advertisement

Griffin speakers.

From the blogosphere...

One thought on “Griffin G200”
Latin Ear says:
November 2, 2013 at 12:52 pm
Ah, what memories! My Saturday job at a local Hi-Fi shop and Griffin dealer! If memory serves, our most frequent recommendation was the Griffin 27 Aperiodic and the Griffin 25; we never did get a pair of 85’s on SOR despite our close friendship with Paul. Almost irrespective of source components and amplifiers, the Griffins had an incisive open and detailed soundstage, with bass only present when it was ‘really’ there. Not every customers cup of tea, but most people appreciated the natural sound quality. Comparing the 27 ‘Ape’ with the Spendor BC1 made the Spendor sound sluggish and terminally dull with only the imaging rescuing an otherwise poor show. For some reason, Griffins never did very well in magazine tests, and this may well have been largely ‘political’ as Paul didn’t schmooze well the the Hi-Fi press, the Haymarket crowd especially; and their endorsement or the lack thereof, could make or break a brand. He had an (near) contempt for the ‘golden ears’ brigade, as they had no engineering experience to speak of, and often wrote reams of twaddle about products without much merit. At the time, I read press reviews of Griffin kit that bore no relation to the sounds I’d hear when doing demos, so I think the knives were out from an early stage. In the end, Griffin needed the services of a decent industrial designer, (eg: someone like Boothroyd of Meridian,) and a marketing team, but it stayed largely as a one man band and the result is a matter of history. Sadly missed, as I believe they could have flourished, and who knows what Paul would have brought to market as he was an incredibly creative and smart guy.

Well, time passes, and somehow I have managed to get my hands on a pair of the 27 Aperiodic mentioned in the post above.
Very interested in the fact that they are using the very large T52 tweeter crossed over quite low (1.6kHz, only going to 7kHz, and have a Coles 4001K for the really high stuff, quite different usage to my old favourite KEF 105 which has the T52 going up all the way to 20kHz. It seems to me that they are trying to make the crossover points disappear as the frequency range of each driver overlap into the next.
I was also pleased to see that they are mirror image in layout, not so common on speakers of the time.

According to the above thoughts in the last post this thing beats a Spendor BC1!
I, sadly, cannot tell you as I must shamefully admit that they are still in the car where they have been since I picked them up. There's also the small matter of the fact that I haven't heard the BC1.

Very much looking forward to having a chance to listen. Will give further thoughts on them when I do.

DSC_2602

This is the first chance I have gotten to try these out. They sound as if they haven't been played for ages...woolly as hell which I know they shouldn't be with a Kef T52 and Coles 4001. Maybe the crossover caps need to reform.

They are improving as I speak with the upper regions beginning to come on song, but it's quite an odd sound, as if there is a hardness in the midrange at times. Perhaps too bright? They do have pretty good soundstage width. I'll break them in as time allows.
Ah, I miss the days of the sealed box*.

*see post 27

Last edited:
They certainly look great for their age. Those stands appear to be period correct, and somewhat familiar looking, too.

Here is a repost of the ad that went AWOL from post #7. The way they describe the crossover, there may well be a good number of aged capacitors within.
The KEF T52 (SP1049) data sheet specifies a minimum crossover frequency of 3000Hz, with filter cut-off slope at least 18dB; no mention of ferro-fluid (nor any within the Coles 4001), which is nice.

Griffin.jpg

Last edited:
They are in quite good condition and seem very heavy for their size- solid cabinets. I have had those stands for ages, they came with a set of KEF 104aB. I also picked up a very similar pair recently with castors attached.

Yes, the T52 has no ferrofluid- but oddly, despite the KEF datasheet, Griffin seem to have crossed over the T52 from 1600Hz! At least according to the only specs for the 27 that I could find. There are now 3 pairs of T52 in my living room...
I put the 27s away last night (low stands and 1 year olds don't mix) but I will try and get them out again tonight for further investigation.

By the way Craig, thanks for reposting that advert- I recalled that being a vital source of info, and was looking for it a few weeks back, only to find it had disappeared.

24 hours later, I realised that they aren't sealed- those two little bits of foam at the top are, I think, resistive ports, someone please correct me if you know better. I suppose the foam is to Griffin ports what drinking straws were to Stewart Tyler's....

Yes, those are the 'aperiodic' vents. You can see in the ad that the Griffin 25 'Omega 2' and 'Omega 3' each had one of these fitted, as did the big Studio Electronic 85 model (unusually, positioned over the front of a bass reflex tube in the 85, make that model 'quasi-aperiodic').

Possibly the most famous 'speaker with aperiodic port loading is the Dynaco A25.

Dynaudio Variovent Data Sheet (.pdf 2MB, pg 2)
E. J. Jordan 'A Cabinet of Reduced Size With Better Low Frequency Performance' Part 2, Wireless World, Feb 1956, (.pdf 1.1MB)

Last edited:
Well, after a listen to these for several hours I was a bit disappointed. I have to say the aperiodic port idea really works and these things produce excellent low end when it is actually there- they don't seem to be speakers that do a puffed up show-off type of low end, rather just "present as required". Yet overall I wasn't s keen on the tonal balance/voicing.

All of the drivers are working but somehow the sound doesn't really work for me. I was surprised because I have heard all of these drivers in other speakers that I still own or have owned (original KEF 105, 104ab, B&W DM2a).
I would imagine they need a recap, but that's the last thing on my mind at the moment with a house move imminent. I did open them up to have a look and I think they seem to be stuffed with lots of real wool! The caps are hard to access without taking all of the stuffing out.
Obviously a quality product and perhaps with some love they could sing well again.

I had thought about breaking them up, but it seems wrong in some ways...even though the drivers alone would probably bring in about £200 which is less than I paid for them. This is a rare pair of speakers from the British golden age and that's what is giving me pause.

Does anyone know which drivers were used in the small 15c model , which an earlier poster mentioned ? They come up on ebay from time to time and either the grilles were glued on (unlikely) or the sellers are not confident enough to get the grilles off. They look like a two way with some sort of chrome/silver circle around each driver, based on what is discernible through the grille using a flash. No model number on the cabinets, sign orf a rear truss bolt, and oddest of all 2 DIN speaker sockets ? Not sure if that was for bi wiring, hard to do with those old plugs ? Maybe this model was when they were past their peak ? Thanks

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Does anyone know which drivers were used in the small 15c model , which an earlier poster mentioned ? They come up on ebay from time to time and either the grilles were glued on (unlikely) or the sellers are not confident enough to get the grilles off. They look like a two way with some sort of chrome/silver circle around each driver, based on what is discernible through the grille using a flash. No model number on the cabinets, sign orf a rear truss bolt, and oddest of all 2 DIN speaker sockets ? Not sure if that was for bi wiring, hard to do with those old plugs ? Maybe this model was when they were past their peak ? Thanks

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Those are the ones I had. I remember being "baffled" in getting the drive units off. IIRC the front driver panel is held on with a rod that goes through the speaker back. Undo the hex nut above speaker terminals. Audax bass unit was in mine.

Those are the ones I had. I remember being "baffled" in getting the drive units off. IIRC the front driver panel is held on with a rod that goes through the speaker back. Undo the hex nut above speaker terminals. Audax bass unit was in mine.
That's either a Pheonix or Super Pheonix

Hi, I have been doing some research on Griffin speakers and came across this site and thread.
Some years ago I bought a vintage Bang & Olufsen Beocentre for spares and was given a pair of speakers for free. I was told they were purchased with theB&O & were Kef but I knew this wasn’t the case. I accepted the speakers even though the seller had lost the grills. I set about finding out what they were and eventually came up with Griffin. I was aware of them living, as I did in the 70s, in the West Midlands as I had been encouraged to buy some when I purchased a new B&O setup by a local shop. The thing I remembered was the optional DIN speaker connections within the circular recess on the speaker back.
I have been clearing out all my old HiFi and now only have these Griffin speakers plus a pair of B&O speakers to go before I can start all over again.
What do you think I should do? Sell as now or make some speaker grills for it?
I think these are the 25 two speaker version measuring 18 3/4” tall x 9 1/2” deep x 10 3/8” wide.
Regards
Andrew

Yes, likely 25 Two (2-way) as the dimensions suggest a circa 25L enclosure volume.

As to "sell as now or make some speaker grills", if you have particular source(s) and amplifier in mind for your new system, why not hang on the these 'speakers and give them a go sans grills once you have acquired these? That is, assuming you have some suitable stands available with which to give these a proper audition. Based upon dimensions, Heybrook HBS1 stands would do nicely. Regardless, should these sound anywhere near as good as what a current similar size and build pair might do, then they would certainly be worth doing up grills for, perhaps even a refresh of the crossover capacitors within.

I was recently thinking about a pair of Griffin speakers I considered buying a while ago,
and now this thread has come back to life.
Now Andrew C is considering selling a pair.
My interest in Griffin is revived.

Yes, likely 25 Two (2-way) as the dimensions suggest a circa 25L enclosure volume.

As to "sell as now or make some speaker grills", if you have particular source(s) and amplifier in mind for your new system, why not hang on the these 'speakers and give them a go sans grills once you have acquired these? That is, assuming you have some suitable stands available with which to give these a proper audition. Based upon dimensions, Heybrook HBS1 stands would do nicely. Regardless, should these sound anywhere near as good as what a current similar size and build pair might do, then they would certainly be worth doing up grills for, perhaps even a refresh of the crossover capacitors within.

Hi, Sorry for the tardy reply dropped my phone and smashed its screen tha day after I posted my question. I have retained one B&O set and have yet tried the speakers using it. I was pleasantly surprised at the rich sound but it lacked the clarity of my S80s I think I am going to make some covers as with a mini terrorist around the house I fear she may be keen to “feel” the base speaker.
Thanks for your interest. Andrew

I was recently thinking about a pair of Griffin speakers I considered buying a while ago,
and now this thread has come back to life.
Now Andrew C is considering selling a pair.
My interest in Griffin is revived.
Hi Martin,
I have heard my Griffin 25s with two speakers. They sound very rich but seem to lack the clarity of my present B&O S80s I don’t care for them without a grill so will make a pair but will almost certainly sell them on. If you have any interest please make contact via [email protected]. Andrew

Hi everyone. New member but had to reply after searching for Griffin loudspeakers.
The genius behind them was Paul Griffin. He was a troubled man and passed away long before his time.
My design company produced all his advertising, brochures etc, in the late 80s when he was working out of a unit in Wednesbury West Midlands.
Just had to put that right that it was PAUL Griffin.

advertisement

Back