advertisement

Gratuitous Naked shots

This is how my Diy HIFI Supply 'Ella' valve amp' looked out of the box:

ella1.JPG

This is it completed in standard build before I started on the mod' trail....A lot has changed since it looked like this.

ella7_finished.JPG

This is how it looks the right way up:

FinishedElla.JPG

Brian

Hi, Markt

Just put a big strap from the common terminals to the smoothers, I use some thick braiding it makes a real difference, try it.

Pete

Hi, Markt

Just put a big strap from the common terminals to the smoothers, I use some thick braiding it makes a real difference, try it.

Pete

I'll give it a go one day in the new year, I have all the motivation of a sloath on mogodon wrt actually heating up the soldering iron at the moment, it's sounding pretty damn peachy!

Hi,

this is my QC24 after having received a selection of Epcos' and Rubycon's finest. Now the bass has returned, but the impact on the sound of the internal phono stage was much bigger than expected.

The mains cable is connected because this is a test run to see if any caps would explode due to reversed polarity. Otherwise, this would be a bad idea.

qc24_recapped_live.jpg

qc24_new_caps.jpg

Hi,

A PSU for a Nac72 using ALWSRs, Cerafines and LesW transformers:

FC-22a.jpg

More recently, a split rail supply for my brother’s Exposure VII pre-amp, this time using ‘Teddy’d’ ALWSRs, Cerafines, LesW’s transformers and incorporating a leaf-spring suspended regulator plate. All shoe-horned into a Naim sleeve:

finish_08.jpg

finish_13.jpg

And here’s one channel of a recently completed Hypex UcD700 based power amp. This is for Andrew, starter of the ‘Hypex’ thread, way back when. I guess I'm not the worlds fastest diy-er...

finish_04.jpg

finish_05.jpg

Stunning work mr sixty. I have all the bits to do a pre amp supply, SRs and those transformers, did you compare the super reg'd Naim supply to a hicap?

That giant spring across the middle, suspending the SRs. Serious effort gone into that design as a whole and the build quality, makes my christmas fun look worse than blue peter :(

Superb to look at :D

Thanks for the comments, guys :D.

Stunning work mr sixty. I have all the bits to do a pre amp supply, SRs and those transformers, did you compare the super reg'd Naim supply to a hicap?

I haven't done the comparison myself, but I believe my friend, who this psu was built for, has done the comparison and he certainly seems pleased with it. I think one of the key things to getting the best out of the ALWSRs is LesW's brilliant transformers. I didn't try that many different caps but get the feeling that they may be less important(?). However, since this psu was built (over two years ago), there has been lots of work by the folks on this forum and I'd particularly recommend Teddy Pardo's VBE mod for this regulator as, imo, it provides another big-up in performance.

That giant spring across the middle, suspending the SRs. Serious effort gone into that design as a whole

The idea of springing the regs started out as a bit of fun because there seemed plenty of room in the case, though it ended up becoming a bit of a pain and I would have ditched it if I wasn't so stubborn. No idea if it actually makes any difference!

By all accounts, my earlier stuff was way worse than Blue Peter! The later certainly had a big influence on me - very difficult to walk around B&Q, Lakeland Plastics, etc without thinking hmmm, that could be a housing for a phono-stage... The other big influence was that (80's?) Naim leaflet/poster of the insides of a 250 - I've always strived to try and be as neat ever since. The downside is that it then takes me ages to actually do anything.

There's more of my meddlings on a website I've put together at http://www.nodecorporation.co.uk/ hopefully diy-ers might find it of interest. It is a bit anoraky, though...

Geesixty,

Gee...
The quality of your work and the quality of the pics....
WRT to the title of this thread, its like a Penthouse spread in between amateur shots of wives and girlfriends..

I'm certain that the Fcap built by geesixty is quite a bit better than a Hicap. I don't know whether the difference is mostly down to transformers, to the superregs or the overall standards of construction. But it's certainly a damned fine power supply that sounded quite a bit better than an admittedly old Hicap in a fairly modest system like mine (currently old 250 plus 72) and I'd recommend it.

If you want details of how its better than a Hicap - well in everything really. Clarity, timing, sounding like music, lack of hash between notes, drummier drums etc etc - just no comparison.

Andrew H

The other big influence was that (80's?) Naim leaflet/poster of the insides of a 250 - I've always strived to try and be as neat ever since

And you've succeeded judging by the projects on your website.

Superb construction and attention to detail.

Paul.

And just to show how good Geesixty's work is, I can proudly display my mickey mouse & blue peter effort :D

180-10s.JPG

More in the DIY department if you somehow really want to know about it ?!?

My Starfish pre shoehorned into a NAC62 case:

pfm0899.jpg

My old home-built A260z power amp:

a260z-939.jpg

And my Wilmslow Classiques:

DSC0628.jpg

DSC0638.jpg

DSCF0974.jpg

Remove the four long bolts and it all come apart.

A very nicely engineered speaker with 1'' thick top and side panels, central brace and of course the moulded front and rear panels with integral driver basket.

P1020667.jpg

P1020657.jpg

P1020658.jpg

P1020659.jpg

P1020661.jpg

P1020662.jpg

P1020664.jpg

P1020666.jpg

advertisement

Back