advertisement

Hardest Place in Britain

Glasgow’s reputation largely rests on the infamous razor gangs of the 1920’s and 30’s- consolidated in the No Mean City novel. In reality it is no more or less violent than any other large town and city in the U.K., especially those with an industrial heritage where life was bloody hard, and bred hard people shaped by poverty and adversity. I feel no more at risk in Glasgow than I do in London, Leeds or Hastings.

Eastbourne belies its genteel retiree image by being quite an aggressive place, at least it did when I had a spell there in the 90’s. The nastiest place I’ve ever known is Croydon. I worked there for a few years in the late 90’s. I wish I had a tenner for every ruck I witnessed on staff nights out, especially the town centre and around East Croydon station.
Croydon is my least favourite area in London (technically Surrey I know), it has an uneasy feeling about it. We worked there earlier this year, outside The Whitgift Shopping Centre. Lots of Eastern Europeans congregated around there and people either very high or very drunk wandering around mid morning.

Cheers BB

My parents moved from Whitby to Prestatyn when my Dad retired. Prestatyn was okay but I wasn’t prepared for Rhyl, I wouldn’t go for a night out there. It was a drug dealers paradise.

Cheers BB
I used to work with a woman from Rhyl. She had had some dealings with the police for violence (just the two officers hospitalised, perfectly understandable, after all they were dragging her 18 year old daughter away in handcuffs) and had "anger management issues" so went to a boxing club to work them out. On one occasion she was sparring with some young lad who fancied himself, and he didn't pull one of his punches. When she complained he laughed at her. "That's out of order" I said. "What did you do?" "Well, I wasn't f***ing having him take the p*ss out of me, so I battered him." Right. That will do it. If there's a time and a place, that's it. I bet the lad in question doesn't tell that story to his mates.

Croydon is my least favourite area in London (technically Surrey I know), it has an uneasy feeling about it. We worked there earlier this year, outside The Whitgift Shopping Centre. Lots of Eastern Europeans congregated around there and people either very high or very drunk wandering around mid morning.

Cheers BB
Just lots of hair gelled, white shirted (short sleeved) piss heads in my day. I wasn’t fond of getting the train home from East Croydon station whenever Palace were playing Brighton.

Because a) the alternative was worse and b) his stance on Gaza was to call Israel out for war crimes and genocide as opposed to the other candidates who stated what Israel was (and still are) doing is justifiable.

P.S. Galloway :D
It would have been better just not to have voted at all. Galloway (thanks for spotting typo) will have no effect on Gaza at all. So it was a wasted vote.
I was born in Birch Hill Hospital in 1968. We lived up Rooley Moor Road until I was 14, we moved to Whitby then, it was like chalk and cheese. We regulalry played at the back of Turner's and sometimes within their boundaries, we didn't know any better. My next door neighbour worked at the site, in admin fortunately. Cyril Smith lived in a Terrace House on the same street as our Doctor's Surgery.

Cheers BB
This is nearly 50 years ago so it's testing my memory.

Cyril was a massive man, the first time I met him my eyes were drawn to his waistcoat which he always wore. There was more material in that waistcoat than what there was in my suit. He did give me the name of a good tailor somewhere in Manchester. In those days I bought suit cloth from a mill and then got a tailor to spin up the suit.

Yes he did live in a terraced house, it was in Emma Street which was just off Spotland Road. He did struggle to get his body through the front door and I was told that he had a large wc to sit on.

It's definitely a small world.

The lower levels of the East Wing of Marchbanks Towers can be something of a no-go area on occasion. Particularly when there is a trail of empty Guinness bottles leading down to Cook’s quarters after the 3.40 at Wincanton didn’t exactly go to plan.

Last edited:
My parents moved from Whitby to Prestatyn when my Dad retired. Prestatyn was okay but I wasn’t prepared for Rhyl, I wouldn’t go for a night out there. It was a drug dealers paradise.

Cheers BB
Stayed in prestatyn recently ,right opposite that pontins holiday camp !! Lovely beach but those chalets are pretty dire ..not surprised it closed

Can you say a bit more about this ambush of an ambulance crew? It sounds like the sort of thing people say happens in "no go areas" -- areas where it's not safe for police or ambulance or fire crews to go. It's never been clear to me whether these no go areas are real or whether they're a myth.
Certainly, this was Ordsall in Salford during the Ordsall riots in the early 1990s. I would certainly say there were dangers. Was it ever a “no go area“? Absolutely not. If you were daft enough to walk or cycle alone then to be blunt you were simply a bit naive. Doing so came with risks. Were they risks relating to the whole area? Again, absolutely not. Certain streets, certain corners or tower blocks and only at certain times. Information was shared and provided you listened then you were fine. Look fearful and you’d be targeted. Move with confidence and you’d be fine.

Afraid I took a certain joy in a colleague having their passenger side window smashed in at the lights and losing a work laptop they’d left on the passenger seat. They were from Chorlton. They could afford the £1,500. Enough said. Respect a place; understand what people are up against and it will respect you.

I was so chilled that I cycled to work down Regent Road to Salford 3 and didn’t notice Carpet World had burnt to the ground overnight. I did say that I’d wondered what the smell was. Some colleagues were horrified. The more streetwise were amused. If you work in an inner city then you’re either horrified and look down on it or you get street wise quickly and learnt what there is to love.

I was taught by a community worker to cycle to work a different route each day as the local kids would learn your route and timings and brick you from 12 floors up. Mutual respect established when i provoked them by going past them deliberately and whacking the bricks away with a metal bin lid.

It was also fun playing football at Albert Park and thinking the noise was just the thunder storm we were playing in only to realise people were shooting at us.

Cheers BB
They don't call it The Cronx for nothing!

TBH I'm not sure there's any one area in London that I feel especially unsafe in. I've seen a bus empty in 30 seconds because someone has been stabbed on the top deck and I've had to call an ambulance because someone has been stabbed and is bleeding out in the entrance to a kebab shop (the thing that really shocked me was the people casually stepping over him to get in and out of the shop). Sadly most knife crime is children attacking other children.

I did have a group of lads try to pull me off my scooter in the early hours riding through Deptford which was a bit disconcerting. I accelerated towards the one in front of me and thankfully they bottled it.

I imagine we've all been tempted to do that at one time or another...
To be fair it’s great anecdote. He took umbrage at being asked to return a gift from a young asylum seeker which he accepted in the middle of a case. Clearly unacceptable as it instantly looks like a bribe. Rather unfortunate as they’d knitted it. His wife suspected he’d slept with her and one of the other volunteers eventually grassed him up. He threw one brick at the office window and the note went awol when the brick bounced off. Came back later and fired one into a waiting room full of punters. Rang up angrily to confirm that he’d resigned but we were too busy pissing ourselves at his anger when we pointed out that the note was awol off brick two. Third one delivered on all fronts although it must have surely got back to him that one of the volunteers took the bricks home to her husband.

I did have a group of lads try to pull me off my scooter in the early hours riding through Deptford which was a bit disconcerting. I accelerated towards the one in front of me and thankfully they bottled it.
So, not really hard then. In Salford this was a deliberate thing for a few months. A whole spate of cyclists deliberately knocked under vehicles and several people hospitalised. Happened to a colleague on a Brompton. They were to that point a long haired quietly spoken hippy who did morris dancing and built medieval musical instruments. They resigned but were persuaded to not do so. Came back to work with a number 1 haircut and literally wearing combat gear. Also went “commando”, which mightily impressed our admin team :)

Will have to ask my dad about Cheetham Hill, he worked the other side of what was Red Bank Sidings in Collyhurst Road for over 40 years so will has a good knowledge of the area. He talks about how rough Angel Meadow had been in the earlier times, and I suspect some of that reputation was still current. If fact the factory is next Barney's Steps, also known as Lowry Steps due this famous painting.

Not seen any mention of coal mining towns yet, where pit moggies would fight men from other pits especially in places like Mansfield. There would have been 7 or 8 pits in the area and Friday night was fight night in Mansfield.
On the council estate that I grew up in you had to know which street was safe to walk down on the way back from school.
I remember walking to the next town and being questioned by youths as to where I was from, once they knew I wasn’t from their town I was chased for at least half a mile by teenagers with Stanley knives - my age- their age, about 13 in 1978

Last edited:
There are plenty of places where the Police walk round in 3s, or these days don't walk anywhere. Finnegan mentioned Gipton and Seacroft in Leeds, both areas I have driven through and swiftly drove out of. In these areas the fire brigade never park closer than 50 feet to the flats when they have a callout becuse there have been a number of incidences of fridges being tossed off roofs after a 999 call. The same goes for the other emergency services, they park nearby, walk in and check the sky before they step up to the door.
I can understand why there may be a reaction like that against the police by, for example, people selling drugs. But why attack ambulance and fire services personnel?

One other thing, and I hope you won't take it offensively. Can you provide some evidence for this? Evidence about fridges being used as missiles against ambulance staff in Gipton or Seacroft several times, for example. The reason I ask is not to cast doubt on what you say. It's just that when I've heard these sort of claims before they have never been substantiated.

I can understand why there may be a reaction like that against the police by, for example, people selling drugs. But why attack ambulance and fire services personnel?

One other thing, and I hope you won't take it offensively. Can you provide some evidence for this? Evidence about fridges being used as missiles against ambulance staff in Gipton or Seacroft several times, for example. The reason I ask is not to cast doubt on what you say. It's just that when I've heard these sort of claims before they have never been substantiated.
No references, but it's a safety instruction in the city. My friend was at a fire safety conference there and someone mentioned it. My friend, the eternal sceptic and not one to mince his words, said "fxxx off! That doesn't happen!" The Leeds fireman replied , deadpan, "bloody well does, these flats and the other in Gipton, all the time. Bastards". So maybe it's a story, make of it what you will, but my mate wasn't a man to be making stuff up.

advertisement

Back