advertisement

Happy with what I have...

I'm afraid I just collect vintage hifi....

Meridian 100 series (back conservatory), Meridian 200 series (dining room), Meridian 500 series surround for the videos (lounge), Linn triamped Briks (also lounge), and my latest folly (front conservatory/new study) - a modest Naim Olive system......I pick up the SBLs on Friday :D:D

I am receiving complaints that the house is beginning to look like a hi-fi shop.

And I haven't even started on digital streaming..........

I'm way more interested in music than I am hi-fi, so I've never been much of a box-swapper. Over the last couple of years some of my gear started to die (after 25 years) and I decided to sort out some very nice vintage gear I inherited which has seen me spend more time and money on hi-fi than I ever have. My three systems were quite troublesome to sort out, but I'm almost there and when I am, there will be no more messing around with hi-fi. I don't really enjoy it for its own sake - it's just a means to an end, but the end is well worth it.

Last upgrade will probably be a nice MC cartridge. The Denon 103 I'm currently using is a bit of a disappointment. Keeping an eye on the classifieds...

I'm way more interested in music than I am hi-fi, so I've never been much of a box-swapper. Over the last couple of years some of my gear started to die (after 25 years) and I decided to sort out some very nice vintage gear I inherited which has seen me spend more time and money on hi-fi than I ever have. My three systems were quite troublesome to sort out, but I'm almost there and when I am, there will be no more messing around with hi-fi. I don't really enjoy it for its own sake - it's just a means to an end, but the end is well worth it.

Last upgrade will probably be a nice MC cartridge. The Denon 103 I'm currently using is a bit of a disappointment. Keeping an eye on the classifieds...

When you do get another MC cartridge, don't forget that Expert Stylus in Ashtead can re-tip it, etc. They give superb service. My Entre ( bought in '78 or '79 ) is still performing well after 4 new styli fitted over the years by Expert. Wyndham Hodgson ( the Prop.) told me it's still one of his favourite cartridges.

Perhaps it's because I'm over 60, and settled with my life, that I have reached a time in my life when I'm generally happy with what I have. I once pursued the ultimate car as well as audio equipment. Trying various makes of LS3/5as, for instance, to find which was ' The Best '. Being conned by various cables, etc. Now I have settled on a couple of pairs of old Harbeth speakers with Quad and Audiolab amplifiers. I've cancelled my subscription to Hi-Fi News, as I am bored with reviews of over-expensive speakers, turntables and amplifiers. OK, people generally settle down as they grow older, but the audio market appears to have settled into the portable MP3/headphones and the expensive separates market. I really can see the end of sensibly priced systems when my age group dies.

Hi Martyn,

I understand your dilemma all to well, as I've surpassed the desire to change anything in my system other then maybe pursue a few more cables and cartridges?, but much like you - I've come to the realization that enough is enough.

Newer technologies may at some point present a tad more top end extension here or there in speaker design, but at what cost?, purity?.

We all have to re-learn what the purpose of our systems are?, a means to an end - not an ongoing circle of torment or doubt. We tend to follow what are associates/peers consider as the next best thing/fav when there are those moments where we only make lateral upgrades at best.

I for one am very proud of you, and happy to see that with age you've in fact grown much much wiser. So enjoy what's left of life enjoying your LS 3/5As ( as they were my first venture into Mini-Minitors in 1982 and I've never outgrown what smaller speakers do - regardless of what others may say. )

You've gone through the trouble of finding what actually pleases your senses and in the end, it's that what we all should be striving for?.

Live long and prosper - as Mr. Spock would put it. Your quest has been fulfilled.

Cheers and good will to thee, from across the pacific I wish thee well.
Oscar

Hi Martyn,

I understand your dilemma all to well, as I've surpassed the desire to change anything in my system other then maybe pursue a few more cables and cartridges?, but much like you - I've come to the realization that enough is enough.

Newer technologies may at some point present a tad more top end extension here or there in speaker design, but at what cost?, purity?.

We all have to re-learn what the purpose of our systems are?, a means to an end - not an ongoing circle of torment or doubt. We tend to follow what are associates/peers consider as the next best thing/fav when there are those moments where we only make lateral upgrades at best.

I for one am very proud of you, and happy to see that with age you've in fact grown much much wiser. So enjoy what's left of life enjoying your LS 3/5As ( as they were my first venture into Mini-Minitors in 1982 and I've never outgrown what smaller speakers do - regardless of what others may say. )

You've gone through the trouble of finding what actually pleases your senses and in the end, it's that what we all should be striving for?.

Live long and prosper - as Mr. Spock would put it. Your quest has been fulfilled.

Cheers and good will to thee, from across the pacific I wish thee well.
Oscar

Thanks, Oscar. In fact, I don't have a pair of LS3/5as more. My small Harbeths are Alan Shaw's successor to the '3/5a, the HL-P3. Mine are now 20 years old and still sound fantastic.

I'm not sure I've ever understood the desire to upgrade. I suppose that because my interest in HiFi has always been technical, I only ever changed equipment when there was a technical improvement to be had. That way, I would keep kit until it was worn out or no longer being used. I would add stuff, for example a CD player when they first came out as I'd been waiting for the launch for years, or a cassette machine, but never felt the need to upgrade for reasons of audio performance. My one exception was to 'upgrade' from a Connoisseur BD1 to Linn LP12, something I regretted as it was no better.

I've been happy with my kit for about 30 years, recently changing loudspeakers as I fancied the technical challenge of making some actives. Can't think of anything new I'd buy now, even with a lottery win.

S

Thanks, Oscar. In fact, I don't have a pair of LS3/5as more. My small Harbeths are Alan Shaw's successor to the '3/5a, the HL-P3. Mine are now 20 years old and still sound fantastic.

Martyn,

You're more then welcome. Even better then, as I owned a pair of the exact same as well as their stablemate LS 3/5As in Ebony ( Gold Edition ) in 1994 - talk about the ones that got away.

And, as yours are well broken in - I can only imagine just how much joy the bring you. I've more onto a pair of the defunct DeVore Fidelity Gibbon 3's, as I was looking in 2009 at the Spendor SA-1 ( Zebrawood ), I came to my senses and realized that I just wanted a tad bit more on the bottom end, and am very happy with ones that only go down to 45Hz - 6dBs but it's more then enough welly to float my boat, as a true 28 - 30Hz cost a great deal more to obtain - and even then, I think many larger speakers aren't seriously covering that range - and if so......, why do speakers like Wilson Audio Alexandra's or Magico Q5s and Q3s exist at all?.

So are some merely under the illusion that their common everyday £2.000 - £5.000 floor standers are producing real bass?, or is it their imagination?.

I've often wondered what's what?.

Anyways, as mentioned - wisdom is not a given, and I'm happy once again to see that you've reached your journeys end.

Have a great weekend young man.
Oscar

Really great topic, and I can identify with the sentiment of the OP. I'm about 20 years younger and feeling nearly the same way. Actually, I feel like I'm coming full circle in a way. The greatest music listening experiences I could remember, prior to now, we're through a well regarded Sony CD player and Sony studio headphones (out the headphone jack of the CD player) in my teens back in the late 80s. My dad got them for me at a duty free shop at Schipol, when they were on sale (I think it was a guilt gift, as we were in transit, moving overseas for a few years for his work). It was really good kit, and reasonably pricey but didn't cost 'silly money'.

Now, I'm deriving most of my listening pleasure through a pair of Shure SRH-940s, a Graham Slee headphone amp, a Rega DAC and Amarra on a MacBook Air. Once again, not 'cheap' but not remotely in the price stratosphere.

Think we all go through the I'm happy where I am, then want to change a few times. We then either get to a level we are happy at - or it is no longer a priority to upgrade or even such a big thing in our lives. Contentment :)

A good rule of thumb is to meet your minimum level of expectation. Exceeding it can be a waste and not achieving it leaves you dissatisfied.

I have my most fun when collecting and listening to old rescued vinyl. I have been known to overspend on original James Brown records when I just gotta have it.

Louballoo

It's a good place to be in. Have been like this for about the last decade and have not really changed much (aside from replacing stuff that became problematic, worn carts). It was somewhat fun during my hifi craze but I am much happier where I am now.

I think it's more a question of mindset rather than 'reaching the level you are satisfied with...' If you are more into the gear then I suppose you'd never really want to stop upgrading or changing. C'mon, guys, admit it, it's as much (or more) about the gear than the music. Nothing wrong with that :cool:.

Good on yer Grandad! (I'm soon to have the honour) Keep on keeping on. Now I have a proper vinyl front end and have come to the conclusion that amps is amps I play with cult speakers. Currently I have four pairs in rotation including Quad 57s.

Me too. Quad 57, LS50's for variety and sometimes a pair of P3ESR's.

Think we all go through the I'm happy where I am, then want to change a few times. We then either get to a level we are happy at - or it is no longer a priority to upgrade or even such a big thing in our lives. Contentment :)

Contentment is the holy grail; unfortunately it's transitory ! :D

It doesn't just apply to audio. To most people it's natural to move on to something new, but as to whether it is better that's an open question.

Perhaps I'm odd (yes, I know....) but I don't like buying new things. I try and keep my old things as long as possible, maintaining them until they are beyond economic repair, and even then, sometimes longer.

I buy shoes when my old ones wear out, I buy a new car and change it when it can't be repaired, I change stuff when I have to. It's nothing to do with money, as I'm quite happy to buy CDs, go out for meals, buy decent wine and scotch and when I do buy, I buy what I need pretty much regardless of price. It's just the act of disposing of something old that upsets me.

S.

advertisement

Back