advertisement

Grammar query: that versus which

I've always considered myself to be a grammar Nazi, but I can't remember ever learning it as a grammar rule. I would agree that it's something you probably just assimilate.
I knew teachers who thought school was the Borg collective and did no real teaching.

Time for the old chestnut again.

"James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher".
Love that one! Also good is: "that that is is that that is not is not is that it it is."

Never forget - punctuation and grammar is the difference between helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Here's another one: in England, why is "hospital" a state of being rather than a physical location?

As in, "I regret to inform you that he is unwell and in hospital" instead of "...in the hospital".

Our in house grammar experts might have to confer in camera over that one.
I'm not saying that American English is consistent here either. We blather on about our time "in college" while we're having coffee with our friends "in town". But that's the same in the UK, so why the difference for "hospital"? We can at least all agree that no one says "Please remember to buy some bread while you're in supermarket," so what makes a hospital building different?

I'd have thought you needed a lot more than 4 for some of those biochemical molecule things. You live and learn.
It's a chemist's joke about the valency of carbon, which is 4. It means that carbon can form 4 organic (covalent) bonds. The elements found in organic compounds basically never exhibit a valency greater than 4. Valencies of 1 and 2 are commonplace, 3 is rare and 4 is generally only carbon. Inorganic compounds form ionic bonds. They can upon occasion exceed 4 bonds, but ionic bonds differ conceptually and in nature from covalent bonds and the chemists' notation is different. The joke therefore runs that organic chemists and biochemists count up as "one, two, three, four, fi... Oh f*** it, it's ionic. Who cares?."

I'm not saying that American English is consistent here either. We blather on about our time "in college" while we're having coffee with our friends "in town". But that's the same in the UK, so why the difference for "hospital"? We can at least all agree that no one says "Please remember to buy some bread while you're in supermarket," so what makes a hospital building different?
Dunno. I'm in work. Should I be in the work?

It’s not so much English/American, but it annoys me in a cafe if, when someone brings your food,
they just say ‘Enjoy.’
It seems lazy.
Why not say ‘Enjoy your food.’ ?
Or is it just me being odd ?
My wife thinks so.

Well, of the examples cited, 'in the supermarket' seems to be the odd one out. We find ourselves 'in school', 'in college', 'in town'. If we found ourselves 'in trouble' we might then be 'in court' and end up 'in prison'. Alternatively, we might find ourselves 'in the city', 'in the dentist's', 'in the office' or, preferably, 'in the pub'.

I'm not detecting a rule, other than perhaps that there isn't a rule and it's a bit random and, perhaps, depends on how it trips off the tongue.

advertisement

Back