Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Great sound on these Sade

Discussion in 'music' started by cyrusalan, Jan 17, 2021.

1. cyrusalan

cyrusalan pfm Member

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Have you compared against the original ‘80s pressings? These always were great sounding albums!

Andy1912, Pedro83, Rob998 and 2 others like this.
  3. forester

forester pfm Member

The originals are so good that remastering is a crime.

Rob998 likes this.
  4. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Even the crappest of recordings would still be sublime.

5. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

Kevin Gray did some cracking AAA versions a few years ago , new ones are 24/96 as source

6. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Indeed, I recently got a copy of the original 1980’s Sade first album from Tony@Pfm record shop and it sounds as smooth as silk.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I really like the first three, but the first is the high-watermark. Always a guilty pleasure as I was an indie kid and it kind of sat uncomfortably next to Minutemen, Sonic Youth, Foetus, Cocteau Twins etc, but it is a fabulous album that has really stood the test of time IMO.

PS The original issue CDs are great too (either Japanese or Austrian, black text on raw silver). Nice quiet masters with uncompressed dynamics, so turn ‘em up! The remasters just aren’t as good IMO.

8. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK I had amnesia once or twice...

I have a UK 'no barcode' CD made in Japan.

Sound excellent and can be picked up for next to nothing.

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I have the same J for EU one.

10. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

universal never actually mention what the source is , but you do get a nice certficate
    how do you get a 24/96 digital file to run at half speed !
    [​IMG]

11. leroyd

leroyd pfm Member

For me, the debut surpasses the rest of her catalogue by some distance.

12. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK I had amnesia once or twice...

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

If it is the black print on a silver disc (i.e. no colour paint) is as far as I’m aware exactly the same master. I’ve had them both and I can’t tell them apart.

The copies released in the USA are very different and IIRC actually use different mixes for the singles. UK or Japanese is allegedly the one to have on CD, and UK on vinyl.

14. Natara

Natara pfm Member

Yes I'd love to try these but silly money now but agreed the originals sound fantastic.

15. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

The originals are so good and as cheap as chips so I wouldn't bother with anything else.

16. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Several comments on Amazon that these new pressings are poorly produced with lots of surface damage, and also reports there that there are many similar problems reported elsewhere online.