decent dac and the CD Player could be on its way.......

No and when I bought a new MacBook Pro, guess what, I also bought a CD Player.

I am not an all or nothing person. Got a turntable too and a Cassette Deck (Brand New)

I still have two, but use them pretty infrequently. I have had my karik/numerik playing this morning but I'm now listening to streamed stuff via an Apple TV connected to the numerik.

I have a Linn DS in my main system, my Ikemi is tragically under used... I have only really kept it because I love the drawer mech and the overall styling, not to mention that it is a great sounding CD player... Useful if I'm having network issues too.

I'm not an all or nothing person either.

CD, streaming, vinyl, in that order.

I do listen to mainly Tidal FLAC now.
But I just love the sound of my Naim CDi. I've had it a long time and it just has a flavour of sound I enjoy so much.
Sometimes when I find a really good album I will buy it on CD.
I see no need to ditch the CD player. It will get used less and less, but you don't ditch every other wine because you find a nice new one. I enjoy a bit of variety.

I'm not an all or nothing person either.

CD, streaming, vinyl, in that order.

Me neither but it's streaming, vinyl, CD with me... CD doesn't get much of a look in but I still want it there.... However I did have a Linn CD12 back in the day, I sold that because it wasn't getting used anywhere near enough following the purchase of a DS, so I kind of ditched CD, but not entirely.

My thoughts are, if you have a good DAC for streaming, and don't wish to give up CD entirely, get a cheap DVD player or similar to use as an occasional transport and let somebody else enjoy the CD player... Unless like me, you are attached to it.

I'm quite happy to go on playing CDs in a CD player. I tend to use computer files for 'high rez' material, playing files from iplayer, and playing captures from my LPs. The last minimises wear on my ancient Shure V15 and makes it easier to listen to LP material in the kitchen! :)

One barrier to ditching might well be the availibility of cheap but accomplished 2nd hand cd players. And a huge choice of cheap and lovely 2nd hand cds.

Remember: vinyl took a long time to get ditched and it's still not dead, for similar reasons.

A lot of people and girls and boys still like the simplicity of bunging a cd in a player and playing some tunes - simples as!

Still regularly using my Naim CD5x, also enjoying buying well recorded music on CD for very little money.

I haven't used a CD play for five years or more. I still buy (second hand) CDs, but rip them straight to my NAS. My only source component is my Linn streamer which plays tracks from the NAS and radio from the Internet.

Had a dabble with Spotify but yet to try Tidal or Qobuz.

Jim.

My main source of music is Roon/Tidal but I still use my CD player. Can't be bothered to rip all those CDs I have. It's also a different but equally enjoyable sound.I also play vinyl from time to time. I like to have the options.

Don't have a specific 'CD player' anymore, although OH does.

Music room has a Pioneer DVD player which does mp3, CD, DVD-A and SACD.

There's a Blu-Ray player in the study which will also play CD. Various other DVD and BR machines, and PCs, which will play CDs, but at the moment the majority of listening is to the ripped CDs and HiRes via one of two Squeezebox Touches, or via iPeng on an iPod Touch.

Currently boxing up the CDs (reached artists filed under 'O' thus far) in order to rid myself of the 2metre-tall racks in the Music Room (I thought black ash contiboard from B&Q was a good idea at one point, but not now....)

I went from a big record collection to purely digital. No CD player ever. I don't stream though - just play files from a digital player.

It's good to be free of discs - no shelves, no cataloguing issues etc.

Charlie

I listen mostly to FLAC files via USB asynchronous.
I also stream Tidal HiFi using the optical out of a Chromecast Audio...

...And the last thing I bought was a Cambridge CXC CD transport as I still love the ritual of listening to a CD. :)

Lots of mixed experiences and views.

I do enjoy playing the odd CD through my Apollo R and love it's sound - the Auralic is just so much more convenient and with the number of CDs I own easier to find the music I want to listen to.

I keep my options open and listen to all formats cd, stream and vinyl in that order. CDs through my Cyrus signature still sounds the best IMO in my system but a poor recording sounds poor no mater what format you use !

I'm a good 20 years behind new developments so I have a few more to go before embracing streaming.

Joe

advertisement

Back