advertisement

Happy with what I have...

I'm 28 and am really happy with what I've got.

I'm at the point now where I'd have to spend more than I'm happy to - to get appreciable sonic benefits. So I'm not going to :)

For a while I was really equipment freak (2 years or so). This is because I knew naff all, my first half decent amp was a Sony 2400es. My criteria at the time was how many watts per channel can it deliver and can I plug my 6 speakers into it ha ha :)

So I learnt a lot, experimented, had some huge gains and huge disappointments and now I'm satisfied.

It's just the act of disposing of something old that upsets me.

S.
Feel a bit that way about my old car. Although I have just bought a new car I can't quite bring myself to dispose of my 1994 Nissan. It has looked after me so well and cost me so little to keep going.

As for HiFi, I think I have reached a point where I have addressed all vices so any 'upgrades' from now on are going ro be very much in the want category rather than the need.

Steve

Perhaps I'm odd (yes, I know....) but I don't like buying new things. I try and keep my old things as long as possible, maintaining them until they are beyond economic repair, and even then, sometimes longer.

I buy shoes when my old ones wear out, I buy a new car and change it when it can't be repaired, I change stuff when I have to. It's nothing to do with money, as I'm quite happy to buy CDs, go out for meals, buy decent wine and scotch and when I do buy, I buy what I need pretty much regardless of price. It's just the act of disposing of something old that upsets me.

S.

I can relate to most of this; I am the same way. I consider myself something of a Luddite -- newer is not necessarily better. I like to buy things for the long term, have it last for years and years until it breaks or is no longer capable of functioning well.

I can't deal with the built in obsolescence that is so common these days.

I can relate to most of this; I am the same way. I consider myself something of a Luddite -- newer is not necessarily better. I like to buy things for the long term, have it last for years and years until it breaks or is no longer capable of functioning well.

I can't deal with the built in obsolescence that is so common these days.

I wish more people were like this...

I wish more people were like this...

So do I, and yet without the steady churn of new products, companies like Apple, Nokia and Samsung would have a very lean time. Given that there's limited growth in the mobile-phone market, it's kept going by people regularly upgrading to a newer model. Imagine if everyone was like me, keeping their mobile telephone for 10 years?

Our High Streets are having a lean enough time as it is, if everyone stopped buying new stuff because the old one is perfectly serviceable, there would be economic collapse.

And yet, it all seems just so wasteful and pointless.

S.

I'm on the wrong side of 40, but I'm also happy with what I have. Sometimes, however, I wish my CD player were more Thoilian in design.

Joe

Alex,

Is that what the kids are calling them these days?

Yeah, big active speakers would be spiffy, but I don't feel I'm missing much with big, vintage passive speakers.

Joe

Alex,

I have heard the term bazoombas. Maybe it's the circles I move in.

Joe

Alex,

I have heard the term bazoombas. Maybe it's the circles I move in.

Joe

New one on me! Ahh, I lead a such a sheltered life.

Back to the speakers thing, I do feel a need to scratch the active itch; unfortunately, I have some fairly high quality passives by Vienna Acoustics, and they're worth bugger all second hand since no one's heard of them. I'm curious as to how much one would need to spend to better them though - the technical advantages of active are clear enough, but you still need a decent cabinet and drive units...

Alex

New one on me! Ahh, I lead a such a sheltered life.

Back to the speakers thing, I do feel a need to scratch the active itch; unfortunately, I have some fairly high quality passives by Vienna Acoustics, and they're worth bugger all second hand since no one's heard of them. I'm curious as to how much one would need to spend to better them though - the technical advantages of active are clear enough, but you still need a decent cabinet and drive units...

Alex

If your current 'speakers have decent drivers and cabinets, you could turn them active yourself. If they're not worth much as they are, you don't have a lot to lose. You could always put them back to original spec. if you should want to sell them later.

S

Alex,

I get used to hi-fi upgrades quickly, so the initial thrill of something new or better disappears in a matter of days.

My advice: Save your cabbage, put the spare dough towards some new music or buy a couple of gorillas.

Joe

If your current 'speakers have decent drivers and cabinets, you could turn them active yourself. If they're not worth much as they are, you don't have a lot to lose. You could always put them back to original spec. if you should want to sell them later.

S

Yes, I'd thought about that. Trouble is, it's hard to get the crossover right isn't it?

Yes, I'd thought about that. Trouble is, it's hard to get the crossover right isn't it?

You have the original crossover frequencies as a starting point, you can play around with filter types and slopes, and with a DSP-based crossover like the DCX2496, you also have parametric EQ so you can set up the loudspeakers either as flat as possible, or to taste. As all settings are saved in memory, you can change things as much as you like and always get back to something earlier.

S

You have the original crossover frequencies as a starting point, you can play around with filter types and slopes, and with a DSP-based crossover like the DCX2496, you also have parametric EQ so you can set up the loudspeakers either as flat as possible, or to taste. As all settings are saved in memory, you can change things as much as you like and always get back to something earlier.

S

Sounds like fun! :)

Really? Although I agree with everything you've said, I think I'd have something bigger and better if money was no object.

One can always get something that's 'better' but I'd rather spend the $ on other priorities, e.g. music, music, music, wine, travel etc.

Generally, I think we buy simply too much of stuff we don't really need (I am as guilty as this as anybody else). There is much to be said for paring back to the really worthy stuff and living with less...

advertisement

Back