advertisement

Gustard Network Switch... Thoughts?

The biggest change I made to my streaming audio was to change my DNS server from Vodafone to Google. And 8.8.8.8 sounds a lot more open in the highs between the notes than 8.8.4.4. Honest.
With 4 being the Chinese unlucky number and 8 the lucky one, that makes sense to me.

I think it all depends on whether you've invested a grand in a proper audiophile grade ethernet cable.

If you have you'll probably think this switch is the dogs danglies.

If you haven't you've saved yourself enough cash for a week somewhere nice in the Cotswolds.
Invested?

Clock aside, I think that this thing may only be able to give any improvement if there is a problem to solve. Same with power conditioners - if you already have clean power they can’t make any difference.
I do however have an itchy finger poised over the ‘Buy’ button with the ever present hope and excitement that yet another magic box will help transport me to audio nirvana!

There's only one way to find out if it brings a positive benefit to YOUR system, seems that (predictably) no-one here has "invested".

Ethernet magnetics consist of a transformer, that has to block DC and 50 Hz up to several hundred volts while passing a signal that goes up to 300 MHz or more and a common mode choke that keeps RF noise under control.
Shielded vs unshielded does make a big difference. If you use shielded F/UTP cable, it must have the shield connected at both ends to work. This means the the signal grounds are connected, so you MAY have an earth loop

Clock aside, I think that this thing may only be able to give any improvement if there is a problem to solve. Same with power conditioners - if you already have clean power they can’t make any difference.
I do however have an itchy finger poised over the ‘Buy’ button with the ever present hope and excitement that yet another magic box will help transport me to audio nirvana!
If it does bring an improvement to your system then you should maybe ask why? And if the answer is that your streamer or DAC is hopelessly unprotected from whatever bad karma is sneaking in from your Ethernet cabling then wouldn’t a better way of making yourself poorer be to spend the money on a better streamer or DAC?

A suggestion. If you're intrigued by the possible benefits of a Network switch why not borrow an Innuos dem unit from a dealer? They are well reviewed and easily available

I'm of a mind that trying to discuss why switches shouldn't make a difference or if they do it's because it's a poor streamer/DAC design is pointless.

Once the foo is debunked the inevitable default response of "why don't you just try it then" is deployed.

I'm of a mind that trying to discuss why switches shouldn't make a difference or if they do it's because it's a poor streamer/DAC design is pointless.

Once the foo is debunked the inevitable default response of "why don't you just try it then" is deployed.
So whatever your personal view, someone on the point of purchase of one of these shouldn't even try one from a well-known brand? That's enlightened!

With 4 being the Chinese unlucky number and 8 the lucky one, that makes sense to me.

Even Naim jumped from the 3-series to the 5-series, leapfrogging over the 4's.

That is why there are Nait 3 and Nait 5 amps, but no Nait 4 ones.

So whatever your personal view, someone on the point of purchase of one of these shouldn't even try one from a well-known brand? That's enlightened!

Yep, pretty much, you'd be an idiot to buy an audiophile network switch let alone spend £3000 on one which effectively costs you £1000 per NIC.

Everyone's free to do or buy what they want but I'm also free to think they are an idiot.

Yep, pretty much, you'd be an idiot to buy an audiophile network switch let alone spend £3000 on one which effectively costs you £1000 per NIC.

Everyone's free to do or buy what they want but I'm also free to think they are an idiot.
Especially when that kind of money could buy you this:

Cisco CBS350-48NGP-4X -- 40 x Gigabit Ethernet + 8 x 5G + 4 x 10G

I don't believe anyone has mentioned this, but:

Where exactly are you going to derive the 10mhz clock from for these switches? Unless you're actually going to feed it an external clock signal then what's the point?

advertisement

Back