advertisement

Gratuitous Naked shots

I would like to try some at some point, very easy to make active and perfect for my small room, where do you use them Robert?

I would like to try some at some point, very easy to make active

You'd be wasting time and money going active, since all you'd gain is the removal of one cap in the tweeter circuit. In fact, since no active electronics are totally transparent the sound would likely be less good!

Epos 11s and 14s have a huge advantage over conventional speakers in that the bass-mid and tweeter are perfectly tuned to their application with almost no electrical crossover requirement.

Give them a decent amp (Naim or Avondale - NOT Cambridge ;)) and you'll be smiling for years to come.

Mr Tibbs

regarding them lasting for years, I found the ES11s to be not 100% durable. The roll surround on the edge of the bass/mid driver came detached on one speaker and because the driver and front baffle are one piece, the entire front baffle of one speaker needed to be replaced. Not a cheap option....

Wow guys there's some seriously neat DIY work going on there. After actually building something i always find it a bit of an effert to go back into it to de-construct and tidy up, especially if everything works and sounds good on initial testing.

Is the purpose of this thread to show some of the stuff that you've done, or just inside shots in general ... ?

I think as long as its bits we dont normally see we all get excited ;)

If you have anything unusual Sid get it open and get the pics on, assuming there's no risk whatsoever of any damage being caused to the equipment and yourself, the usual warnings about mains connected, capacitors drained etc.

Go on, crack open that 1070 and lets have a look at her ;)

Hi Robert,

really great to see the insides of the ES11! I have them and love them to death, now being driven by a 260z the bass really comes alive and from much lower volume levels. They need some welly to give their best although I have some very fond memories of them on the end of my old Nait3.

Is that tweeter cap depicted the original one, or have you changed it? What value is it?

If changed, did it give much of an improvement (it doesn't look like an electrolytic)?

/Magnus

I changed the tweeter cap on my ES14 a couple of months ago. It wasn't night and day, but worth doing (and only cost a few pounds in parts and a few minutes in time to do.)

The sound is just a bit sweeter and cleaner, a slight layer of whispiness is gone.

Interesting PD, was the original an electrolytic or plastic? What cap did you change to?

/Magnus

In my case, the original was a Bennic electrolytic, which was what was factory fitted - I have owned the speakers from new. Different production batches seem to have different values, as the design was tweaked over the years. In the ES14, some have 2.2uF and some 3.3uF.

I changed to a cheap and cheerful polypropylene, own brand from Wilmslow audio. Exotic boutique parts might be better, but I don't view them as cost effective.

The tweeter on the 11 rolls in pretty high - 5.5khz which I think goes some way to explaining why I like them. Look at where domes are often weak and you find it is at the bottom of their response - distortion rockets. Keeping the crossover nice and high minimises the problem.

In terms of drive, I think anything clean and tight is fine. You can build on the strengths of the speaker by using nice simple cable of good cross section and an amp with low output impedance - really clamp that main driver to the output stage. Old 1960s RCA derived circuits will do, or you may prefer something more modern ;)

The cap is the original factory fitted Bennic Polypropylene of 1.5uf. I can't see any reason to change it TBH.
The internal wiring looks like 1.5-2mm stuff and is short - again no need to fiddle.
Mine run with open cell bungs running the entire length of the port which brings loading closer to aperiodic than reflex - bass quality is hugely better and good extension and power is maintained unlike sealing them completely.
The only area I intend to tinker with is the internal stuffing since the very sparse lining on the rear panel will have been optimised for reflex operation.

They are an interesting speaker. I've had Impulse H2s in use now for a few years which if made today would cost roughly that of small car. Little touches them for scale, excitement and dynamic ability but the wee ES11 kicks them for tonality, seamlessness and, well, the niceness factor.

They are an interesting speaker. I've had Impulse H2s in use now for a few years which if made today would cost roughly that of small car. Little touches them for scale, excitement and dynamic ability but the wee ES11 kicks them for tonality, seamlessness and, well, the niceness factor.

I feel exactly the same way about my ES14s / Ergo IIIs.

Mine run with open cell bungs running the entire length of the port which brings loading closer to aperiodic than reflex - bass quality is hugely better and good extension and power is maintained unlike sealing them completely.

Stop messin' 'round trying to get some bass out of those little 11s -- just get a pair of 14s and be done with it :)

Mr Tibbs

Yes I agree Kasper, but have you seen the GOLD version, whooooo now that looks class !!
The 785 was £1000 back then and when I opened it up and see the minimalist approach I must admit to being shocked as to what I had paid for, I think they work on the " Single wire theory " it is not the best pre I have heard but I aim to improve its performance with a totally beefed up power supply, I had even contemplated the battery route as I have done with my Crimson CPR1S, and that walks all over the Burmester.
If you need any info on Crimson updates please PM me. I designed the PCBs and do updates and service work, besides still being active on the Hi-Fi side.

Whoa, 6 year zombie thread! Is this a record? Also, a poster called Samantha. I remember when we used to have women on here. Not many on DIY, but a few in audio and OT. Evidently hanging around with aging hifi geeks just wasn't that thrilling.

advertisement

Back