advertisement

Great one liners...

There's glucose for energy, caramel for strength, the chocolate's only there to keep it the right length

(The Undertones, on the venerable Mars Bar..)

My nephew has been writing songs with Courtney, out in LA for the past week or two.

Say what you like about her, she's never done bland. I expect your nephew will have a fascinating time.

(Thought the lyric above might actually be Kurt's but, according to Wikipedia, the band deny it.)

Kind regards

- Garry

Say what you like about her, she's never done bland. I expect your nephew will have a fascinating time.

(Thought the lyric above might actually be Kurt's but, according to Wikipedia, the band deny it.)

Kind regards

- Garry

She's very smart and he follows her round noting what she comes out with and forming it into some sort of song. Brother is worried his lad will be lured into to a drug addled rock 'n' roll lifestyle :)

So much for the rock 'n' roll lifestyle :)

Nigel Blackwell, who essentially is HMHB, is about as far from rock 'n roll as it's possible to be. Here's an extract from an interview from around ten years back:

http://www.popmatters.com/feature/half-man-half-biscuit-060303/

'“I never did get around to taking drugs. I think it was probably to do with the fact that my older brother did, and so sometimes you tend to go in the opposite direction. It’s for this simple reason also, I imagine, that I don’t own any Yes albums. I’m not anti-drugs by the way (except for the smackhead who robbed our house obviously), I’ve just never been interested in them. I’ve not even tried any to be honest. Might do one of those Fly Agaric mushrooms for my 80th birthday, though.”

These days, as always, Blackwell is clearly keen to protect his privacy. He does few interviews and poses for absolutely no promotional photographs. Regardless, a clear picture of the man emerges from his work, and I envisage Blackwell as a kind of Wallace (of “and Gromit” fame) figure, happy to sit around his house, drinking tea and reading, dabbling in whatever takes his interest, taking long walks in the countryside and being very well known in his local pub. I also suspect him of having a dog.

“Most of that is probably true, although I don’t really go to the pub. Only once a week for about forty minutes in fact. But I do have a dog, yes—a Golden Retriever bitch—there is nothing as gentle on Earth.”

"Tell the man to turn the jukebox way down low
And tell your friend there with you, he'll have to go."

As sung by Jim Reeves. Then there's the whole catalogue of Hank Williams - the Shakespeare of Country Music.

The marked man in the unmarked car,
Sitting out in the cold got his work cut out

Now that I write it I realise one needs to hear it.

Rory - Public Enemy No 1

And not to forget Phillo

Guess who just got back today,
Those wide eyed boys that had been away

And on the day that's in it

I think I know I mean a "Yes" but it's all wrong
That is I think I disagree

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin

SJB

"My fine young son has turned out Gay"

The Police - Any Other Day

"My LP records and there all cracked" (same song)

All these from the same song

'Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive'

and

'He's never early, he's always late,
First thing you learn is you always gotta wait'

lastly

'I'm feeling good, I'm feeling so fine,
Until tomorrow, but that's just some other time'

Bloss

advertisement

Back