advertisement

Harbeth C7ES3, Neumann KH310A, Revel F206

igor_xxxx

pfm Member
Hi guys,

I need your advice regarding the following speakers.My attempts to find a good deal for active ATCs fell short, and I gave up on the idea, it's too much costs to buy them or import them here.Also I had some unplanned expenses which are more important at the moment.

Due to availibilty and good deals, I would like to choose one from the following, either the Harbeth or the Neumann.

I've heard the Harbeths and Neumanns, in different times, places, and I really liked them.The problem is that I cant audition them at home.The Revels I have not heard to be honest, they are just also available for good price, but not as nice as the other 2 prices.

Already I have sold the B&W 705 that I had, so now I am left with the Mytek 192 DSD Dac and the Roksan Caspian M2 amp.The small issue that I have is due to almost non existent 2nd hand market it would be nearly impossible to sell the Roksan, even at great loss.For this reason I am thinking that maybe I would be also satisfied with the Harbeths, but if the Neumanns are a big leap forward then I can live with it.Price wise, they are exactly the same.

I really would like to get the "system" that will excel with Jazz and Classical music, but with the least changes possible.

I know you cant decide for me, nor do I expect this, just maybe few different opinions and advices.... some fresh perspective.

Thanks,
Igor

Hi Igor, it might help if you give your location, stops people making unfeasable recommendations (maybe ;) )

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

I am in Macedonia, Balkan Peninsula in Europe... The other options that I have are B&W,Monitor Audio, Sonus Faber, JBL, PSB, Genelec, Canton, Gauder Akustik... Give or take these are all the brands available here, so as you can see I am a bit limited in my choices.

id scrap the kh310a from that list. Ive heard them and while they have good bass, the mids were good but not in the harbeth realm. the amphion one18 is much better for much less dough.
Id try to find ATC sl20a, harbeth, amphion one18, revel f206 in the same room and compare.

Hello.
With your music taste, I would buy a Harbeth, more natural sounding isn't possible in my opinion. I prefer the HL Compact 7 but that speaker isn't available, but the Compact 7 ES3 is a good alternativ.

Where do you live?

I have a pair of ATC SCM 20s (passive) standmounts with a really well matched amp that I might consider selling. PM me if you interested.

I know the Harbeths intimately, the Revels a bit, but not the Neumanns. I think the Revels are pretty good but still not really close to Harbethian naturalism, although they do work very well in small rooms, and Alan B on the Wam loved his after having issues with C7ES3 (but then found bliss with P3ESR). The Neumanns seem to be exceptional value for a 3 way active monitor, but I would imagine they would excel in areas you don't necessarily require, particularly for jazz. But perhaps the full range and neutrality you tend to get with actives would reap some benefits with large scale orchestral works.

What size is your room? Just to be sure you're going for the right Harbeth.

I know the Harbeths intimately, the Revels a bit, but not the Neumanns. I think the Revels are pretty good but still not really close to Harbethian naturalism, although they do work very well in small rooms, and Alan B on the Wam loved his after having issues with C7ES3 (but then found bliss with P3ESR). The Neumanns seem to be exceptional value for a 3 way active monitor, but I would imagine they would excel in areas you don't necessarily require, particularly for jazz. But perhaps the full range and neutrality you tend to get with actives would reap some benefits with large scale orchestral works.

What size is your room? Just to be sure you're going for the right Harbeth.

Thanks for the detailed answer, it looks like the midrange on Harbeth is hard to match, especially from the above mentioned choices.Somehow I was under the impression that the 3way active Neumann will be especialy good in the midrange.

One question, what do you mean by that they would excel in areas that I dont need, just to have better understanding? Large part of my music collection are symphonic pieces and one thing that I absolutely hated with the B&W 705s was the limited dynamics.

My room size is around 30-35 m2 (sorry guys for the metric), or roughly 4m by 6m with the addition of the dinning area.Speakers are on the short wall.

one thing for sure, I have the harbeth p3esr, amphion one18 and just received a atc scm7 v3, the p3esr are definitely the more constrained dynamically.

The harbeth midrange is incredible, but at the same time not sure how truly honest. The P3esr smooth over transients and details, making them very smooth but maybe overly polite, lacking excitement and punch. Im a bit torn right now actually. The P3esr are a incredible speaker with natural tone for sure but may not suit anyone and are pretty dependant of the user music preference.
if you listen to symphonies or dense electronica, I m not sure how youd like the P3esr. if you really enjoy smooth jazz trios or girl-guitar music ect, I have not heard anything better basically, but they will sound constrained on demanding material. The P3's are very beautiful and seductive sounding, I find them MAYBE illogically unmusical in the sense that I listen ALMOST more to the presentation of the speakers then the music itself.

I feel the bigger model like SHL5+ or C7 likely would be much better in the dynamic area but I have not lived with them to be able to say.

I would not discount the Revel F206 - for the music taste you mention and the room size given.

Audition if possible..

If not - there are reviews available on the internet as well..

good luck !

regards

one thing for sure, I have the harbeth p3esr, amphion one18 and just received a atc scm7 v3, the p3esr are definitely the more constrained dynamically.

The harbeth midrange is incredible, but at the same time not sure how truly honest. The P3esr smooth over transients and details, making them very smooth but maybe overly polite, lacking excitement and punch. Im a bit torn right now actually. The P3esr are a incredible speaker with natural tone for sure but may not suit anyone and are pretty dependant of the user music preference.
if you listen to symphonies or dense electronica, I m not sure how youd like the P3esr. if you really enjoy smooth jazz trios or girl-guitar music ect, I have not heard anything better basically, but they will sound constrained on demanding material. The P3's are very beautiful and seductive sounding, I find them MAYBE illogically unmusical in the sense that I listen ALMOST more to the presentation of the speakers then the music itself.

I feel the bigger model like SHL5+ or C7 likely would be much better in the dynamic area but I have not lived with them to be able to say.

Thanks for sharing your experience... Regarding the P3ESR as good as they may be, I think they will be not suitable for me at all, mostly because of the missing dynamics, even though that I have not heard them.

I am bit worried from your remark about great midrange but maybe colored, in which way do you mean this? Or maybe this is regarding the P3ESR with their limited dynamics and small box? The highest praises that I've seen about Harbeth are about their natural balanced midrange.

Not that I doubt your experience, just trying to have a better understanding.

I almost never listen to smooth jazz and girl-guitar music, I am into Coltrane,Mingus and etc. with a daily dose of few symphonies, operas and sometimes I really like to listen louder (at least for me >85db, roughly)

Somebody also mention Amphions, I have never heard them, they are available here but only by order, and I don't want to risk it.At least the other options I have heard at some period.

I will try to get one more audition tomorrow with the Neumann (Harbeth not possible at the moment) and see what will float my boat, it will be either the Harbeth or the Neumann, I have to decide by the end of this week.Maybe I want to like the Harbeth better because I will keep everything the same in my system, but we will see.

Some other advises :) ?

I would not discount the Revel F206 - for the music taste you mention and the room size given.

Audition if possible..

If not - there are reviews available on the internet as well..

good luck !

regards

Unfortunately it's not possible to audition them, I have heard them few months ago, but that memory is lost.

Just they were also available as a nice deal, but somehow I think I would like to go with the other 2 options... don't ask me why :) ?

Asking a question like this inevitably results in a lot of conflicting advice, which is not going to be useful. The sensible thing to do is to go and listen for yourself, using a similar system to your own. Then you will know which is most suitable.

Unfortunately it's not possible to audition them, I have heard them few months ago, but that memory is lost.

Just they were also available as a nice deal, but somehow I think I would like to go with the other 2 options... don't ask me why :) ?

like - changes to unlike - in a jiffy for us humans and thats why you must get your l**s moving ;) and try an audition with them instead of your fingers moving over your keyboard :D

One of my friends has the Revels and he loves it.

But ofcourse.. we all hear differently..

good luck and do post a pic of your setup when complete..

regards

igor, like you I listen to classical and jazz. I had a pair of KH310As on home trial a year or so ago. There is nothing wrong with them, they are perfectly nice, well behaved, competent speakers. They are just not very good. I appreciate you can't get ATCs, sadly, so I'd be inclined to go with Harbeth. They have a long and respected history and reputation for being good with classical music.

Thanks everybody for the advices, I will place an order tomorrow for the Harbeths, in the end they are a more cheaper option, and as I see from every ones experience they are not an inferior product.

I also like to keep my equipment, and since the Neumann is not that much (if even) better then there is no point to go for them.Any way I liked both options very much, it's a moot point to not go for the most cost effective one.

advertisement

Back