advertisement

Hania Rani - Jazz/Avante Garde Piano

Being played live tonight via you tube - link below, from 7pm UK time.

“When I was asked to compose a soundtrack for a movie about the family of Giacometti I didn’t think twice. Alberto Giacometti, a Swiss artist, who worked mainly as painter and sculptor has been one of my favourite artists for a long time. His individual style, aesthetics and the character of his creative process is still fascinating to me on many levels, so being able to dive even deeper into his universe, getting to know not only him but also his family was an opportunity that I couldn’t miss.

Little did I know how far this “yes” would take me - not only mentally and on a creative level but also physically. Thanks to the director of the documentary - Susanna Fanzun and by a stroke of luck and a couple of extra questions I decided to move for a couple of months to the Swiss mountains, not far away from the place where Giacometti was born and where the place he called home was, although he didn’t live there.

Susanna showed me a place close to her hometown where I could rent a studio and work on the soundtrack but also for my other projects. It was the middle of a winter, the area was full of ice and snow, just like only it can happen still in the mountains. The residency house was located in a valley surrounded by high mountains and the sun in the winter season was not coming up for too long during the day. I remember she told me about it and added 'that not everyone is feeling well there, but I hope you will'. I did.”

Hania Rani

Thanks to this thread, I’ve just ordered Poppy Ackroyd’s sketches CD. Lovely stuff.

Will follow more of the links now.

Her new album "Ghosts' arrived a few days ago (well, the full D/L, vinyl shortly) - and I am really enjoying it.
Her progression into musical releases has been very listenable, at least for me.

Hania's Bandcamp page

Yeah enjoying this as well, also waiting on vinyl. Looking forward to seeing her in Manchester in a couple of weeks

Superb live performance
Yes, it’s very good. Thanks, Tony. It seems to have made me like Ghosts much more than I did at first.

I also got this new book of poetry by Krystyna Miłobędzka recently, as it comes with a CD of Hania playing some delicate piano compositions, interspersed with short readings…

IMG-1157.jpg

IMG-1158.jpg

I can’t say anything about the poetry as it’s in Polish, but Hania is excellent.

Krystyna Miłobędzka / Hania Rani - ciebie ode mnie

"Ghosts" playing now - LP received this morning.

This is very different to her previous recordings, far nearer "mainstream" - fantastic pressing on clear vinyl.

Like this? Check out BADBADNOTGOOD III. Slightly, sort of, cast in the same mould. Same applies to Melanie de Biasio's latest.

Last edited:
It seems to have made me like Ghosts much more than I did at first.

My clear vinyl copy turned up yesterday, and I like it, but she is moving away from what I liked so much about her first two albums and towards something far more mainstream. It even triggered my Enja alarm at times. Lovely recording and still a lot to like in the more atmospheric bits.

My clear vinyl copy turned up yesterday, and I like it, but she is moving away from what I liked so much about her first two albums and towards something far more mainstream. It even triggered my Enja alarm at times. Lovely recording and still a lot to like in the more atmospheric bits.
The same can be said for the live show unfortunately. Way too much electronic wibbling and far too little actual piano playing, in Manchester at least. Much preferred the previous stoller hall show (could have been due to small intimate venue and comfy seat though 🙂)

advertisement

Back