advertisement

Gregory Porter's turntable

I understand that the 'scars' are far less visible these days (and he has had surgery many years ago) but 'the hat' has become a trademark.

I wouldn't call any of the new Mcintosh kit 'decent audio' let alone go anywhere near the horrible green underlit turntable based on its looks.

Only Mcintosh amp I'd buy is the old MC240.

I kinda always thought of Macintosh as the kind of brand bought by people who have loads of money and just walk into a shop and ask for the best without bothering to actually listen to it or compare it to anything else.

I don't think I've ever seen a piece of MacIntosh kit never mind heard it. It's a bit like American cars, not many people outside of America are daft enough to buy them.

Well we have alot of Mcintosh in denmark. I overall like the stuff. Gregory porter is talentet, but a bit boring. Maybe like Mcintosh sound?

I don't think I've ever seen a piece of MacIntosh kit never mind heard it. It's a bit like American cars, not many people outside of America are daft enough to buy them.

Some of the early McIntosh was good and most probably better than what they make today. The MR65B and MR71 were excellent tuners. The matching preamps were also well received. I remember in the late 1980s restoring a pair of McIntosh MC75 mono amps for Stuart Tyler (owner of ProAc). They were all hard-wired and were very nice amps. I've also serviced a couple of MC275's, the reissue of the original MC275 but nowhere near as well made as the original version.

I recently took in a big pair of current production Mcintosh in part exchange, it was a ok amp it seemed reliable had a nice manual and well packaged. It terms of performance it was not awful had some positive traits for sure and could even understand why someone might buy one it certainly was not state of the art.

Never had anything McIntosh at home, but the best car head unit I’ve ever owned (and I’ve had most!) together with the best amp for in-car were both made by McIntosh in the 1990’s.. in fact the HU was a modified Clarion unit, the amps were designed and built from scratch, but they both sound wonderful.

advertisement

Back