1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Grenadine anyone?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Vinny, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Of generally available brands in the UK, pretty much only Bols contains pomegranate apparently, the huge majority are raspberry-flavoured, which is similar(ish). Finding Bols, and then bringing yourself to pay for it can be a challenge though.

It occurred to me a while ago that maybe the pomegranate syrup/molasses that is used mostly in Middle Eastern cooking might do the job. It does, the only thing is, is that it isn't red/pink, it is slightly reddish cola colour. I use 1 tbspn molasses, 2 tspn sugar 5 tbspn water.

Hunt around for the molasses - from an Asian/Middle Eastern grocer around here the commonest is Cortas brand, and 300ml bottles sell for around £1.40. It contains nothing except reduced pomegranate juice, no added sugar.

2. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

In response to the thread title: ...apparently not.

3. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

I have family on St Vincent

4. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

Bols contains raspberry and strawberry.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-grenadine-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-187983

i have tried using molasses but it isnt the same. I think the heavily reduced molasses offers a different flavour profile. I would source some pure pomegranate juice and start from there.

From my memory i experimented with molasses to water ratio - I tried, 1:5 (like you) 1:8 and 1:10. 1:8 was my favourite, but a NOT real grenadine. You also need a few drops of orange flower water.

Personally I would buy this: https://www.masterofmalt.com/syrups...bAzbSfNgjWWdldTjQH0TXP90OYi24-mQaAqfQEALw_wcB

or even the one by William Fox

5. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Bols supposedly contains pomegranate........................

The Jack Rudy Grenadine is just juice, water, sugar and orange flower water at something like £25-30 per litre. The close DIY version is less than £1 per litre. Ocado also sell this, probably cheaper after you figure in delivery.

The orange flower water thing is a new one on me, no doubt just a Jack Rudy oddity as pretty much any combination of ingredients can be sold as Grenadine, as there are no regulations beyond the normal legal ones associated with foodstuffs.

6. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

I quite like Monin sirops, but often I just buy a pomegranate, squeeze it and add it to champers.

7. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

no

yes, a syrup made from juice, water, sugar

many recipes have that and lemon as well.