advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt III

As long as the helicopter sound is computer fans and not a problem in the amp am sure I can fix it by moving stuff around.

BTW I've got a new (to me) chord for you Tony. Play a E major shape barre chord at the 8th fret, but instead of a barre just fret the note on the 1st string and let the two open strings ring out. Mid-west Emo joy awaits :) Also works, but not as well, at the 5th fret.

BTW I've got a new (to me) chord for you Tony. Play a E major shape barre chord at the 8th fret, but instead of a barre just fret the note on the 1st string and let the two open strings ring out. Mid-west Emo joy awaits :) Also works, but not as well, at the 5th fret.

That’s good; seems to work at quite a few places on the neck too (just quickly tried it on the Yam classical).

That’s the Alex Lifeson chord at his proggiest. You are over 40 years late !

Technically I've been playing guitar since I was 9. However, I've been more of a 'casual' player, picking it up for a bit and then not touching it for months or sometimes even years at a time. However, the last 18 months or so I've picked it up and can't seem to put it down. I've owned fairly basic gear but have recently started splurging and it may be getting out of hand! I've now got:

Amps
Kemper Power Head
Victory Sheriff 22
Victory V40 Duchess
*Fender Blues Deluxe (not re-issue)
Boss Katana MkII Head
*Orange Micro Terror
*Yamaha THR10C

Cabs
Zilla 2x12 cab (Scumback M75 and H75 loaded)
Orange PPC-112

Effects
Line 6 HX Stomp
Various Assorted Pedals.

Guitars
Tokai Goldstar Sound
Fender Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro

As you can see, I need to thin the ranks so will be listing a few pieces for sale over the coming days! (Those marked with *)

Meanwhile, here's picture of the Zilla 2x12 (which I picked up today) with the little Sheriff 22 on top :D

50360046278_bbddbfd08c_b.jpg

Lefty

Some of those were interesting. Ignoring the inevitable blues widdly widdly it’s pretty clear that is where the angle-grinder chord sound of stuff like Wire’s I Am The Fly comes from. They accidentally found that in the opening segment, from the Danelectro I think.

I picked up a rather nice Les Paul Standard 50s at the weekend. No weight relief here so its a heavy beast at a touch over 4kg. I haven't owned an LP for decades so its good to have one back in my possession.

Very nice - that's not too heavy compared to some out there. What's the fit and finish like?

Looks like a nice Lester, great colour/finish, headstock still in the right place. Is it a current one?

PS Since my post upthread I’ve bought some far better postage scales as I tend to be shipping heavier orders in these covid 19 times and all my weights for my instruments upthread look to be 100g light, e.g. Fat Lester is 4.21kg, the Yam 3.68kg.

I picked up a rather nice Les Paul Standard 50s at the weekend. No weight relief here so its a heavy beast at a touch over 4kg. I haven't owned an LP for decades so its good to have one back in my possession.

Beautiful flame on that maple. Don't think I've come across one where it was bookmarked in an angled pattern like that - very nice :)

50409012137_4c7cc227ae_b.jpg
proudly displayed on my nw painted wall - my yamaha msg - had it from new and they seem to be still sought after (still remember it arriving in the post in the 80s - great guitar)
AF1QipP8ohEtrgFlUHnUUWFvp95acFZF3lfBZqxk4K_V

proudly displayed on my nw painted wall - my yamaha msg - had it from new and they seem to be still sought after (still remember it arriving in the post in the 80s - great guitar)

Says it all that Fender had to bring in expertise from Yamaha to resurrect the company...

Lovely Yam, I’d put money on it being a Les Paul with all the issues fixed (weight, balance, detachable headstock etc)!

Interesting TPS today:

The conclusion was inevitable given who they are and what they think, but if anyone wants to know why so many of us swear by valve trem and spring reverb it has all the evidence. It was game over before they even got to the TPS studio for me, the quiet session reverb was just so different to my ears.

PS Matthew, how’s the new Morgan?

50409012137_4c7cc227ae_b.jpg
AF1QipP8ohEtrgFlUHnUUWFvp95acFZF3lfBZqxk4K_V

Nice Yamaha :)

I had to do a double take and check the headstock again - I was sure it was a Tokai LoveRock double-cut..

EJ5qW9Qh.png

PS Matthew, how’s the new Morgan?

It's fantastic! Indeed something of a revelation as it sounds so revealing (if that's not too hifi a term) that it feels like I am hearing my guitars for the first time. It sort of works like a force multiplier on, say, changing between pick up positions if you see what I mean. Or using a single pedal and then fiddling with all the knobs to find it does a lot more than I thought. I wonder how much of this is down to having a hgih quality speaker as much as the actual amp?

In fact in some ways it almost sounds too good; it sounds so beautiful that I keep wanting to play it well within it's clean headroom and try different chord voicings and pick the notes to hear its range. For an unreconstructed barre chord vamping indie kid like me this is uncharted territory! So although I can, with my attenuator, get it to overdrive at very useable volumes I have mostly been playing it clean.

advertisement

Back