advertisement

Gregory Porter's turntable

Never had anything McIntosh at home, but the best car head unit I’ve ever owned (and I’ve had most!) together with the best amp for in-car were both made by McIntosh in the 1990’s.. in fact the HU was a modified Clarion unit, the amps were designed and built from scratch, but they both sound wonderful.

I had one in a Subaru from 2008.

Sounded ok but died at about 4 years old. They wanted $4000 for a replacement - even the guy in spare parts who quoted me that price was embarrassed.

I installed an alpine unit (including having to replace a chunk of console) for half that price. And it sounded better that the Clarion/ McIntosh

my sister in law,played me his first album, i thought all the tracks sounded the same, a bit of a so so singer in my opinion, he might be a nice bloke, but that doesn't make him a good singer, totally overrated,

I understand that the 'scars' are far less visible these days (and he has had surgery many years ago) but 'the hat' has become a trademark.

Yes apparently GP has some scarring and wears the hat & balaclava combo as a "kind of security blanket", though I think it's fair to say it's become his easily recognisable image.
I can't say his music, singing or his choice in record players does anything for me.

my sister in law,played me his first album, i thought all the tracks sounded the same, a bit of a so so singer in my opinion, he might be a nice bloke, but that doesn't make him a good singer, totally overrated,

Each to there own i suppose, I remember Jez Nelson playing the first album on Jazz on 3 and thinking how distinctive his voice was, i think the first two albums were fantastic, it's all gone a bit soft since, a bit Daily Mail, shame in someways because that voice carries some weight, i think he could do something a lot edgier.

Pretty good metaphor for Porter's journey too...Hey, there goes that A Train...

I had one in a Subaru from 2008.

Sounded ok but died at about 4 years old. They wanted $4000 for a replacement - even the guy in spare parts who quoted me that price was embarrassed.

I installed an alpine unit (including having to replace a chunk of console) for half that price. And it sounded better that the Clarion/ McIntosh

Yeah, agreed. The McIntosh branded HU in the Subaru’s were rubbish. Not what I’m referring to!

This is the one.. MX5000...

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...cintosh-car-audio-appreciation-thread.510376/

It sounds sublime.

Love McIntosh electronics but I think the decks are hideous.

I don't know why you'd want to buy a product that is just a more expensive re-badge of someone else's? Why buy a Rega Carbon for £30 when you can buy an AT3600L for £10? Like I said, I think that the people who buy this stuff don't look into it very hard.

Some of the early McIntosh was good and most probably better than what they make today. The MR65B and MR71 were excellent tuners. The matching preamps were also well received. I remember in the late 1980s restoring a pair of McIntosh MC75 mono amps for Stuart Tyler (owner of ProAc). They were all hard-wired and were very nice amps. I've also serviced a couple of MC275's, the reissue of the original MC275 but nowhere near as well made as the original version.
The MC75 mono blocks were lovely amps and the MR71 tuners, superb.

I still have two MR71 tuners sitting here. I need to E-Bay one of them.

Reactions: GT
Ah.... Didnt know about that. Looking forwards to it myself.
Ahh sorry to have been the bearer of the unfortunate news Darren...the anticipation will just make it all the sweeter when it eventually lands on the mat! (Door and TT! )

The MC75 mono blocks were lovely amps and the MR71 tuners, superb.

I still have two MR71 tuners sitting here. I need to E-Bay one of them.

Agreed Dave. The early McIntosh equipment was very nice. I really enjoyed working on Stuart's MC75s and I have some old photos of those amps somewhere. I sold my MR71 a few years back. Wonderful tuner.

advertisement

Back