advertisement

Griffin speakers.

Back to the 27 Aperiodic speaker. After years of offering them with no takers I very sadly started to dismantle them for spares tonight.

I took out the tweeters first.

Then took the KEF SP1014 mid/bass drivers and saw this:

What the hell is this, I thought.

A closer examination with the phone camera revealed:

A row of big Jensen paper caps in big cases. Surely this can't be right for a cottage industry mid-70s speaker, at a time when big names like KEF were still using electrolytics?

The cabinet is cross-braced as well!

Maybe I should put those tweeters back in...:D

Hi guys,
This is a new account as I've just been given my dad's old system. The speakers are griffin (the 25s, if I'm picking up the info correctly!). This is the only place I can find any information on them at all.
How on earth do i hook them up to an amp? The back is a fantastic mystery with just 'left' and 'right' stickers, and a small metal pin opening.
Though i hesitate to admit it to this kind of forum my dad's original way of hooking them up was to 'jam the wire in until it worked'.

I do have photos but don't know where to host them that will allow me to still post here

Hi and welcome!

The small metal pin opening sounds a bit like a description of a 2 pin DIN socket- my Griffin 27 have these.

You'd need an appropriate connector on the wires, like this:

53216265960_5998220c13_b.jpg

If you have speaker wire with banana plugs attached (as many people do), there are adaptors available- I used this method with my Griffins.

Thank you so much! This looks like it would fit perfectly. It's been a fun learning curve figuring out what i need to get to hook it all up again.

advertisement

Back