advertisement

Grenadine anyone?

Vinny

pfm Member
Of generally available brands in the UK, pretty much only Bols contains pomegranate apparently, the huge majority are raspberry-flavoured, which is similar(ish). Finding Bols, and then bringing yourself to pay for it can be a challenge though.

It occurred to me a while ago that maybe the pomegranate syrup/molasses that is used mostly in Middle Eastern cooking might do the job. It does, the only thing is, is that it isn't red/pink, it is slightly reddish cola colour. I use 1 tbspn molasses, 2 tspn sugar 5 tbspn water.

Hunt around for the molasses - from an Asian/Middle Eastern grocer around here the commonest is Cortas brand, and 300ml bottles sell for around £1.40. It contains nothing except reduced pomegranate juice, no added sugar.

pretty much only Bols contains pomegranate apparently,

Bols contains raspberry and strawberry.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-grenadine-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-187983

i have tried using molasses but it isnt the same. I think the heavily reduced molasses offers a different flavour profile. I would source some pure pomegranate juice and start from there.

From my memory i experimented with molasses to water ratio - I tried, 1:5 (like you) 1:8 and 1:10. 1:8 was my favourite, but a NOT real grenadine. You also need a few drops of orange flower water.

Personally I would buy this: https://www.masterofmalt.com/syrups...bAzbSfNgjWWdldTjQH0TXP90OYi24-mQaAqfQEALw_wcB

or even the one by William Fox

Bols supposedly contains pomegranate........................

The Jack Rudy Grenadine is just juice, water, sugar and orange flower water at something like £25-30 per litre. The close DIY version is less than £1 per litre. Ocado also sell this, probably cheaper after you figure in delivery.

The orange flower water thing is a new one on me, no doubt just a Jack Rudy oddity as pretty much any combination of ingredients can be sold as Grenadine, as there are no regulations beyond the normal legal ones associated with foodstuffs.

I quite like Monin sirops, but often I just buy a pomegranate, squeeze it and add it to champers.

advertisement

Back