advertisement

Graham Audio LS5/9

I'll explain. In the Harbeth m40 speakers, the midrange is reproduced by an eight-inch Radial driver, it's in the middle between the tweeter and the bass driver. This Radial driver inside the cabinet has its own volume. That is, there is a small box attached to the front of the enclosure from the inside, in which the midrange Radial driver runs. You can see pictures of how this is set up in various reviews on the Harbeth m40. The rest of the cabinet is for the bass 12" driver. It needs a lot of volume and is slow. And the midrange Radial driver is fast. And it turns out that the midrange in the Harbeth m40 is faster than in the Harbeth shl5plus, where the Radial driver has to play both midrange and bass, so it runs the entire volume of the speaker cabinet.

When fed by a 400Hz low-pass filter, how "fast" does a woofer need to be?

Bass isn't fast. Perhaps a bass instrument can sound fast, but that's because of its high frequency harmonics.

Do you think you can hear the difference between a "slow" woofer and a "fast" woofer if listened to alone through a low-pass filter? (i.e. with the mid and tweeter disconnected)

Bass isn't fast. Perhaps a bass instrument can sound fast, but that's because of its high frequency harmonics.
The bass can be articulate and fast, or it can be sluggish and slow. It's a matter of the characteristics of the bass driver itself, the volume of the box it runs in, and the crossover.
What you write about is called psychoacoustics. You are describing a case where the lack of sub-bass and the lift in the upper bass creates a sense of speed. But check with EQ, it won't work that way with the Harbeth. I tried it.

Do you think you can hear the difference between a "slow" woofer and a "fast" woofer if listened to alone through a low-pass filter? (i.e. with the mid and tweeter disconnected)

so are you stating that the speed of a bass driver doesnt exist?

you should read my post back a couple page back

I can't find an answer to this question. Why did Graham Audio's marketers decide that Derek Hughes' speaker design was worth more than Alan Shaw's design? Derek Hughes has been designing speakers for a long time. But all of his previous work has always been considered a compromise compared to Harbeth and has always cost less. In our world of market economics, it's rare for the best thing to cost less than the worse thing. For example, Derek Hughes used to make Stirling ls3/6s. But those speakers were always cheaper than the Harbeth SH5plus and sold much worse. Then Derek worked at Spendor, but his Spendor sp1/2 always cost less than the Harbeth SHL5plus and was considered less among audiophiles as a less prestigious option than the Harbeth. Derek's concept of sound hasn't changed since then, so why should Graham now cost more than Harbeth. The Graham speakers, like all of Derek's previous work in Stirling and Spendor, I hear a crooked tonal balance, there is a lack of lower midrange and bass. Nothing has changed in this time, but it now costs more and is considered better than the Harbeth. The wonders of marketing.

I can't find an answer to this question. Why did Graham Audio's marketers decide that Derek Hughes' speaker design was worth more than Alan Shaw's design? Derek Hughes has been designing speakers for a long time. But all of his previous work has always been considered a compromise compared to Harbeth and has always cost less. In our world of market economics, it's rare for the best thing to cost less than the worse thing. For example, Derek Hughes used to make Stirling ls3/6s. But those speakers were always cheaper than the Harbeth SH5plus and sold much worse. Then Derek worked at Spendor, but his Spendor sp1/2 always cost less than the Harbeth SHL5plus and was considered less among audiophiles as a less prestigious option than the Harbeth. Derek's concept of sound hasn't changed since then, so why should Graham now cost more than Harbeth. The Graham speakers, like all of Derek's previous work in Stirling and Spendor, I hear a crooked tonal balance, there is a lack of lower midrange and bass. Nothing has changed in this time, but it now costs more and is considered better than the Harbeth. The wonders of marketing.
I agree 100%

ive listened to a pair of 4k Graham ls35a and thought the 1k P3esr used sounded better

Where does a pair of Graham LS3/5A cost 4.000€ and where a pair of Harbeth P3ESR 1.000€? Either compare new with new or used with used!

BTW: A pair of Graham (Chartwell) LS3/5A costs 2.700€ new in Germany a pair of Harbeth P3ESR X.D. 3.115€.

Where does a pair of Graham LS3/5A cost 4.000€ and where a pair of Harbeth P3ESR 1.000€? Either compare new with new or used with used!

BTW: A pair of Graham (Chartwell) LS3/5A costs 2.700€ new in Germany a pair of Harbeth P3ESR X.D. 3.115€.
Harbeth P3ESR XD - £2,635
Harbeth SHL5PLUS XD - £5,295
Harbeth M40.3 XD - £17,795

Graham ls3/5 - £3,890
Graham ls8/1 - £9,424
Graham ls5/5 - £20,988
Prices in the UK

In Germany:
Harbeth P3ESR XD - 3.115€
Harbeth M30.2 XD - 5.250€
Harbeth SHL5PLUS XD - 6.250€
Harbeth M40.3 XD - 21.500€

Graham ls3/5(a) - 2.700€
Graham ls5/9 - 5.400€
Graham ls8/1 - 8.500€
Graham ls5/5 - 14.500€

I'll explain. In the Harbeth m40 speakers, the midrange is reproduced by an eight-inch Radial driver, it's in the middle between the tweeter and the bass driver. This Radial driver inside the cabinet has its own volume. That is, there is a small box attached to the front of the enclosure from the inside, in which the midrange Radial driver runs. You can see pictures of how this is set up in various reviews on the Harbeth m40. The rest of the cabinet is for the bass 12" driver. It needs a lot of volume and is slow. And the midrange Radial driver is fast. And it turns out that the midrange in the Harbeth m40 is faster than in the Harbeth shl5plus, where the Radial driver has to play both midrange and bass, so it runs the entire volume of the speaker cabinet.
Thanks, that’s interesting, didn’t realise it was a 8 inch driver for the mid which seems big tbh, I assumed they used a 6 inch or possibly the one from the P3s. You could then use a hi pass filter on the shl5 and use a couple of subwoofers and get a very good sound, as you would still have the super tweeters. A NAD M10 v2 which has lo and hi pass filters and Dirac could work very well, not as elegant as the M40s though but a fraction of the cost.

No, measurements will proof you wrong at least with the LS5/9 vs the M30.2 X.D. and the LS 5/5 vs. the M40.2..;)
Interesting things Alan Shaw said not long ago in his lectures on YouTube. In particular, he talks about how to properly estimate the frequency response graph. Judging from my observations on the forums, most people don't know what is critical and will be heard on this graph and what doesn't matter to our hearing. Also, There are his opinions on the HUG forum about how marketers tweak the graph to please the customer. So I trust only my ears. If I owned an anechoic camera, I would trust the graphs I made myself.
With all that said, I have not yet started the topic of driver cone sound, which will not be seen in the graph. Paper, Radial, Kevlar or plastic sound differently. Each of them contributes a different coloring.

So measurements from the same magazine aren't a reliable source to you? If you perceive it in that way like you told it above I wouldn't longer trust my ears.;)

BTW: A.S. has a degree in marketing so everything he is saying have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

So measurements from the same magazine aren't a reliable source to you? If you perceive it in that way like you told it above I wouldn't longer trust my ears.;)

BTW: A.S. has a degree in marketing so everything he is saying have to be taken with a pinch of salt.
When we talk about the lack of low middle and bass we start talking about the range of frequencies, which can not be measured without an anechoic chamber. Therefore, the objectivity of an anechoic chamber-less measurement is very low, because the measurement of long sound waves is done with software tricks, not live. This will always produce a large error.
I know Alan is a great marketer, but he is the one who made Harbeth's sound and fame what we know it to be.

advertisement

Back