advertisement

Harbeth C7ES3, Neumann KH310A, Revel F206

In the end I went for the ones which I think that were recommended the least and were not so popular :) I got the Neumanns and I am really happy with them.
You preferred a well designed and manufactured active 3 way with an 8" woofer to smaller passive 2 ways with 6.5" midwoofers. If you lack an attachment to a brand it looks like a reasonable choice. Now had you also listened to your larger passive 3 way perhaps things would have been different? Whatever, it is interesting to see what people end up buying and their reasoning for it. Thanks.

I tried the Revel F206; yes it's a decent speaker and it's very revealing for the cost, but I would never be satisfied with them after Harbeths and Quads when it comes to tonal naturalism. Not that it's not better than most modern speakers for the price in that respect, but I wasn't totally convinced and I felt the bass was slightly pushing to make the speaker sound bigger than it looks. I've heard from those who have compared them that the smaller F205 is a better speaker, if more compromised in extension. Of course the comparison will be room dependent.
have you had the Revel in your system for a couple of days? imo, its the only way to know a speaker.

I have harbeth p3esr and jbl lsr32 which is coming from harman/revel group and share im sure lots of similarities with the revel.

yes the jbl are not as tonality convincing, but on many other aspects like imaging, bass the jbls are much better.

have you had the Revel in your system for a couple of days? imo, its the only way to know a speaker.

I have harbeth p3esr and jbl lsr32 which is coming from harman/revel group and share im sure lots of similarities with the revel.

yes the jbl are not as tonality convincing, but on many other aspects like imaging, bass the jbls are much better.

Yes, I had the 206; I think it was for a week. As I said, I've since heard that the 205 have a better balance. I found the 206 were trying to hard to do that small monitor with bigger bass than expected trick. Generally speaking I could find enough to respect, but not so much to love. I didn't find them comparable to BBC legacy speakers for tonal naturalism, but they are certainly not bad in this respect either.

ive had amphion one18, jbl lsr32 along harbeth p3esr and atc scm7. tbh as my room is well treated, I have not seen much improvement in SQ with the controlled directivity speaker compared to the ATC and P3s. What is your experience with ATC speakers or other controlled directivity speaker?

I don't have any direct experience in my own apartment, but the JBL or Amphion aren't very directive either.

Directiveness in the bass is really where it's at IMO because that's where the hardest to treat room issues are and to get to that you need dipoles or similar solutions. Examples are Linkwitz Orion, Gradient Revolution or Magnepans. Gradient also make dipole subwoofers for old Quads which should work great.

They usually have the issue of needing more than normal distance to the back wall, but the Revolution allows it's bass unit to be turned which can make room placement easier. It's quite clever really.

Myself I use regular boxes with their omidirectional bass.

advertisement

Back