advertisement

Hardest Place in Britain

Good post. Interesting about Moss Side as the reality was that for all the reputational stuff I used to cycle/walk through there regularly and it was never a no go area. Main thing was that you learned to never make eye contact with anyone stood still in front of you no matter how far away they were. Get that right and you were fine.
I agree. I didn't feel it because it was home, even when I returned years later. Having said that, I wouldn't have hung around in some of the estates either.

As a foreigner living in the UK, it never ceases to amaze me that every time I ask about a place to a Brit he always says proudly "Oh, it rough out there".
This is not surprising when you bear in mind that the UK still, by and large, attaches kudos to people who can drink vast amounts of alcohol without collapsing and who can hold their own in a fist fight. It's a stupid barometer and one that most other countries have left behind.

Sounds like my place. The magpies are so hard around me that the group (a murder, or is that only crows as opposed to all corvids?) of jays has been evicted. Mind you, they were noisier than the magpies, it was like an avian Jeremy Kyle with them squabbling over whose branch it was at all hours of the day from about 4am.
"GET OFF MY BRANCH!"
"IT'S NOT YOUR BRANCH!"
"GET OFF MY F***ING BRANCH"
"IT'S NOT YOUR F***ING BRANCH!"
"BASTARD!"
"BASTARD TWICE!"
"YOU SHAGGED MY SISTER!"
"YOU SHAGGED YOUR SISTER!"
Cue bouncers, ad break, credits roll.
Reminds me of time spent in the interior of Borneo many yrs ago - being cooked out of bed at 6am sunrise (every.day.of.the.year), to find cockroaches the size of decent crabs greet you cordially by name while doing lines of Borax off the top of your prized, if partial possession - the fridge.

Let's just say that watching MiB when it came out, c.1996 in an open cinema where all sorts of ..things were..scampering around feet & over the lap - made for an immersive experience.

Reminds me of time spent in the interior of Borneo many yrs ago - being cooked out of bed at 6am sunrise (every.day.of.the.year), to find cockroaches the size of decent crabs greet you cordially by name while doing lines of Borax off the top of your prized, if partial possession - the fridge.

Let's just say that watching MiB when it came out, c.1996 in an open cinema where all sorts of ..things were..scampering around feet & over the lap - made for an immersive experience.
I watched Mississippi Burning in 1989 in the cinema in Frome in the middle of a heatwave. It *felt* like the South.

*violent shudder*

From the BBC app

It really is a thing, although I’ve not heard of it so much recently, possibly due to greater potential punishments.
My wife and I's first place together was in Hyde Park flats in Sheffield when we were 19.

It had a bad reputation but was fine for us. We were talking about it last week after going to see "Standing At The Sky's Edge" in the West End. It's about Park Hill flats, the "posh" ones that they didn't demolish and that weren't at the sky's edge.

We both most remembered things being thrown from the balconies at any council work teams that came to work on the communal flower beds. Not just bricks but TVs and fridges.

I can vaguely understand the attraction of scaring people but this was attempted manslaughter of people working to improve the environment. Still completely mystifies me.

^ I can understand stealing. I can understand gangs fighting each other. It is the mindless violence that sets the UK apart.
My brother was walking with a girlfriend in London many years ago and turned after hearing a shout behind him. Got a bicycle chain across the face and could have lost his eyesight. The complete stranger came to the hospital the next day to apologise. Crazy.

Kilwinning near Ayr in Scotland. As a visitor you’re probably safe, but the violence residents mete out to each other was eye watering. More fighting than even squaddy towns.

That’s a coincidence. I saw MiB in the Turnpike Lane Coronet which was also notorious for being full of things that scurried around your feet.

I agree. I didn't feel it because it was home, even when I returned years later. Having said that, I wouldn't have hung around in some of the estates either.
I used to know a black scouser who told me he’d never had any hassle in Toxteth, but if he went a few miles out to some of the satellite estates it was a completely different matter. I lived for a couple of years in Chapel Allerton, a mile or so up the road from Leeds notorious Chapeltown area- onetime scene of riots, red light district, and former haunt of the Yorkshire Ripper. I walked through Chapeltown at all hours of day and night completely unmolested. The only time I got hassle was driving through Chapeltown once and getting chased by a gang of black lads, who probably thought we were police. However, the predominantly white estates like Seacroft etc, it did pay to keep your wits about you.

I used to know a black scouser who told me he’d never had any hassle in Toxteth, but if he went a few miles out to some of the satellite estates it was a completely different matter. I lived for a couple of years in Chapel Allerton, a mile or so up the road from Leeds notorious Chapeltown area- onetime scene of riots, red light district, and former haunt of the Yorkshire Ripper. I walked through Chapeltown at all hours of day and night completely unmolested. The only time I got hassle was driving through Chapeltown once and getting chased by a gang of black lads, who probably thought we were police. However, the predominantly white estates like Seacroft etc, it did pay to keep your wits about you.
My lad is mixed race. We live in South Liverpool, (Aigburth now, Toxteth before) which is very multi-cultural, and a great place to live, but even though he is a big lad and a trained fighter, he would not want to spend any time at all in satellite towns like Skelmersdale, Huyton, Bootle, Kirkby, Netherley, Croxteth, Norris Green, and so on. Those areas are generally deprived and plagued by anti-social behaviour. As always, lots of great people, but a lot of problems through drug dealing and associated gang tensions from a working-class, white community that has been neglected for a long time.

Last edited:
. I lived for a couple of years in Chapel Allerton, a mile or so up the road from Leeds notorious Chapeltown area- onetime scene of riots, red light district, and former haunt of the Yorkshire Ripper. I walked through Chapeltown at all hours of day and night completely unmolested. The only time I got hassle was driving through Chapeltown once and getting chased by a gang of black lads, who probably thought we were police.
Lucky you. I've had aggro in Chapeltown back in the day from a kid of about 13 because I was the only white face walking down Chapeltown Rd after dark that night.
However, the predominantly white estates like Seacroft etc, it did pay to keep your wits about you.
Indeed it does. Same goes in Armley, where I used to live, and (ugh) Bramley. I once filled a prescription in Bramley, I wasn't entitled to free ones but I wasn't working at the time following my injuries so I didn't feel bad about the fact that they didn't charge me. After I'd left I wondered why. I worked it out - because *no bugger does* there so they didn't ask.

Lucky you. I've had aggro in Chapeltown back in the day from a kid of about 13 because I was the only white face walking down Chapeltown Rd after dark that night.
I did steer well clear of the Hayfield. I remember it got raided by the Manchester drug squad, compared to whom the local Chapeltown gangsters were like a Women’s Institute whist drive.

After the Hayfield closed down, they relocated to The Shoulder Of Mutton up the road in Chapel Allerton, spoiling what had been a really great pub.

I did steer well clear of the Hayfield. I remember it got raided by the Manchester drug squad, compared to whom the local Chapeltown gangsters were like a Women’s Institute whist drive.

After the Hayfield closed down, they relocated to The Shoulder Of Mutton up the road in Chapel Allerton, spoiling what had been a really great pub.
The Moulder of Shutton was a decent pub, I went in there now and again when I lived in Meanwood, I lived near the Farm Hills at the end of Potternewton Lane. A nice spot for a 20-something, buses into town down Meanwood Road and into Headingley to party with the studeys if I wanted to.

advertisement

Back